Forums

Topic: Coronavirus outbreak

Posts 1,201 to 1,220 of 1,548

JaxonH

That report says about 1 in 3 are Asymptomatic. 1 in 3! That’s crazy.

It showed we’re nowhere near herd immunity right now. That’s not to say it won’t happen eventually. But it would require a much higher toll on all of us before getting there (not that we’ll likely end up with a choice in the matter- we fend it off the best we can but, eventually we may just get there, but at that point the vast majority will have been exposed anyways).

This kind of data is great. Need more of this. The power of statistics is amazing.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Eel

Yeah it's entirely possible that quite a few of us got infected at some point in the last few months.

And didn't notice.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ogo79

@Eel
and for those people its like it can come and leave the body at anytime.
i think about that a lot.
theres several people where i work that have been "sick" for weeks. they wont say why they arent coming to work...
yall stay safe

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

JaxonH

Got a bit of a cough, a brief spell or two yesterday. It wasn’t that bad. The urge to cough was just barely over the threshold to the point I did actually in fact cough. And it only lasted a few minutes, and that little spell only hit me like two different times throughout the day.

That was on day 8, you’re feeling basically fine for several days beforehand. The lines up with the chart that says people typically develop a cough around day 8 (and the more serious ones need a ventilator). Seems to be gone today though.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Xyphon22

All I need to know about COVID is that my wife's grandmother died from it and that my little girl has had her backpack packed for kindergarten for three years and now I have to break her heart and tell her she can't go. Just grow up and wear a mask. It's not that difficult.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

WoomyNNYes

@heavyarms55 So, how are schools doing over there in japan? I'm guessing ok, because japan managed it's outbreak.

I have no idea how schools can open in the US where the virus isn't contained. Opening schools will take massive loads of money, cleaning crews, actually adequate testing, partitions everywhere, temperature screenings, hand sanitizer dispensers, masks (obviously). We already see huge reluctance to pay for adequate testing. So, I don't see how opening schools can be done realistically without incredibly large costs.

My high school typically had 28-32 kids per class room, which is a room full. Most desks cannot be distanced. About 600 students per grade.

I know you have plenty to say about the US handling the virus, and I totally agree with it(so we can skip that). I'm mainly curious how schools are doing over there in japan. Or if you're aware of how schools can be open during an outbreak.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Heavyarms55

@WoomyNNYes Japan has handled the virus because Japanese culture already discouraged handshaking, hugs and contact beyond family and close friends and no one really bats an eyelash at wearing masks. However the numbers here are likely considerably higher than reported due to limited testing. Not out of control, but higher.

Schools are enforcing masks, educating kids and families and all schools have on duty nurses who got special training on how to watch for symptoms of the virus. Buy children cannot handle social distancing. I don't care how strict you are, you put 25-35 kids in a room and they are gonna play, touch, take masks off, etc etc.

The US opening schools despite knowing, for sure, that there have been millions of cases is insanity.

Japan has dodged the bullet so far. But the minute there is a confirmed outbreak in a school, someone is gonna "have to" "resign" publicly.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Ralizah

@JaxonH How ya doin, buddy?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Heavyarms55 The problem is in the US, schools are little more than a publicly funded daycare system of an effectively enforced 2 parent (or single parent) working model where nobody raises their kids, the government raises their kids and charges everyone for it. So for business and therefore parents to work, the "public daycare" needs to be open. Thus to keep anything functioning they need to just open the schools and whoever survives, survives.

I suppose it's consistent with US policy on everything. Survival of the fittest, the slow are left to die.

Though I do propose that we rename them from "school" to "sample" - so the children from Sample A, Sample B, Sample C etc, so as we operate the large brick incubators we can tag the test subjects appropriately. I can already imagine the kids ripping masks off other kids, stomping them on the floor, rubbing them on each other's faces to torment the kids following the rules. Kids suck everywhere, but kids of parents that have taught them that rules are for losers and defiance is freedom should be used for biofuel before their tenth birthday.

I also can't imagine the magical thinking in the US that says "the following states have controlled the outbreak and are safe while the rest of the country is in free fall." if it's not safe elsewhere....how long does it stay safe in the "safe" places? It's as though they don't remember how it superspread in Feb and Mar from single events to a dozen states......

NEStalgia

Xyphon22

I'm in east Tennessee, with my kids about to start third grade and kindergarten. The day after the school district released their safety protocols, parents started a petition to not have any changes in place whatsoever or they would pull their kids out. They want no distancing, no masks, nothing. They just want their kids out of their hair for eight hours. I'm so glad they are providing an online option.

And today our community is having the single largest public gathering in the world (I believe) since all of this started: the NASCAR race at Bristol with 30,000 in attendance. But it's okay because the Speedway holds over 120,000, so they don't have to sit near each other! This is going to be a disaster that will assuredly result in a multitude of deaths, but no one cares because "FREEDOM!" America sucks.

Edited on by Xyphon22

Xyphon22

RR529

Apparently the CDC is no longer going to be keeping track of Covid-19 numbers as the White House has/is setting up an in-house operation that will be doing so instead (apparently Trump wants hospitals to report their data to his administration's team rather than the CDC, so the official case count will be up to his administration).

That... Can't be good.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Xyphon22

@RR529 What are talking about? That's amazing. That means starting tomorrow (or whenever this goes into effect), coronavirus will have been eliminated in America! All those sick and dead people are clearly the result of something Trump and his cronies don't think is overblown. Maybe carpal tunnel or SIDS.

Xyphon22

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Doing great, thanks for asking.

However, another person in my lab tested positive. Theres only 5 of us total in here, and that makes 3 who've contracted it.

He said oh well, may as well just get it over with. Cant say I blame him. On the bright side, our lab will basically be immune after this 😀

RR529

@Xyphon22, I'm not sure when it goes into effect, but they were mentioning it on the news this morning.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

NEStalgia

@Xyphon22 That's surreal. At this point, China wants to nuke us, Russia wants to nuke us, I say go ahead, just nuke us, get it over with. It's not like it gets worse.

@RR529 Oh dear......

@JaxonH Be careful. It is not confirmed that there is any real immunity, and there is strong evidence, so far suggesting there is not long term immunity. The research is early, but several unrelated studies have so far shown a lack of antibodies after infection, showing that the antibodies last days to weeks and then in the plurality of patients are gone. Without durable immunity it means it's going to keep circulating (and mutating) among the same people over and over.

Further, some of the research was showing that the people that had the strongest antibody counts are the ones that were in ICU or dead, indicating that immunity at this point might be undesirable - an immune system producer a stronger, longer immunity is the one that gets people in trouble.

The point is, while none of that is confirmed, all of you should assume you are definitely NOT immune beyond a week or two out and that ALL of you can continuously keep getting it. Again that's not fully confirmed research, none is at this point, but it's a pattern that's appeared in multiple non-related studies, so it's a safe be there's something there. Fauci also commented on the lack of durability in immunity with vaccines.

NEStalgia

jump

The promoters who were going to be doing a series of drive in gigs in the UK have just cancelled the entire thing. They are stating it’s due to lockdown measures but the whole point of it being a drive in is that it’s keeps to the lockdown measures.

I’ve not been to a gig in months and I was really looking forward to this.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Ralizah

@JaxonH Eh. Unless you know something I don't, there hasn't been any confirmation on how widespread immunity to the virus is after infection, or how long that immunity lasts, so don't count on that. Glad you're feeling good.

@RR529 ...they're going to cook the books. I don't see any other reasonable conclusion to draw from this.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

gcunit

I've got a kid in infant school. They started back at school, I dunno, maybe 4 weeks ago. The deal was that they get grouped into 'bubbles' that supposedly don't mix with other bubbles. Then if anyone in a bubble gets symptoms the whole bubble bursts and stays home. I was confident it would burst within a week - they're always bringing coughs home - but no, still going strong.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

@NEStalgia @Ralizah
Ya ya, I know the whole "immunity isnt confirmed". It was just a half hearted joke. Hence the smiley.

That said, it may not be confirmed but if its anything like most other viruses, you'll probably develop antibodies. Which means immunity is likely to be similar how it works for the annual cold or flu. We havent seen any mass reports of people getting it twice yet, so there's that.

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic