Forums

Topic: How long until the 3ds dies?

Posts 141 to 160 of 396

skywake

@Windy
Well ok but I was only talking about a specific claim you keep repeating. You've said a few times in this thread that the 3DS isn't dead because it was the platform that sold the most software in 2017. Not only is that not true but it hasn't been true for the 3DS at any point.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

canucksfan989

It's probably 50/50 but i'm a hypocrite and annoyed at Nintendo. I'm getting a 2ds xl basically to play the Snes games, GBC and Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon. I really wish it was as easy to just port these games over to the Switch the system i have already instead of feeling forced to get a 2ds xl to play them oh well.

canucksfan989

Grumblevolcano

@canucksfan989 If that's all you're getting it for shouldn't you wait until Nintendo's revealed the paid online service? Of course Ultra Sun/Moon will stay exclusive to 3DS but retro games sounds like something Nintendo will talk about around the same time as the proper reveal of the paid online service.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

canucksfan989

@Grumblevolcano Got impatient waiting to be honest and got a good deal on eBay 126 cad or 101 USD for a 2ds xl refurbished no sd card but has a charger. I probably should of still waited but yeah impatient and I should of just kept my 3ds xl with more games I foolishly sold for 150

canucksfan989

GuruOfGreatness

I think it's got all of 2018 on the market, and even 2019, but I do think that at some point in late 2019, that they will announce that the 3DS range/family will be discontinued from a certain date in 2020.

I hope I'm wrong though TBH as I want it to have an even longer lifespan.

Who knows though, they seem settled on the 2DS and 2DSXL leading the charge in most places, with an incredible catalogue of games built up that still continue to sell.

As long as they're still making money from the console sales and the games already on the market, just let them sell, even if they choose to now rarely develop any new games for it.

GuruOfGreatness

Windy

@skywake sorry

@GuruOfGreatness Man I hope your right. If you look at it. It certainly could be.

Edited on by Windy

Still playing 3DS but will have Switch soon for multiplayer with friends. I miss you guys! Adam, Joni, Gavin and the rest of the Blue Rogues from the Phantasy Star Zero Days.

3DS Friend Code: 0877-0511-8391 | Nintendo Network ID: Windy3DS

The_Cysko_Kid

I think it would be in Nintendo's best interest to keep supporting the 3DS family for some time considering their strength in family friendly gaming. For instance I have 3 2DSs and a new 3DS XL. One 2DS for each of my kids and the 3DS for myself to play both with them and on my own. There's a zero percent chance I would buy 4 switches at the current price point and they must know that. This situation is hardly unique among families with more than one kid either.

I'd be happy enough if they just posted existing games to the 3DS family from here on out rather than creating brand new content. With the new 3DS' jump in horsepower it opens a lot of possibilities to make new money off of older games.

The_Cysko_Kid

MrVariant

@The_Cysko_Kid unfortunately they took out 3d in the twilight of the 3ds, like Mario and Luigi superstar saga remake. I am glad I didn't bother with the new 3ds, plus not too many games for it outside SNES emulation in VC, which classic SNES mini is probably better in price. Glad they celebrated Mar10 day this year with sales.

MrVariant

oninowon

I read somewhere that Nintendo would continue supporting the 3DS until end of 2018. There is supposedly a new portable in the works as evidenced by a new patent they submitted.

oninowon

ilovetotourz

@oninowon the Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story remake on 3DS is coming out in 2019, so it will extend to 2019.

uhhhhhhhh

Heavyarms55

@oninowon Where did you read that? I hope Nintendo isn't going to release a seperate portable from the Switch. That would severely hurt the Switch. I could see them releasing a portable only, smaller, cheaper version of the Switch however, as a replacement entry level product...

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

oninowon

Heavyarms55 wrote:

@oninowon Where did you read that? I hope Nintendo isn't going to release a seperate portable from the Switch. That would severely hurt the Switch. I could see them releasing a portable only, smaller, cheaper version of the Switch however, as a replacement entry level product...

Somewhere on the internet like over a year ago. I know some staple 3DS games would not continue past 2018 such as the Fire Emblem series. I thought the Mario and Luigi series would also end on the 3DS with the Superstar remake but am glad that there will be another one (although another remake) past 2018.

I don't think a new portable gaming device from Nintendo would hurt the Switch because the Switch is not a dedicated portable gaming device. With the 3DS, Nintendo had followed Sony in creating a multi-entertainment system meaning it had a camera, a mp3 play ability, internet browser, augmented reality, and a whole slew of social enabling aps. While it is still too early to see how far Nintendo takes the Switch, I doubt Nintendo will take the Switch in that direction.

oninowon

Solid_Stannis

As far as I'm concerned it's been emitting a continuous death rattle since Spirit of Justice. Within a year I reckon someone's gonna Old Yeller this old hound dog.

I'm the One True King. Always were. Always will be.

3DS Friend Code: 1138-0170-1337 | Nintendo Network ID: AK-1138

BongoBongo123

I don't hope it dies, it's my favourite system of all time; 3 amazing zelda titles, Pokemon old and new, virtual console, smash bros, loads of great indie titles etc.

I'm hoping the rumoured new Zelda game comes out...or better yet a Zelda that uses the ocarina of time 3D engine.

BongoBongo123

FireMario887

The 3DS has had a great run. It really has. Great library. A beloved handheld. I keep coming back to it to play Metroid: Samus Returns and others. Still, I think it has reached the end of its period. I think it be a proper marketing choice (not that I possess intricate knowledge of economics) to end the 3DS and put a focus on the Switch.

FireMario887

iLikeUrAttitude

@FireMario887 I agree completely I will always cherish my 3ds and play it from time to time but it is time to focus on the Switch for Pokemon and other upcoming Ips.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

kkslider5552000

I'm not too surprised, since Nintendo handhelds tend to have long term support (remember that Pokemon B/W 2 came out like a year after the 3DS). But it's more annoying when you consider how much they don't do this for their consoles after the SNES.

N64: No games after GCN
GCN: No games after Wii, ends with Zelda
Wii: 1 game after Wii U, still had to be published in America by someone else
Wii U: No games after Switch, ends with Zelda
3DS: 2019 and beyond!!!!

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

The_Cysko_Kid

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I'm not too surprised, since Nintendo handhelds tend to have long term support (remember that Pokemon B/W 2 came out like a year after the 3DS). But it's more annoying when you consider how much they don't do this for their consoles after the SNES.

N64: No games after GCN
GCN: No games after Wii, ends with Zelda
Wii: 1 game after Wii U, still had to be published in America by someone else
Wii U: No games after Switch, ends with Zelda
3DS: 2019 and beyond!!!!

That is because nintendo handheld sales absolutely destroy their console sales.

Edited on by The_Cysko_Kid

The_Cysko_Kid

Ninfan

There's absolutely no games on the 3DS .or did I miss them

Ninfan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic