Forums

Topic: DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 741 to 760 of 782

maceng

@Frosty_09 Some really good gems in there.

For rpgs fans, Lunar Knights, Knight in the Nightmare, Solatorobo (the only one from the list I don't have currently) and Super Robot Taisen Og are highly recommended.

Also, the Sonic Rush and the Henry hatsworth games are so underrated it makes me almost cry.

I remember paying 35 bucks for a new Chinatown Wars about a year ago. Also highly recommended.

Edited on by maceng

maceng

TOUGHDUDE94

I want to know is okamiden a good game also Pokémon ranger

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

Tyranexx

@andrew20: Okamiden is a really good game, one I would definitely recommend. If you haven't played its predecessor Okami though, I recommend picking that up as well, and playing it first for story reasons; IMO Okami is the better of the two. Both games are beautiful and very steeped in Japanese/Shinto mythology, and have quite a charming story and humor besides.

I've only played the first Pokemon Ranger, and while not a perfect game, it's one of the better spinoffs. Capturing Pokemon with the capture line (AKA drawing the stylus around them in circles) can be quite challenging. You can use said captured Pokemon in an area to solve environmental puzzles and to assist you in "befriending" other Pokemon in the area. Once you leave an area, those Pokémon are returned to the wild. The story is nothing to write home about, but it is passable.

As with my many other recommendations, if you're not sure if you'll like a game, I recommend trying to find some gameplay videos of earlier parts of the games and watching them to see if they're to your liking.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

TOUGHDUDE94

Also anyone do they have good 3D platformers on the DS

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

Late

@andrew20 I've played all 3 Pokémon Ranger games. I like Shadows of Almia the most. The battles are great and I like the characters but the story is simple and the kind of humor the game has is not for everyone (bit childish at times).

As for 3D platformers, I can't recommend any games other than Super Mario 64 DS. I don't think I own any others even though I have quite good collection of DS games. The console wasn't really designed for 3D platformers.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Tyranexx

Super Mario 64 DS is the only 3D platformer on the DS that I've played, though a quick Google search has shown that there may be a few movie licensed games (like Meet The Robinsons) that fit the criteria.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

annawini

DS games are worthy the price or not? I have the 3DS console but want to play ds games too.

annawini

gcunit

@annawini Depends on the game and the price somewhat, I think. If you find a copy of 'Deal or No Deal' for sale at $200, I don't think that's worth the price.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Tyranexx

@annawini: It would depend on the game and price. If you don't mind used games, they usually aren't priced too badly. New games are obviously going to ask for the big bucks as these are more often aimed at collectors. Some companies like Square Enix still manufacture their own DS games; I picked up both Chrono Trigger DS and Dragon Quest V in a sale on their website a little while back.

Also, while these games are rare, watch out for for any DS games that required attachments in the GBA slot of the DS/DS Lite to play them (like Guitar Hero: On Tour).

gcunit

TL;DR All the games!

@Knighty_IX - terrific effort, well done you. One day I'll go through the whole post and see which games I've got/played.

Edited on by gcunit

gcunit

@Knighty_IX Can I suggest you put the games you class as your 'own personal favourites' in bold, as a way to differentiate them from the others?

I'm curious regarding your Etrian Odyssey ranking. If I'm interpreting your list correctly, you're ranking EO3 highest, whereas I'm used to people saying that EO3 is the weakest entry.

samus1818

I rarely see these two games mentioned anywhere. I've played and finished Final fantasy 4 Heroes of Light-Not Pt. 4 but there's 4 heroes-and Final fantasy 12 Revenant Wings. 4 Heroes, looks like the inspiration to Bravely Default. I'm happy they kind of brought back 4 heroes because back in the day it got ok reviews. P.S. I still need to get to Bravely Default. I want to play that game.
FF 12 Revenant is NOTHING like the original or re-released FF 12 (same characters but different levels). It's a Final Fantasy game that's really different from any other FF game I've played; this game is like Pikmin. You have to summon monsters to help you, you summon one Esper along side your weaker monsters, you're also using 4 main human characters, and you direct everyone towards your enemies. I really like both, and they both sort of deviate from the usual FF layout.

samus1818

Krull

@Knighty_IX That is a seriously awesome list. Just bought myself a secondhand DS, as I feel the need to dig back into Nintendo classics, given that all we're going to get on Switch are NES games for the foreseeable. I will be checking this a fair bit over the next year, as I scout secondhand game stores for hidden treasures!

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Krull

My collection is starting off with Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario 64 DS and Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings, which I'm all very happy with (it was an eBay deal). DQIX is pretty much top of my want list, though.

SuperLuigi111

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa. Severely overlooked game. It is a full-on 3D platformer that is shockingly well made and one of the best games I have played on the system.

I'm sure a lot of people already know this one, but Cop: The Recruit. Basically GTA on the DS. Amazing from a technical standpoint and proves that many developers were lazy and did not push the console to its full potential.

Also, Eragon. Yeah, the adaptation of that ill-received movie. It is actually quite an amazing game with a huge open world. Basically Legend of Zelda proper on the DS. Check it out for sure.

SuperLuigi111

SuperLuigi111

Been thinking about getting Super Princess Peach. Just one of those games I forgot about.

Edited on by SuperLuigi111

SuperLuigi111

Krull

My DS Lite has arrived. Sure, it's a bit gunky, but it cost peanuts. And I found a copy of Dragon Quest IX in a secondhand shop already, so I'm good to go!

If anyone has any tips on cleaning out the gunk round the edges of a DS Lite, I'd happily hear it!

Tyranexx

Is Golden Sun: Dark Dawn worth playing? I finished the first game on the Wii U VC a few months ago and hope to start The Lost Age as soon as I'm done with Color Splash on my Wii U. After that, I thought of maybe grabbing Dark Dawn physically. I've been finding mixed things about it....

Edited on by Tyranexx

Anti-Matter

Tyranexx wrote:

Is Golden Sun: Dark Dawn worth playing? I finished the first game on the Wii U VC a few months ago and hope to start The Lost Age as soon as I'm done with Color Splash on my Wii U. After that, I thought of maybe grabbing Dark Dawn physically. I've been finding mixed things about it....

For RPG games on NDS, Golden Sun Dark Dawn was pretty good.
It has a lot of Summons, like i was thinking it looked like "FF VII" on NDS.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic