Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,141 to 12,160 of 13,108

kkslider5552000

Fooligan wrote:

Isn't One Piece the one that people say takes 200 episodes (yes, 200) for it to START getting good?

Anyone who thinks One Piece isn't good at the start is an idiot. Whoever told you that you should cut out of your life.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Joeynator3000

I honestly just ignore anime "fans" anyways, most of them are just...ugh...Especially the dub haters.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Fooligan

It was just some random guy from some anime board I use to lurk on a long time ago so no big loss on my part.

What's this about dub haters though? Dubs are trash, Joe. Deal with it! Lol Nah just kidding. I think it just come down to what voices you hear first. Like how some baby animals imprint on the first thing they see.
Dragonball Z I first saw the dub back in the 90s and I saw a couple episodes in Japanese and the voices TO ME don't seem right.
Now on the other hand, Your Lie in April I saw the Japanese version first and then I tried to watch the dub and it just sounded wrong.

These pretzels are making me thirsty

"See, my damie, Pootie Tang don't wa-da-tah to the shama cow... 'cause thats a cama cama leepa-chaiii, dig?" - Pootie Tang

Joeynator3000

tries to watch One Piece again
Yay Funimation's stupid site is working again!!!

Keep it PG-13-ish.

kkslider5552000

That reminds me, I haven't bought a new One Piece DVD in a while. Need to get back to that (...I mean I have 350 episodes, shouldn't stop now :V)

uximal

@Joeynator3000 One piece is great, it already had more than 700 episodes,give it a try .Now I recommend Death Note and initial D, The first is a very serious anime ....No boobs at all... the latter is about street racing . so u will decide, btw Nettflix tried making a movie out DN and butchered it.

3ds | 4983-5921-3975 | Thiori. jr

Switch | SW-8120-4957-2416 | uximal

Joeynator3000

I do wish they had Blurays, oh wellz...but I yeah I may start grabbing DVDs of One Piece, I like it. As for the other suggestions, they're not my kind of anime, so...yeah.

Keep it PG-13-ish.

kkslider5552000

For the new season, I decided to watch Cells at Work and Planet With.

Both of which are proof that anything can be an anime if you want it to be. An anime version of Osmosis Jones? Sure. An anime that HAD to have been made in a game of Madlibs? Why not?

Fooligan

Cells at Work looks like it might be fun to watch. I don't know when I'll get around to watching it though. I'm still watching Fate/Zero, then I might start Attack on Titan (I saw the first episode in a twitch steam and now I want to watch the whole series) plus season three is coming out now so I don't need to wait.

These pretzels are making me thirsty

"See, my damie, Pootie Tang don't wa-da-tah to the shama cow... 'cause thats a cama cama leepa-chaiii, dig?" - Pootie Tang

TheCurator

Hey all, lately I convinced myself to start reading e-manga. Recommend me please some cool manga series that are available in online version. Thanks!

Wii U Owner!
Laptop Lenovo Ideapad 14-Inch HD Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB DDR3 248GB SSD OS Windows 10 Pro

Lloiddd

Speaking of "e-manga" I borrow lots of manga from my local library via an app (Hoopla).

RN I'm reading Lone Wolf and Cub and Usagi Yojimbo. Lots of graphic novels on there folks, check your local library before buying. Lots of DVD's and Blurays too (I just watched 2nd season of Attack on Titan because NF taking so long...)

FC Switch and 3DS 2810-1724-7536

-Green-

I've really been liking the Attack on Titan Anime and Manga as of late. Being the only manga I regularly keep an eye out for, I always liked it, but now that I'm feeling stable again, I feel super interested in it again.

It's getting somewhat complicated with it introducing newer characters and shifting perspectives. As a very empathetic person, I just really love these types of stories that focus on conflicted yet valid views and the premise is just cool all around. It's not easy for a manga/anime to catch my attention, but it's managed well.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Elvie

Is it wrong to say that Hunter X Hunter is underrated?

Edited on by Elvie

Elvie

CanisWolfred

Oh crap, I forgot to post in this thread when I was actually watching anime, so I guess I'll do a quick rundown of everything I've watched since...June???...alright...

Godzilla: Planet of Monsters - Part 2 - This cotinues to be an epic monster movie, and the first one I've enjoyed since the old black & white films. It helps that it's got a lot of really nerdy hard sci-fi stuff in it, but it's also the first set of monster films I've seen that made the human(oid) characters interesting, and that actually helped to make Godzilla more menacing. There's enough science to trick you into thinking he's a knowable, fallable entity that humanity can overcome....while still reminding the audience that they're dealing with a force of nature that cannot be controlled. I definitely look forward to part 3.

Akira - Finally got an excuse to watch this. The story felt nonsensicle towards the end, yet I was still left satisfied by the end. It helps that its animation is a marvel to behold. Glad I watched this classic.

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - This finally landed on Netflix, so I binge-watched it. Enjoyed it way more now that I watched it all at once, but the final episode is still silly - like it was ripped straight out of a G-Gundam movie. Still enjoyable, but it just clashes so hard with the rest of the series that it's tough to ignore its faults. It doesn't help that the main plot McGuffin was a lark, and while it was obvious from the getgo, they still tried to have that happily ever after ending instead of using their foolish pursuit in more creative and fitting ways...and its not like there wasn't set up, or at least precedense for it. Hell, a lot of Gundam series endings range from tragic to bittersweet. Again, this was just silly, and certainly made me feel like I wasted my time when I first saw it. Hopefully the upcoming sequel, Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative, does a better job storywise...I mean, c'mon...it's even got Narrative in the name.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Finished watching the dubbed version. I still have the sequel, Yamato 2202, to watch, but I'll wait until all the episodes are out. If its anything like its predecessor, it'll be hard to put down once it gets going.

I also rewatched a bit of Zoids: Zero Century - at least enough to remind myself it's awesome - and tried to find some newer anime to watch. Only success so far is Double Decker, which I'm gonna be following the simuldub of, simply because I really think this buddy cop Tiger & Bunny spiritual successor works better when its Not-NYPD cops are actually speaking English. I still want to try Radiant, which I heard on the grape vine was based on a french comic, and I see SSSS.GRIDMAN finally came out, so I'll be all over that.

I suppose it's still a shame that I had so much trouble finding seasonal anime that interested me in the one year where I really wanted something to break me out of the cycle of non-stop comfort food binges in the form of nostalgic rewatches and shounen battle-marathons, but at least this season looks promising enough. Still, on the topic of Shounen anime, I recently encountered some convincing evidence that Black Clover is a lot better than it was initially given credit for, and convinced me that it could really be a worthwhile binge-watch, especially considering my well-documented Action Addiction.

...although, what I saw was towards the end of the 50-episode first season, and yes, there's definitely going to be more, and there's no denying that the first 17 episodes was pretty bad, and the animation in the series overall could be spotty - like, "hey, get off the screen Waspinator, you're getting in the way of the action sce- oh, that was what they were actually supposed to be fighting..." kind of bad at times...

It's kind of hard to convince myself to sit through what is currently a third of the show that's subpar, just to get to the better later half, and the fact that even die-hard fans seem to end most praise with, "but I guess you could always just read the manga," especially when Asta's screaming comes up, doesn't do it any favors.

...but then again, I've certainly put up with worse protagonists for longer periods of time, and now that I think about it, ~20 episodes was about how long I felt Fairy Tail took before it became a consistantly enjoyable watch, having come off as largely dull and uninspired up until that point. So who knows, maybe I can push on through the trite, and it'll turn into yet another shounen suger-high that has me hooked, just like Fairy Tail di-

What's that? Fairy Tail's back on the air?

...well, screw that noise. Sorry Black Clover, but I'm already ~200 episodes into the parts of Fairy Tail that are actually good, so, you know...priorities...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

Elvie wrote:

Is it wrong to say that Hunter X Hunter is underrated?

Yes. One of the best anime of all time can't be underrated, because the term "underrated" is reserved for shows no one's actually heard of when it came out. Not, you know, one of the most consistantly praised shounen anime of the decade, one that seems to have a permanent spot on the top 25 anime on Crunchyroll in spite of the fact that modern simulcast streaming anime fans seem to have the memory of a fruit fly and completely forget about shows the moment the next season airs...there's a ton of of great shows that get buried further every season, yet Hunter x Hunter always shines through. If that is underrated somehow, then we need an entirely new metric to account for all the shows the anime community forgot just this past month, simply because they ended.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Elvie

@CanisWolfred I guess it's just my opinion that I don't think it's popular enough. I personally think it's on par or even better than One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach but it seems like those manga/anime series resonate better with people in general as I feel like they're talked about all the time.

Look at the Shonen Jump crossover games. They tend to include around 5 characters from each of those series I mentioned in the roster but only half or so for Hunter X Hunter. That doesn't appear to be the case with the upcoming Jump Force, although the E3 reveal still put prominent emphasis on Dragon Ball, One Piece, and Naruto.

I think the only platform in the West where it has really taken off was Crunchyroll as something like Toonami has pushed it to the end of their lineup so re-runs of Dragon Ball Z Kai and two Naruto series can be at the forefront.

Edited on by Elvie

Elvie

CanisWolfred

@Link-Hero I somehow confused your description with The Lost Village halfway through, so my eyes glazed over until I looked it up and realized what you were really talking about. I've been meaning to watch Bokurano since 2008 - way before I knew you could watch anime online. I forgot it was picked by Crunchyroll a while ago, so I guess I should remember to prioritize it. My only concern is if it's gonna be kinda brutal...I'm much more sensitive to violence and dark themes than I was when I was an edgelord teenager...

Elvie wrote:

Look at the Shonen Jump crossover games. They tend to include around 5 characters from each of those series I mentioned in the roster but only half or so for Hunter X Hunter.

I mean, Hunter x Hunter would probably have more of a following by now if it had new manga chapters on a consistant basis...which it doesn't. Remember what I said earlier about the anime audience tending to focus on new stuff while old stuff rarely gets brought into the conversation once they've stopped airing. One Piece is still going, prequel to Boruto has a series that's still going, and both of these ran consistantly for an entire generation. Meanwhile, Dragon Ball has recently made a comback in the form of Dragon Ball Super after being pretty much done in Japan almost 2 decades, so those BDZ Kai reruns are there to help new fans get up to speed.

You can't compare to that. Hunter x Hunter might be a better show (it's an easy case, honestly), but you don't win a marathon by sprinting at the fastest speed humanly possible, and then sitting it out for the rest of the decade. They have brand power that very few others can compare to, you may as well be saying Steven from Steven Universe is underrated because he's not as ubiquitous as Bug's Bunny, Mickey Mouse, and Daffy Duck. Every standard has qualifications that go beyond quality - what you're saying is the Hunter x Hunter deserves to be cemented into our very culture, but the cement machine broke down around the same time the manga went on haitus for the zillionth time.

I'll reiterate: Hunter x Hunter is great, and deserves the praise its gotten. But it's a lot harder for good shows to stand out these days just be being good compared to the pre-streaming era simply because of the sheer amount of anime we're exposed to nowadays. Please note that the biggest question anime fans could have right now is: what other series could possibly have the lasting cultural effects that Jojo's Bizarre adventures, One Piece, and Boruto's Family History once those series inevitably end? HxH could hopefully still have the fond memories and cult status that shows like Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist have enjoyed all these years - that's the best you hope for out of most great anime, that they aren't immediately forgotten, and continue to be praised and enjoyed for years to come. But the dead can't be a leader, only an inspiration for the living.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

Ironically, I feel like Hunter X Hunter is WAY more popular than it was when I first got back into it. It was one of the first manga series I got into around like 06, and while it had a following, the 2011 anime really brought it a lot of attention, particularly over here. AFAIK the manga had its best debut weeks for new volumes post-hiatus era as well.

I remember when Viz dubbed the 1999 anime and no one cared, huge contrast from now where I see discussions about it fairly regularly, despite the anime ending like 4+ years ago.

Nemodius

Who would like to see the Ravenloft novels turned into anime' ???

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic