Forums

Topic: Metroid: Samus Returns

Posts 381 to 400 of 716

meleebrawler

@Tyranexx There are a lot of things that go wrong with Other M's story... plot threads that don't get properly resolved, long and droning delivery through overly long cutscenes, and awkward attempts to mix it with gameplay via the authorization system... but other things that people dislike really make sense when you think of Samus and the people around her as human beings instead of one-dimensional video game characters.

• Adam is a jerk: Annoying authorization aside, Adam was already established as being a strict character in Fusion, and as you find out mid-way through the story, has a good reason to be sour towards Samus. And this isn't a bounty Samus has accepted, which normally leaves the specifics up to her, she happened to butt in, from Adam's perspective, on a Federation investigation. Something like this was used in Fusion as well: the Federation has Samus on a tighter leash than usual, basically threatening to take her new ship away if she doesn't comply.
  • The Ridley freak-out: Ridley had just been overkilled in a grander fashion than he ever had before, blowing up not just him but the entire planet he was on. And in a way, he never really did come back from that; getting cloned instead. Samus didn't know that at the time, of course, and thus had absolutely no idea how he could possibly be back, even though we players take his returns for granted by this point. She may have gotten a hint, however, after defeating him, he flees. Ridley NEVER fled a battle with Samus unless he had a more pressing objective, as seen in Super.

Basically, people mostly bash the story because it wasn't really what they wanted out of a Metroid game, not necessarily due to it's actual quality.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Tyranexx

@meleebrawler: I see. I still might pick up the game when my backlog has thinned a bit more, but I'm in no hurry to get it tbh. Some people seem to like the gameplay outside of the story, at least.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Samus7Killer

When reviews going up?
Stupid embargos!
My 3DS Is Ready!

Samus7Killer

Spoony_Tech

What does it matter? You're still going to get the game. It will probably land right around 8.5 is my guess.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

@Samus7Killer 8.8 so far on Metacritic. 😜

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Peek-a-boo

After Splatoon 2, I should have put my life savings on Nintendo Life giving Metroid: Samus Returns a 10/10.

Good to see the game receiving a very positive reception! The USgamer review is especially worth a read:

I was delighted by Metroid: Samus Returns.

It hits pretty much every note you hope to see in a Metroid game, and MercurySteam's console background is evident in their flair for the dramatic — whether in their introductory cutscenes or their boss battles. Their dramatic reinvention reinvigorates the source material and strengthens the story's bridge to Super Metroid.

In short: They nailed it.

Unfortunately, I won’t be playing this until Christmas Day however, I will be sure to read up some first play impressions in this thread in the coming weeks! Perhaps Nintendo would be wise to start selectively choosing some of their old IPs for certain developers who are not part of their first or second party studios.

Let’s hope this sells healthily enough to ensure a healthy future for the Metroid franchise.

Peek-a-boo

Banjo-

I am more a Metroid Prime fan, because my first Metroid game was Prime. In spite of that, I can't wait to play this game!

Banjo-

Spoony_Tech

@BlueOcean So am I but I still remember that November day years ago playing both Prime one and a 2d Metroid game on the same day of release. If only we can get a brand new 2d Metroid released along side Prime 4!

MERG said:

Banjo-

@Spoony_Tech I can't forget my first time playing Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 both on launch week on my 29" CRT TV with Dolby Surround. I had a rug on the floor and sometimes sat on it to get a little closer.

Banjo-

Haruki_NLI

Eurogamer seems to be the only place not liking it, which is odd. Basically said it's underwhelming and has problems.

Too much combat. Its a remake of Metroid 2, which was apparently never good. Exploration is a chore. Samus doesn't look right.

So yeah. 1 bad in a sea of positives. To be expected.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Samus7Killer

Eurogamer gamer is trash. Fake review!

Samus7Killer

Namco

@BLP_Software
At the beginning of the game Samus does look somewhat basic with the Power Suit instead of the Varia / Gravity Suit. But besides that there's nothing out of the ordinary about her appearance.

Too much combat? Defeating small enemies is basically what you do all the time in a 2D Metroid. Sounds like they just aren't used to a difficult game anymore... I doubt they even finished it! Get gut.

It may sound like I'm hating on any negative metroid comeback commentary... but yeah guess I am

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> â–² Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Eel

Well, they did say "the original Metroid II was bad" as one of the negatives for this game.

We can dismiss their opinion and keep fanboying over this game.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Samus7Killer

The original Metroid II was an improvement on the original.
Some people just don't like older harder games and that's what Samus Returns is modeled after.
Reviewers are spoiled beasts. They dont even pay for the game for one. Prolly not a fan of likely said game and only did the fake review for views.

Edited on by Samus7Killer

Samus7Killer

Haruki_NLI

@Meowpheel @Samus7Killer Metroid 2 in some ways added features much needed, like albeit limited aiming, and its structure was a consequence of the system. But that limitation also created the Varia Suit design as we know it now.

Though it is weird to hear their main criticism is that "Metroid 2 is bad, therefore this is bad"

Haruki_NLI

@Meowpheel Well, your sarcasm aside, I do think that basing a product and reviewing it not on what you paid for, but what is remaking, is a bit disingenuous. People aren't paying for the GameBoy original and hearing about its faults, they are putting money down for the remake.

The review also doesn't elaborate on itself or explain things very well.

Like it says exploration is a chore...and later says exploration is free form.

It says Metroid 1 was Yoshio Sakamoto's original vision (Even though its Gunpei Yokoi), and Metroid 2 threw away Metroid's structured experience for a more formless adventure.

Despite...Metroid 2 being more linear and tightly structured of a game...

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Samus7Killer

Sounds like an idiot and only did the fake review for views. They obv have no clue what they are talking about.

Samus7Killer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic