Forums

Topic: A Music Thread

Posts 1,961 to 1,980 of 2,048

skywake

Picked up Gorillaz self titled on Vinyl, saw it flipping through the records and couldn't not pick it up. Essential album. Also means I'm now 2/3 for albums from the "young skywake musics trillogy" of albums that actually ended up being pretty good even in retrospect. Gorillaz Selftitled, Spiderbait - Grand Slam, Outkast - Stankonia. Stankonia is the one I'm missing, if I ever see it I'm picking it up

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

@skywake I always preferred Demon Days as their pièce de resistance myself but the first album is great too. It's weird that what started out as an indie band with cartoon characters has slowly been drifting to becoming a hip hop mix tape for indie fans.

I'm seeing them next week at a day festival along with Idles, Pusha T, Turnstile, Self Esteem, Yves Tumor etc so whoop whoop.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

skywake

@jump
Hard to pick which one is better in my mind and I think most of their discography is pretty damn solid. But super young teen me was obsessed with those three albums. Or at least some select singles on those few albums. I never actually picked up the CDs because I wasn't yet at the point where I was buying proper albums for some reason. I mostly just got "hits" compilations

And the only one I ended up getting on CD was Stankonia, WAY later. The rest I "acquired" on the high seas and/or just played on Spotify. So those albums in particular, has some meaning picking them up on Vinyl now. Something about revisiting your super early music taste when you were first figuring out what that was. Also super nostalgic

Though I probably won't be picking up Creed or Linkin Park any time soon......

Edited on by skywake

Rambler

jump wrote:

@skywake I always preferred Demon Days as their pièce de resistance myself but the first album is great too. It's weird that what started out as an indie band with cartoon characters has slowly been drifting to becoming a hip hop mix tape for indie fans.

I'm seeing them next week at a day festival along with Idles, Pusha T, Turnstile, Self Esteem, Yves Tumor etc so whoop whoop.

That's quite a line up! A bit jealous....

Hope Pusha T does Grindin'!

Rambler

jump

@Rambler Pusha T mostly sticks with his own stuff rather than including the odd Clipse tune in his setlist so no Gridin'.

I'm in two minds about when people go solo and play music from their original band, if you ask Bjork to play music from that pop group she was in it would be mental however then someone like Jack White how's output as a solo artist is fudging amazing but has half the setlist be The White Stripes/The Raconteurs songs which in some ways is annoying as you don't get to hear his own material. Rob Zombie does it well by playing a couple of key White Zombie songs normally Thunder Kiss '65 and More Human Than Human so then his own discographyc can still shine in the setlist.

In should be a fun day regardless of what he plays although I'm not looking forward to how there's overground, bus and tube strikes in London all happening at the same day as the fest, it should make for a very long drunken walk home.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

@jump
Transport strikes sound like no fun

Yeah, I know what you mean. That Rob Zombie example is good - play those two well known songs, but those two only.
In one way it might show up the quality of the new so stuff against the older songs, which is not a good thing to do, I would think, but Johnny Marr gets away with it.
Bjork's solo stuff is massively different to the Sugarcubes, but I think Jack White's solo and band stuff are complementary, so I can see why he is able to pull that off, even if 7 Nation Army is what everyone wants to hear.
Bjork could throw in a couple of Kukl tunes, mind.

In another way, New Order didn't play any Joy Division songs for years - think it's only since the release of the last couple of albums (or since Hooky left maybe).

Rambler

Kermit1doesmath

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika I wonder why people diss people who listen to old stuff. The only modern music I like is Owl City.

I'm on a boat

dysgraphia awareness human

cheetahman91

Can't believe my old thread is still around. 2009 sure was a different time. I can think of 20 songs off the top of my head that are better than Mountain Music lol.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

Kermit1doesmath

@cheetahman91 most of the old posts with links are broken and bring you to a 504 (I think thats what you call them) page.

dysgraphia awareness human

skywake

So random story I wanted to type somewhere but don't really want to post to social media for reasons that should become obvious. My work ran a secret santa draw and in this draw you can put down a list of things you're into. I put in said list a link to my collection of vinyl and said "this is the vinyl I have". Said link includes artists like King Gizzard, Nirvana, Pixies, ZZ Top, Radiohead, Idles, Slowdive, Father John Misty, Gorillaz, Outkast, Blondie, Genisis Owusu, Tyler the Creator. So relatively eclectic but I think there's a bit of a vibe there

I got Machine Gun Kelly. No offense to anyone who likes said artist but, not really my vibe.....

Now I'm not usually a re-gifting or returns sort of person but I suspect I have a limit and may have found it. So after Christmas when everything has settled I'm probably going to go to my local used record shop and see what they can do for me. Been wanting to add something by A Tribe Called Quest to my collection

Edited on by skywake

Rambler

@skywake
I think swapping MGK for ATCQ breaks the laws of physics - you're definitely getting more out than you put in!

Rambler

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic