Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 11,841 to 11,860 of 13,108

kkslider5552000

I keep meaning to give Pokemon Adventures a shot, but I never have the time...

So, Toonami's currently at 8 episodes out of 12 for Tokyo Ghoul (the first season anyway). I can't say it's great but after Akame Ga Kill and other recent LOOK HOW SERIOUS AND DARK AND BLOODY WE ARE shonen anime, it's a massive improvement over something like that. Really like the gray and grey morality thing it's pulling (which I guess is the only way you can go when your heroes need to eat human flesh to survive), and I like the pacing of everything. It's enjoyable.

Though I've heard the 2nd season is a huge letdown so...

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

kkslider5552000

Tsurii wrote:

I'm curious what other series you're thinking of tho because I feel like in terms of "look at how dark and edgy I am"-series Akame ga Kill and Tokyo Ghoul are by far the worst offenders in recent years.

If you want to see a good series in that vein (as in, battle series with horror elements) go for Parasyte. That's just about the only one I can think of that isn't super tryhard.

brutally honest, I've watched Parasyte. It's better than Tokyo Ghoul, it's also more dull than Tokyo Ghoul. If it wasn't better than Tokyo Ghoul, I would very easily take Tokyo Ghoul over it any day of the week. Parasyte is not nearly as fun as it should be, especially since I thought I would love it considering what it is about.

And no it is not remotely as bad as Akame Ga Kill. Akame Ga Kill is so dull despite everything its doing, it looks like a mediocre anime from a decade ago, its themes feel fake and meaningless and it over-relies on comedy that other people do better. Tokyo Ghoul genuinely cares about what it is saying and why, it cares about most of its characters and I feel like they are at least characters with like, a real personality.

My point is Akame Ga Kill is ****ing awful. Just a failure of an attempt to make entertaining tv animation (and I'm not difficult to please when it comes to this I think).

Jhena

Bakuon: A pretty good anime about a motorcycle school club. It was a very uplifting and funny watch. Good harmony between the heroines. Would definitely recommend.

Big Order: It was ok but i didnt really like it.

Bungo Stray Dogs S1: Nice enough first half. Nakajima is a pathetic type protagonist who isnt annoyingly pathetic and is actually likeable. I also like the rest of the cast.
Wasnt amazed by the anime but it entertained me enough to look forward to the rest.

Endride: Didnt really like it.

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

RR529

Yeah, Tokyo Ghoul isn't really my thing. In terms of Toonami, I really only care about DBZ Kai, Attack on Titan season 2 (a suprise, as the first season didn't grip me), Hunter X Hunter, & Gundam Unicorn (ESPECIALLY Gundam Unicorn).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

FriedSquid

Glad I'm not the only one who thought Akame Ga Kill was bad, heh. I tried Tokyo Ghoul a long time ago and couldn't quite get into it, and I didn't care for the English dub on Toonami so again, couldn't get into it. I think I'll still try the manga someday, however (same goes for Parasyte).

Unfortunately, now with Samurai Jack ended, the only things that keep my attention on Toonami are Dragon Ball Super and DBZ Kai. By the time the Resurrection of F arc came along, DB Super had bored me so much that I stopped watching it, so I'm only waiting for the dub to pass that arc. Hopefully it gets better.

I really need to watch Gundam Unicorn though. I missed some of the episodes on TV so I can't justify watching it until I've started from the beginning.

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

kkslider5552000

Yeah, hasn't been much reason to watch too much of Toonami for a while. Mainly because of the focus on long runners and the like. I don't want to watch 2 Dragonball shows at once so I havent' actually tried Super yet, I'm not rewatching Shippuden and I've seen most of Hunter X Hunter 3 times before so I'm not watching the dub until it gets past Greed Island, if at all. And they spent so many times on meh to dreadfully boring/bad series when so many great series are out there. I get why they did it but...meh...

But the past few weeks has been the most I've enjoyed it for quite some time, so that's good. And it's getting the new Lupin the Third anime, which is awesome. And also I found out basically right after season 1 was done airing that they are finally dubbing more Jojo. So I'm excited for that.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

FriedSquid

That's right! I forgot about the Lupin III dub coming. It's a series I really want to get into but just never started watching. Hopefully that will be a good introduction.

And yes, I'll be excited for the Stardust Crusaders dub to arrive — so far the JoJo dub has been very good imo.

Sav'aaq!
My Squidloggery

kkslider5552000

Link-Hero wrote:

If you want to start watching Lupin the Third

hahahahaha "start watching". That's funny.

1. Lupin the Third is nothing new for me. I'm pretty sure I was watching it when Bush was still in office.
2. There is no long-term continuity for Lupin the Third, it doesn't matter if you watch the old series.

FriedSquid

@Frosty_09 No need to worry friend, I'm a long time JoJo fan so it's not my first time with the series. I've already watched it all with subs, I just like to rewatch it with the dub cause I think it's good. And true, I'd probably enjoy Lupin III more in Japanese, so I plan on exploring the rest of the series in Japanese some day (too many other anime/manga on my plate atm lol!). As for HxH, I'm not very interested in it, though I've heard it's good. When I decide to try that I think I'll take a look at the manga anyways.

@Link-Hero Thanks, good to know! I'll definitely check it out there sometime.

Sav'aaq!
My Squidloggery

CosmicLight

Steins Gate.

Steins Gate is awesome. Time Travel alternate time lines thing was well done.

I was surprised that John Titor was a real thing that happened.

CosmicLight

Jhena

Flying Witch: A nice and laid back slice of life with some magic. I found the heroine to be slightly boring but the rest of the cast made up for it.

Hai-furi: Ugh how i hate those pedophile shows. Its boring and so full of bad BS it made me angry sometimes. Besides the It happened in the train joke it wasnt even remotely funny to make up for the stupid stuff thats happening. Seriously when will this virus finally disappear from the anime scene?

Sakamoto desu ga: Maybe garbage like hai furi is only produced to make stuff like sakamoto shine even brighter. It was good and it was full of the good kind of BS. The humour was also good. Episode 13 was unnecessary to watch though. I hate those filler recap episodes. Feels like playing a new kingdom hearts.

Jhena

Krull

So Netflix does anime... I actually quite enjoyed Tokyo Ghoul (S1 much more than S2), but then I started Hunter x Hunter, and I realised what a massive jump in quality it represents. Superb show. Like a less goofy One Piece, and not afraid to get a little bit dark.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Jhena

Hundred: Id like to say its just another academy harem. It is but the more i watch the worse it gets. They say it gets easier the more people you kill. What a despicable thing must the academy harem be to be the opposite.

Its so full of chliches the people arent capable of recognizing a female because her boobs arent visible. Genre typical the anime shows us in the first episode who will be the lead $$tch of the mainprotagonist by having them meet partly undressed or undressing in the room they will from now on live together.
The rest of the female cast also behaves just like human toilets to release oneself into. And the hero is of course the typical chosen servant boy whos to ashamed to use the toilet. Seriously harems are only fun in the monogatari series or in dreams. I feel so stupid and a$$$ual after this show. Another virus of the anime scene.

Funny thing is its the same production as hai furi. They seem to love their viruses. No wonder being the virus.

Jhena

RR529

Ah, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, that series I'll always remember where the protagonist actually teamed up with a Nazi, lol (so it definitely earns it's title). Heck, my bro and I thought Stroheim's face/hair actually looked a bit like Captain Planet's, so we nicknamed him "Nazi Captain Planet" (heck, he even uses solar power of sorts, lol).

Seriously though, I enjoyed that series much more than I thought I would. Probably BECAUSE it's based on something older, when shonen battle series still mostly took place in a variation of the real world, which makes them more interesting, IMO.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Jhena

Jojos bizarre adventure Diamond is unbreakable: A really good anime. But if i remember correctly the dio arc was kinda better. Maybe i liked the old cast better. Or it was that journeying that i liked more. Still part 4 has great characters and though i didnt like josuke very much in the beginning he grew on me. I even like his hair. I really missed polnareff though^^

I remember laughing loudly sometimes in the dio arc. This time i only exhaled air with more pressure. I dont mean its not funny. It has very much humour.

Easily one of the better shows of the season im watching right now. And id recommend watching.

Jhena

RR529

@Tsurii, I've only seen the first two arcs, because that's all they've shown on Toonami so far. I'm sure once the newest two seasons are dubbed however, they'll pick them up.

The only anime I'm keeping up with this season are Atom: the Beginning, Dragon Ball Super, Kyokai no Rinne, Little Witch Academia, & My Hero Academia.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Seacliff

Alright, this will be controversial because it's from China and not Japan, but I have been enjoying 'The King's Avatar'.

It's obviously taking on the popular MMO genre that's been popularized by SAO. However, this show takes more of a eSports theme, which is a popular scene in China. The story follows one of the top players of an MMO called Glory who had his account taken away from his manager and was forced to retire from the competitive scene of the game. He then decides to create a new account and start from scratch.

One thing I like about this show is that it goes deeper into the game mechanics and the inner politics between the major guilds within the game than most MMO animes. Not too unsimilar to Log Horizon. The main character is OP like Kirito from SAO, but it's because he knows the game's mechanics very well after 10 years and knows how to exploit them... and not because he has some unexplained Deus Ex Machina level of skill. This effects his strategies when fighting bosses with underleveled parties and even his character build.

I hear people say the show is generic, but that's how I have felt about anime in general for years now and that doesn't stop me from enjoying a show as long as it is well written and entertaining.

Edited on by Seacliff

Seacliff

kkslider5552000

Seacliff wrote:

It's obviously taking on the popular MMO genre that's been popularized by SAO.

Wow, has .Hack really become that irrelevant? :V

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic