Forums

Topic: Everything Marvel (Movies, Games, Comics, ect...)

Posts 1,381 to 1,400 of 1,414

Ryu_Niiyama

@jump she didn’t create westview, she hijacked it. The town exists, but anyone from the area (like the cops in the beginning) but don’t live in the city proper think they are from “Eastview”. That’s why they made the point of showing the welcome to Westview sign.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

jump

@Ryu_Niiyama Tbh I just couldn't be arsed to write "the illusory hex mystery thing affecting Westview reality" ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Ryu_Niiyama

Wandavision is really punching it up. The villain was obvious but not how the villain was involved or motive. So there is still plenty of room for a twist or two I think. I’m loving that Monica is getting her spotlight after being snubbed by the Captain Marvel movie. I enjoyed Captain Marvel, but it should not have been a Carol Danvers flick. Especially with how they wrote the power handoff. They had to rewrite Monica in the movie to make Carol a fit for Captain Marvel.

Monica was the first human Captain Marvel long before Carol and until she got sidelined by a executive suit and her writer was FIRED for protesting that decision; she was both a popular character and positive representation (although the mission that got her, her powers was a bit silly). Anyway.

I am hurting for Wanda and I am glad that at least Monica has her back.

On the comics side I have all of the Alex Ross timeless covers virgin except two which I will pick up in two weeks. Took 6 comic stores and ebay but I got it done despite only finding out about them 2 weeks ago. I’ll hunt down a few of the sketch covers later. Alex Ross is my favorite artist so I had to have these even though I stopped reading comics years ago. The bad part is I ended up picking up some other stories. The good part is my local comic store has shortchanged me on every transaction so once this is done I will be exiting comics again. Which saves me money.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

ToadBrigade

It Was Agatha All Along

Hollow Knight for Smash!

TheFrenchiestFry

I feel like anyone who's even read a lick of Scarlet Witch/Doctor Strange comics called that Agnes would be Agatha Harkness

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

jump

@Ryu_Niiyama I diagree about Monica should have Cap Marvel in the movie. Carol Danvers is the bigger character out of the two, has more logical ties to Captain Marvel unlike Monica who just turned up as Cap Marvel one day without a handover and it's in line with what the comics are doing.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Ryu_Niiyama

@jump ok, you are welcome to feel that way.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

jump

@Ryu_Niiyama well would care to explain why it should you have been Monica Rambeau... It's a pretty boring discusion otherwise.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Mr-Fuggles777

Anyone else excited for the new Alien book coming this month from Marvel

With no Power, comes no Responsibility!

My Nintendo: Badger | Nintendo Network ID: SW-7629-6884-5091

pilot

I just gotta say how hyped I am for falcon and the winter soldier. Theyre two of my favorite characters and the trailer looked great! Hopefully the show will end up being better than the trailer 😊

Playing:
BOTW
Hyrule Warriors AOC
Mario 3D Allstars
SpidermanPS4
Looking Forward To:
Pokemon Diamond Pearl remakes
Pokemon Legends Arceus
BotW2
Hoping for:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 on switch!
Remake of Wii sports resort

Mr-Fuggles777

@pilot I'm looking forward to it, hopefully it doesn't fizzle out and leave as many plot holes as WandaVision did.

pilot

absolutely loved the first episode of falcon and the winter soldier! I was very suprised and confused with the new captain america thing. Who is that? How will he affect the story going forward?

Playing:
BOTW
Hyrule Warriors AOC
Mario 3D Allstars
SpidermanPS4
Looking Forward To:
Pokemon Legends Arceus
BotW2
Hoping for:

pilot

Also I couldnt stop thinking of New Captain America XL! 😂

Playing:
BOTW
Hyrule Warriors AOC
Mario 3D Allstars
SpidermanPS4
Looking Forward To:
Pokemon Legends Arceus
BotW2
Hoping for:

DuluthLaker

Man, I’m super late to the topic here, lol. But as a kid I read comics randomly, not at all following series’ progressions or anything. Basically we got comics two ways as kids: 1. My dad would bring a few home that he would pick up at the store when we were sick or 2. My brother and I would ride our bikes to our local card shop that also sold some comics and we’d buy whatever we could afford that had a cool cover. So I never really knew the story arcs at all.

One of the last comics I remember reading was the first issue of Avengers 1998 when I was 13. I fell off comics after that as I got involved in other hobbies. I’ve checked out some MCU stuff over the years and enjoyed it, but never really got back into any of it.

Fast forward to now and my four year old daughter is absolutely in love with Spiderman and Ironman. So I bought her her first Avengers kids comic book and she loves it. So we started watching some of the animated series shows and movies and it’s got me wanting to get back into the comics a bit.

So I got a Marvel Unlimited sub and started back with Avengers #1 from 1998 to pick up where I left off as a kid. It’s been a blast. I’m almost through the 1998 run. Which brings the question...

Anyone have any links to a decent reading list of where to go from there?

DuluthLaker

Switch Friend Code: SW-2348-9926-8194

TheFrenchiestFry

I wonder with John Walker if they're going the Super-Patriot route of making him a villain of the show or if he's eventually going to become the USAgent once Falcon properly assumes the mantle

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

RR529

WandaVision (Disney+) - The first in a series of MCU related miniseries hitting Disney+, it follows Avengers Wanda Maximoff (the Scarlet Witch) & the Vision after the events of Avengers: Endgame in which the duo are trapped in a reality where the world exists as a classic sitcom centered around their daily life as husband & wife.

Absolutely gripping. The first two episodes were a bit slow (though unique for the franchise), but when things started to slowly fall apart (and when they started to reference sitcoms I grew up watching, like Malcolm in the Middle), I was absolutely hooked. I don't usually binge shows in a short period of time, but I chew through this over a single weekend. I did find it amusing that they portrayed their powers with the kind of low fi effects seen in classic sitcoms like Bewitched in the early episodes, and the Easter Egg involving a returning character, I believe Pietro was played by the actor from the X-Men movies?

Content Guide:

Language (Average) - PG-13 type stuff again.

Violence (Average) - Typical PG-13 superhero action.

Nudity/Sex (None) - Nothing to note here.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Mr-Fuggles777

Just read the 3 part Gwenom vs Carnage crossover that's part of the King in Black event.

The writing has definitely gone down hill since Jason Latour's run but the have done an ok job at copying Robbi Rodriguez's art style of the character.
What I wasn't keen on was them turning Mary Jane into Carnage, it meant there was way too much talking between the 2 girls and not enough wanton violence that you would expect for a venom/Carnage confrontation - a battle of the bands finally was just stupid

I am a little disappointed that I decided to skip out on the King in Black event after reading this as I do like Knull, but im too tied up in other books to commit to another Marvel wide event spanning 100 issues (I'm working my way through the Secret Invasion TBPs ready for the next MCU wave) but will grab the TPB later down the line.

RR529

The Falcon & Winter Soldier (Disney+) - Following the events of Avengers: Endgame, it follows the titular pair as they get involved in a plot set forth by a group of international anti-government "terrorists", and it must be decided who (if anyone) should be next to take up the sheild of Captain America.

It's not revelatory, but solid enough. There are a handful of great action scenes, the narrative works in some topical elements and works in a grey area where they expect the viewer to ask which side is really in the just? It kind of falls apart late into the final episode though, where the writers either assume they didn't get their themes through well enough (or that the audience wouldn't understand them) and have they key character blatantly preach the themes they were trying to get at.

Sam's Captain America look is really cool though, so I'm interested in seeing where he pops up next.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

jump

@RR529 I thought he looked rubbish, it's comic accurate but the white head piece doesn't bring it together as well as it did in the comics.

I think you misunderstood what the speech was for, it's not the writers explaining it's a grey area to the viewers but showing that Falcon is Cap. He's done the punchy part but as shown throughout the show he needs to be more than that. Cap is a moral character too which Falcon had avoided throughout the show by just focusing on stopping them rather than finding a solution otherwise you may as well have US Agent still be Cap.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Octane

So I've decided to go back and watch all the Marvel films, since I probably haven't seen half of them. Watched the first three this week, and thought I'll keep up top whatever list. Don't remember if I've actually seen Iron Man 2 or not, but it was the least of the first three. Haven't watched Captain America, so I'm looking forward to that one.

1. Thor
2. Iron Man
3. Iron Man 2

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic