Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,001 to 12,020 of 13,108

kkslider5552000

I'd be hard-pressed to think of one off the top of my head. Closest would be Nichijou, but that's more like if the occasional over-the-top and weird jokes of Azumanga started taking over everything.

Well there is School Rumble. I love it (even more than Azumanga) but it is much more of a romantic comedy sort of thing.

It's interesting because I feel like a lot of comedy anime are inspired by Azumanga but none of them are quite the same.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Joeynator3000

Azumanga did make me think of School Rumble when I started watching, which made me love it even more. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Phazon

Tsurii wrote:

@Phazon he's an actual mod, smartass

Well obviously I didn't know that, smartass.

Didn't realise a Star meant mod/admin ect..

Besides, this is my last post in this thread, not setting foot in here anymore so ridicule me as much as you want (which you'll probably go back to doing asap)

Phazon

Krull

Any recommendations for Netflix (UK) anime? I thoroughly enjoyed Hunter x Hunter, probably as much as any other series I've seen, only to discover that Netflix randomly failed to buy the last 20 or so episodes, cutting off midway through an arc. Then I just started watching Case Closed today, only to find the 50-odd episodes start from about #748 in the series. Weird.

As a side note, I'm not into mecha (so no Code Geass), and I've already seen and enjoyed FMA, Rurouni Kenshin, Death Note, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, among others.

Edited on by Krull

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

RR529

@Krillin_, don't watch anything localized by Funimation on Netflix, as they always short them on episodes for whatever reason. Granted, I'm not sure who localizes HunterXHunter in the UK, but Funimation does in the US, along with FMA:B & Ghost in the Shell: Arise, which are also missing their final episodes on Netflix (the latter of which is only 4 episodes in total, so it's not just Netflix trying to scrimp out on 100+ episode series).

As for recommendations, I've really only watched mecha series on Netflix so far, so I can't help you further.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Krull

@RR529 Appreciate the feedback, anyway! Might try Kill La Kill - it does at least appear to be complete.

crimsontadpoles

@Krillin_ Netflix UK was fine for me when I watched Kill la Kill, and wasn't missing any of the main episodes (can't remember if it had the OVA). That was over a year ago, so something could have changed since then. Kill la Kill is my favourite anime, so I highly recommend giving it a try, just don't take it too seriously.

Netflix did annoy me in the past back when they removed Death Note shortly before I was going to watch it.

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

RR529

@Krillin_, yeah, Kill la Kill should be fine, since it's Sentai Filmworks I believe (at least here in the US). Anything localized by Sentai, Aniplex, or Netflix themselves should be complete.

Watched it when Toonami showed it over here. Not one of my favorites, but it was a pretty fun time.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

CanisWolfred

Kill La Kill is licensed by Aniplex. Also, Hunter x Hunter is a VizMedia license. Just wanted to point that out...you can find that info on MyAnimeList for pete's sake...no need to guess...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

Aldnoah Zero (Netflix)

Story/Characters - Mecha series set in an alternate reality where the moon landing lead to the discovery of the advanced technology of a dead Martian civilization, where war breaks out between a revived Martian Empire (founded by the scientists who first colonized the planet) and the Earth, and the local guys & gals are heavily outgunned. In terms of plot it doesn't really do anything new (actually, season one even sort of reminded me of Iron Blooded Orphans with their basic goal), but it's not bad by any means & does it's job, and I really appreciated the focus on winning by strategy over insurmountable odds. None of the main cast really stood out to me (other than maybe Yuki), but I didn't dislike anyone either. My only disappointments were that we never really learned the history behind the Mars civilization, and I wish Inaho & Aseylum found a way to be together.

Animation/Art - Everything really looks nice & clean, and the action really shines. I loved the design of the Earth's catifracts (the mechs), especially the green glow of the computer monitors on the inside (call me old fashioned, but I've always loved that look), while Mars' were more hit & miss, especially since they often were centered around some gimmick that didn't always seem exactly practical.

Music/VA - Seemed to fit the tone, and while it got me pumped from time to time, I'm really not the best person to discuss music in general. Watched it dubbed for convenience, as dubs never bothered me.

Content Guide (None, Low, Mid, High, Extreme)

Language: Mid - Nothing too crass. About the same level as your typical JRPG.

Violence: Mid - It is a war series afterall. Nothing too gruesome or gory, but it does feature it's fair share of blood (streaming down one's face, or pooling at a gunshot wound type stuff).

Sex/Nudity: Low - There's two or three shower/bath scenes throughout the series, but nothing is shown, and I don't think they were presented in a fanservicy way (in fact, the first one is quite a serious scene). There's a beach scene at the start of season 2, but again, it's about as tame as you could expect.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Spoony_Tech

Anybody watch the newly released Death Note on netflix yet? Just got done watching it and they couldn't have done a better job casting L. While I didn't like some of the changes it still was a good movie and worth the watch.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Krull

@Spoony_Tech Good to hear! I can't quite bring myself to watch an Americanised Death Note, even though I like the idea of Willem Dafoe voicing Ryuk. I just fear it would ruin my memories of watching the anime. Netflix are pretty good, though, so I'm sure they've done it some justice.

kkslider5552000

crimsontadpoles wrote:

Death Note isn't my favourite anime, but it's one of those shows that I think is very hard to improve upon.

I mean, if they aired the first 20 or so episodes again except changed it to that SPOILER doesn't die and continued from there, literally everyone would agree it would've been better so...

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Krull

kkslider5552000 wrote:

crimsontadpoles wrote:

Death Note isn't my favourite anime, but it's one of those shows that I think is very hard to improve upon.

I mean, if they aired the first 20 or so episodes again except changed it to that SPOILER doesn't die and continued from there, literally everyone would agree it would've been better so...

Ha, that might work. Or keep the ending of the first series of Death Note and END IT THERE. Not the most disappointing second series of any anime I've ever seen, but it really did fall off a cliff.

In other news, I'm thoroughly enjoying Kill La Kill. Felt a bit like it was struggling with ADHD to start with, but it's very funny. Cheers for all the feedback from everyone.

Chalupa

So who is ready for the upcoming fight in DBS?

Trust in yourself
https://vid.me/Chalupa
https://mastodon.social/@Chalupa

RR529

Blame! (Netflix Original)

Let me preface this by saying I have no previous experience with the series, however, from my limited research I understand this film is more of a side story. With that said, I'll be looking at the movie as a standalone entity.

It's biggest positive is that it's a real visual stunner. It's a dark world, but a pretty unique take on the machine apocalypse theme, and it's fully realized thanks to the extreme attention to detail. The effects from Killy's Gravity Disruption whatever gun were particularly a sight to behold, and the action in general was very well done. The only drawback to the visuals are that as a CGI anime, the human characters can appear stiff at times.

However, other than it's gorgeous art, there's not much else here. The basic plot isn't bad, but it doesn't really do anything new either. I couldn't care less about the characters (I felt like there were too many of them, and while I know they did this so they could kill off a fair number of them, the result is that the mains aren't very developed), especially Killy who has NO personality whatsoever.

You may find more to like in it if you know about the main series, and it's decent enough that it's probably worth a once over for fans of sci-fi anime, but I didn't think it was anything too special.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Phazon

@Chalupa >Watching garbage like dbs

also, care to ban me joeynator?

Since your "high and mighty" a.k.a modding for free.

Edited on by Phazon

Phazon

Spoony_Tech

@Joeynator3000 @Phazon Why would you poke the bear? If it's sleeping, let it!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Phazon

@Spoony_Tech

Because he's just another person behind a pc screen.

He can be easily demoted/promoted at will.

Besides, I can get away with whatever I want cause it's the interwebz right?

That seems to be the new ongoing trend nowadays.

Phazon

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic