Forums

Topic: SNES VC for older 3ds

Posts 121 to 140 of 211

GameOtaku

@skywake
Just because the advance games on 3ds were simulated and didn't have save points really didn't amount to a big deal to me as long as you can play the games that's all I care about especially since they have there own save system.

If it uses similar processes what's the difference (ex Castlevania 4 to portrait of ruin) both use 2d graphics so shouldn't what the ds used also work in place of the SNES chip it originally used?

GameOtaku

GameOtaku

@skywake
N64 emu on 3ds could be possible but not very likely considering the controller on the 64 had more buttons than the 3ds.

I looked back at conversations regarding SNES VC right after the NES VC started up on 3ds, everyone was sure it was coming before long. And then out of the clear blue with the SP of the 3ds the new came out then everyone started coming out of the woodwork explaining why a piece of tech from 2011 could not play 25 year old games.

GameOtaku

KingMike

GameOtaku wrote:

@DarthNocturnal
The advance line could play Gameboy and GBC, the ds could only play the advance line since they used a similar technique as the region lockout of the SNES.

LOL, SNES (and N64) used region-lockout chips only between NTSC and PAL consoles (and plastic to separate the US and Japan) while the DSi (yes, the DS-i- only) and 3DS have been the ONLY Nintendo portables to have region-lock.

But maybe we should ask Nintendo why they can't add WonderSwan, NeoGeo Pocket and Mega Duck to 3DS VC. Those are all 2D consoles.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

skywake

@GameOtaku
I explained everything in my post, you can find it on this page:
https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/3dsvc/snes_vc_for_older_3d...

And you're wrong about the N64 because I specifically said the New 3DS. The New 3DS has L/R, ZL/ZR, A/B/X/Y, Start/Select and a C-Stick. Taking into account the fact that all VC games allow controller customisation and the shape of the N64 controller? The New 3DS has all the buttons for N64 games. Case and point all the ports of N64 games on the 3DS.

By your logic the N64 is 20 years older than the New 3DS. So why doesn't it have N64 games on the VC? If you think this argument I'm making here is absurd then you're right. 100%. Because it's the same argument you're making in regards to SNES games on the original 3DS. So if you can't read my post and accept that you're wrong? At least take up this new whine because at least then it'll be somewhat of a change in scenery.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

GameOtaku

@skywake
Emulating 16 bit games is easier than 64 bit. It requires way less. In fact the SNES is the only beast that seems to confound emulators. Everything else has been done up and down and all over so why is the SNES such a special piece of hardware?!

GameOtaku

skywake

@GameOtaku
But by your logic the New 3DS has 9x more Hz, 4 CPUs rather than 1, 32x as much RAM and is 20 years newer. By your logic it shouldn't matter how different the architecture is. If they can put these games out as remakes then, by your logic, emulation should be easy. And again, if you think the argument I'm making here is stupid? Well yes. Yes it is.

Edited on by skywake

CosmicLight

@GoneFishin @skywake @Meowpheel @DarthNocturnal Is @GameOtaku messing with us? He's messing with us isn't he. Im on to you! The O3DS is the perfect emulator system. It can even play home console Wii U games. Look the Vita a portable system plays ps4 games, figure that one out GameOtaku, its a mystery you have to solve. Don't let anyone tell you that 3DS can't emulate Wii U games, with all graphics intact on its less powerful hardware, you have to believe!

Edited on by CosmicLight

CosmicLight

GameOtaku

@skywake
The 3ds is 74x more powerful than the SNES. 74 is greater than 9. Any way I have no love for the 64. I own one but I much preferred the ps1.

GameOtaku

GameOtaku

@CosmicLight
The vita can through crossbuy and cross play which is something Nintendo fails to do. I do honestly believe the 3ds can emu SNES to a retail standard.

GameOtaku

skywake

GameOtaku wrote:

The 3ds is 74x more powerful than the SNES. 74 is greater than 9.

It actually isn't because you can't simply multiply Hz to get a difference in power. If this was the right way to measure power then the 360 would be 80% more powerful than the XBOne. It's not, it's obviously the other way around and more like 5x. That sort of nonsense is why I'm even bothering conversing with you. I think it's useful to educate people as to why this is wrong even if you choose to think that you know everything.

In any case, based on your logic? You've said before that because the 3DS can run games that look better than the SNES it should therefore be able to run SNES games. So in your head I don't see how the N64 should be any different. What difference is a 10x or 100x gap in horsepower? According to you if the console is more capable it should be able to emulate. The complexity of the architecture is a non issue.

If the XBOne can emulate 360 games while only being ~5x more powerful? According to you the New 3DS should have no trouble with N64 games. Your personal opinion shouldn't matter. These are cold hard numbers. If what you were saying was true then the New 3DS should be able to emulate N64 games with a single core without breaking a sweat. But it can't because it's not that simple.

Edited on by skywake

Atariboy

GameOtaku wrote:

If it uses similar processes what's the difference (ex Castlevania 4 to portrait of ruin) both use 2d graphics so shouldn't what the ds used also work in place of the SNES chip it originally used?

No, it wouldn't understand the code. That's why you need an on the fly translator that simulates in software with a program for the modern system, all the functionality of the original hardware. That program, known as an emulator, is what runs the original unchanged code that the modern hardware otherwise would not be able to run.

Otherwise you're left to either recreate the game from scratch, or port it which often is an impossibility thanks to poor archival techniques and the constantly shifting winds of the corporate world that lead to annotated source code being long lost. And both are expensive processes that must be done on an individual basis for each game, versus coding a single complex emulator that once finished, should run any game thrown at it for the platform being emulated if it was done well.

Why do you think emulation exists if it's not even necessary? Use your head here for a second. You so very clearly did not read those links that were posted a few pages ago, or you'd of had all this explained to you far better and clearer than I ever could.

But then this foolishness would have to stop, and you're loving it and don't want that.

Edited on by Atariboy

Atariboy

Eel

skywake wrote:

So in your head I don't see how the N64 should be any different.

Well, he did say that the difference between the snes and the n64 is that he doesn't care about the N64.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

skywake

Tsurii wrote:

Unless you get some strange satisfaction out of repeating the same general info ad nauseam. Just keep going if that's the case

Untitled

Meowpheel wrote:

skywake wrote:

So in your head I don't see how the N64 should be any different.

Well, he did say that the difference between the snes and the n64 is that he doesn't care about the N64.

I know, it's almost beautiful how easy that was

Edited on by skywake

GameOtaku

@GoneFishin
I still believe something is being left out. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm really wondering about what standard y'all consider when you claim something is accurate.

This is not exactly a topic that's new, the conversations about this went on for quite a while when the SNES VC was announced. The original post went this sites comment section went on for months! And I'd be willing to bet that I wasn't the only one who felt it was a jerk move.

It should be simpler than most of you are letting on. If a modern game is using a similar style to older games then the same techniques should translate to the older games too! Shovel Knight is at its base a 16 bit inspired game so it makes sense that Link to the past could be generated using the same resources. Just like if you built a SNES today you couldn't use the exact same child as the original (take the supaboy for example)

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

Octane

@GameOtaku The style of a game has nothing to do with running a game. But I believe that people already said that a million times in this thread. IF SNES games were built from the ground up for the 3DS, of course it could run those games, but that's not what we're talking about...

Octane

GameOtaku

@Octane
It's just ridiculous to think that the 3ds can play NES, Gameboy/GBC, Gamegear, tg16 and Sega Genesis VC titles as well as enhanced ports like majoras mask and ocarina but as soon as SNES emu is mentioned, nope it can't do that!

If they have to customize the VC emu for every game to run optimumly then they should be able to do the same for SNES VC for the older models. Or give the VC more power by shutting down processes that aren't being used similarly to what happens when it plays smash or 4 ultimate. Either way if they had just continued other VC outlets other than SNES during that time frame it wouldn't have had me going on like this. Just throw out some other games in the interim for gods sake! It's not like people that own a new 3ds would pass over NES and Gameboy games!

GameOtaku

GameOtaku

@DarthNocturnal
Having some games beats not having any. Probably explains why new 3ds never got Mario rpg.

GameOtaku

KingMike

Yes, SA-1 probably adds a layer of complexity to Nintendo's emulator they didn't want to.
But Square-Enix seems to have lowered interest in VC.
After giving Japanese O3DS owners much of their Famicom catalog (as well as early arcade-port Taito FC games), on N3DS they only gave Japan Romancing SaGa 1 and Live-A-Live.
Still not even any of the four GB Square games, nor any for the west.

KingMike

Eel

Talking about SE, they did a 3Dish remake port thing of FF1 and they never even showed any interest in the possibility of releasing it outside of Japan.

And that hurts.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.