Forums

Topic: Super Mario!

Posts 601 to 620 of 863

warioswoods

Hmmm, so to beat a dead tanooki: anyone have a preference for either of the 3D modes?

The problem I have with display options like this one is that I'll always feel I'm missing something on the other side, since it's a trade-off. In my few minutes with the game, I was toggling several times per level.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

Retro_on_theGo

I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes at the beginning of the level I keep switching between the 2 modes trying to choose. I usually go with the depth. Although for me it causes more ghosting and some parts of levels do look better with the pop-out mode.
I can't really say for sure but...I guess I like the depth mode more.

Edited on by Retro_on_theGo

TeeJay

warioswoods wrote:

Hmmm, so to beat a dead tanooki: anyone have a preference for either of the 3D modes?

The problem I have with display options like this one is that I'll always feel I'm missing something on the other side, since it's a trade-off. In my few minutes with the game, I was toggling several times per level.

I always just use the pop-out 3D. Depth 3D just doesn't compare IMO, because so many other 3DS games use it.

EDIT: I just switched over to depth 3D and used that for a while. now I'm torn between which to use because depth 3D is also amazing. Thanks a lot. XD

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

warioswoods

Ha, good then, I'm not the only one who will be forever doomed to toggle based on the situation.

Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

grumblegrumble

TokyoRed wrote:

I just made it to the Haunted Mansion but then I decided to stop as I love the Boo Mansions in Super Mario games! I don't want to blast through the whole game like zoom but it's so much fun and it's hard to put it down once you begin playing.

Ooh, the haunted mansion is a good one! Are you talking about the one with the 3 doors you enter (one is a keyboard, etc)? OMG That level is crazy awesome I love, too, how much LOVE went into this game. You can tell by every single detail of every single level. My favorite levels are usually the ones underground, and the water levels, because you can tell so much love went into recreating those scenes to seem so life like. Amazing!!! is the only word that comes to mind!! I gather the levels are kind of short because of the graphics involved, it needed to fit on that one 3DS cartridge and also they wanted to rush the thing out, more than likely... because our system needed a Mario title. OMG, this was so worth the wait!

If THIS game doesn't 'salvage' or 'save' the 3DS, nothing will!! We also have Mario Kart 7 to look forward to! Can't wait for that one, either!

Edited on by grumblegrumble

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 (User name: Grumble) If u add me let me know so I can add you back ;) Current Favorites: NSMB 2, CrossWords Plus, Art Academy: Lessons For Everyone, Donkey Kong, Mario Golf, Balloon Pop Remix, Precipice, Digidrive, Art of Balance: Touch, Speed X3D, R...

Odnetnin

@warioswoods Was that just a play on "beat a dead horse" or an intentional PETA reference also? Cause if the latter, brilliant. I thought pop-out looked cooler in 1-1 so I've mostly been using that but depending on the lighting in the place I play the game depth seems to work better and eliminate ghosting/blurriness. They're not really different enough for me to care that much, but if I'm feeling a little OCD I'll try to figure out which mode looks best on a level-by-level basis.

@Kid_A I usually have the same opinion on everything as you (Cave Story, Uncharted, The Office, Coldplay, etc.), and I'm hoping I end up agreeing with your assertion once I 100% the game (only on World 5 right now--that ghost house was awesome btw), but yeah I can definitely see it breaking my vague and undefined top 25 before the credits roll, and after that who knows? This is definitely a game full of surprises.

@Adam Yeah that's already been a problem for me already early in the game. There are Super Leaves everywhere though (worst case scenario you can die 5 times to get a free one), and Fire Flowers are in all the underground levels I think.

And here's my link one more time so you guys don't have to wait for a response regarding star medal locations: Note that this only goes up to World 8 and spoilers abound wi...

Question: Can you have more than 99 lives? I have 93 now due to using the invincible Tanooki Suit on Girl Boom Boom.

More impressions this weekend most likely, but I have to say the first underwater level and the ghost house too I guess made me realize how much of a joke NSMB DS is compared to this.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

warioswoods

@Oddy

Who, me? I would never insult such a fine medium for hummus.
Untitled

Adam

Oddy, I don't want to get super leaves. In NSMBW if you died enough to make the You Suck block appear, it prevented the stars on your save file from sparkling, which is very important to me. Not sure if this game is the same, but I'm playing it safe.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

WaluigiBag

I bought Super Mario 3D Land yesterday morning. I LOVE it! It's so much fun! I am going to start World 8 the next time that I play. ^__^

WaluigiBag

Nintendo Network ID: WaluigiBag

TeeJay

Oddy wrote:

Question: Can you have more than 99 lives? I have 93 now due to using the invincible Tanooki Suit on Girl Boom Boom.

I have 384 lives.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Retro_on_theGo

TeeJay wrote:

Oddy wrote:

I have 384 lives.

I seriously lol'd. Since you've gone that far can you tell me one thing? Just one thing. Don't describe the levels, don't tell me the enemies. Just tell me:
Does the game get any harder at all near the end?

zezhyrule

You'd better watch out retro, teejay is known for running people off because he doesn't care about other people's wishes to not be spoiled.

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

TeeJay

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

I seriously lol'd. Since you've gone that far can you tell me one thing? Just one thing. Don't describe the levels, don't tell me the enemies. Just tell me:

Yes. And don't listen to LordZezMad.

Edited on by TeeJay

retired_account

lol I have 50 lives after beating the game. I did it in 4:45 — did anyone beat that?

By the way, did the end remind anyone else of Ocarina of Time's ending? Haha

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

LordTendoboy

TeeJay wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Yes. And don't listen to LordZezMad.

LordJumpMad and Zez are the same person?

Anyways, on topic. I'm in the middle of World 4 and this is by far my absolute favorite 3D Mario game. Super Mario 3D Land is what Super Mario 64 should have been. It has a lot in common with the Mario Galaxy games (obviously, since it was designed by the same team) with a bit of Super Mario Bros. 3 thrown in for nostalgia.

How much harder does the game get? I saw a playthrough of the very last level of the game and it looked much easier than Mario Galaxy 2's Grandmaster Galaxy Daredevil Comet.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

TeeJay

tendoboy1984 wrote:

LordJumpMad and Zez are the same person?

No. I just call zez that when he tries to troll like Jump.

noname001

This is going to seem like a random point, but I like how little paperwork the game came with. The instructions is a miniature fold out, and all the real info is in the manual on the cartridge. The way it should be in this day and age.

noname001

LordTendoboy

wobee wrote:

This is going to seem like a random point, but I like how little paperwork the game came with. The instructions is a miniature fold out, and all the real info is in the manual on the cartridge. The way it should be in this day and age.

I like how Nintendo includes digital instruction manuals with their new games. I wish Wii games had instruction manuals on the disc. And I hate how the instruction manuals aren't downloaded with WiiWare games (WiiWare games take you back to the Wii Shop to view the manual).

Another thing, they made it WAY too easy to touch the top of the flagpole in this game. In Super Mario Bros. 1 (and NSMB DS), reaching the top of the flagpole was meant to be a challenge, not a way to earn easy 1-ups.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

grumblebuzzz

I feel like they made it much harder to reach the top of the flagpole if you're not Tanooki Mario. I hit it every time with no issue in SMB and NSMB/W but in this game I usually have to try to pull off a perfect rolling long jump at just the right angle to make it happen.

Edited on by grumblebuzzz

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.