Forums

Topic: Metroid Prime Federation Force (and Blast Ball)

Posts 661 to 680 of 923

Indy83

shaneoh wrote:

You really feel victimised by this Metroid game, don't you?

It's not about the game.

The games nothing more than a poorly done co-op arena shooter, which I rather enjoy, well, when its good, I dont enjoy poorly done ones. In fact, back when this game likely started production, we gladly speculated about how cool something like this would be, well, you know, if it wasn't done like microwaved plain oatmeal.

No, it's not the game, but you already know that, your generation just prefers pretending to be obtuse over listening to whats being actually said when whats actually being said makes you uncomfortable.

Edited on by Indy83

Indy83

shaneoh

Indy83 wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

You really feel victimised by this Metroid game, don't you?

It's not about the game.

The games nothing more than a poorly done co-op arena shooter, which I rather enjoy. In fact, back when this game likely started production, we gladly speculated about how cool something like this would be, well, you know, if it wasn't done like microwaved plain oatmeal.

No, it's not the game, but you already know that, your generation just prefers pretending to be obtuse over listening to whats being actually said when whats actually being said makes you uncomfortable.

Lol if it isn't the game then what are you ranting about? Reggie and Nintendo aren't out to get me, they don't think I'm a moron. To them I exist as an email and mailing address, but if I were to drop off the face of the earth tomorrow, they wouldn't notice, nor care (nor should they). Nothing you've said makes me uncomfortable, just amused (what generation do you think I am, and what relevance is it?).

Still looking forward to FF, it's 80% what I want out of a spin off Metroid title, and the other 20% isn't achievable on the 3DS so it doesn't bother me.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

DefHalan

@Indy83: Have you played the game? It looks pretty good and what I played of Blast Ball was really fun

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Indy83

DefHalan wrote:

@Indy83: Have you played the game? It looks pretty good and what I played of Blast Ball was really fun

Blast ball actually is pretty fun. I was shooting straight when I said blastball was a funky twist on fps like splatoon, splatoon is a blast.

Blast ball is nowhere near as diverse, so repitition fatigue will set in extremely quickly, but its definately fun.

The missions themselves are incredibly lack luster in every regaurd. Even considering the fact demos are always set to brain dead difficulty (They want people to have no problems beating it, getting the full experience, and moving on so the next people in line can go) there is just nothing to do this. Its not bad per se, but its not good, it's certainly not a great co op arena shooter. Ive played much much better, and its not the fault of the 3ds hardware or anything like that, its just bland. It's... It's like how Final Fantasy explorers compares to actual monster hunter. Sure you can have fun with it, pareticualrly if you dont know how much better it can be done, but with so many options out there, with so many just clearly superior... I just don't see any reason to play this one.

But you cats need to pay attention to what is being said, and what is being done....

Its not the game people should be upset about.

This is not a spin off. This is an attempt, at the future of mainline metroid.

"We believe that in order to propel the franchises forward, we have to be the ones to constantly challenge the paradigms, challenge the conventional wisdom, challenge what we thought was the essence of the particular franchise, and a particular form of gameplay."

And its a response to Nintendo being completely baffled as to why people didnt like other M. They think its because people dont like metroid style game design, despite other m literally being an anti metroid in design

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2010/11/reggie_wonders_where...

As of right now, this is what nintendo planned to do with the franchise, not a one off spin off. Literally the only thing throwing a wrench in the works was the fact people didnt respond to this like they did splatoon, they went ballistic.

Leaving Nintendo, once again, completely lost in the sauce about metroid.

Edited on by Indy83

Indy83

DefHalan

@Indy83: You might be reading a bit much into everything. Wouldn't it be better to support the series you love and see where it goes rather than complaining when it isn't the same as before? Let the series explore new routes and learn from its mistakes rather than complaining and not getting a new game for 10 years.

shaneoh

Indy83 wrote:

But you cats need to pay attention to what is being said, and what is being done....

Hearing and seeing things that aren't there apparently.

Indy83 wrote:

"We believe that in order to propel the franchises forward, we have to be the ones to constantly challenge the paradigms, challenge the conventional wisdom, challenge what we thought was the essence of the particular franchise, and a particular form of gameplay."

Wow, they don't want their games to stagnate, they want to try new things and see if it works. Oh my, how criminal. I mean it's not as if they ever deviated from the original Super Mario Bros. formula. Can you imagine if they made a 3D Mario game where you don't end the level by touching the flagpole? How awful would that be? Seriously, that would be such a bad choice, one which they could never return from. Almost as bad as a 3D Zelda...

Indy83 wrote:

And its a response to Nintendo being completely baffled as to why people didnt like other M. They think its because people dont like metroid style game design, despite other m literally being an anti metroid in design

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2010/11/reggie_wonders_where...

The code and PR was favourable, so obviously problem was gameplay. Definitely couldn't have been the story, the asthetics, the controls or anything else.

This is such an overreaction.

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Indy83

DefHalan wrote:

@Indy83: You might be reading a bit much into everything. Wouldn't it be better to support the series you love and see where it goes rather than complaining when it isn't the same as before? Let the series explore new routes and learn from its mistakes rather than complaining and not getting a new game for 10 years.

Metroids game design is the rarest in the industry. There is literally NOTHING other than metroid, for this school of design from publishers with the capability to make a game of the scope and scale, of something metroid prime. The assumption that that level of change is necessary is erroneous, because you can combine 20 years of metroid, and still only have a fraction of the games that have been played compared to series that just started five years ago. Metroid is rare, not just metroid itself, but its entire design philosophy, far too rare to have grown stale, thats not the problem.

Also, there is nowhere else to go. All you have are indie games, the vast majority of which can't figure out the difference between a hard lock and a soft lock, and the very best of which, axiom verge, cant hold a candle to super metroid.

If this game succeeds (Which it wont) you can say goodbye to ever seeing anything like super metroid or metroid prime again. This is coming from someone who has seen a lot of things dissapear, that didn't need to. This has happened many times before.

The problem, is that they are NOT learning from their mistakes. Thats the whole reason federation forces exists.

They want to change up the game design, because of the reaction other M got, which they literally believed, was the pinnacle of metroid game design. In actuality, other M and this is completely ignoring the story, was a horribly designed metroid game, to the point that it was literally the anti thesis to metroid.

If you want to support a franchise you love, you should stop being an enabler to its destruction, and actually support it.

Nintendo, currently, thinks people don't like metroid style game design, because other m was a failure. They think people dont like metroid because its too hard, they get lost, they dont see everything the game has too offer because a lot of it is optional. They think people dont like these things. However, every single game that has had these things has been a successful metroid.

What people should be doing, is pointing Nintendo to dark souls. Not because we want demons/dark souls combat in metroid, no, but because dark souls made a point, that its okay for things to be a challenge. And dark souls is a financial success.

Its okay, for metroid to be metroid.
Its okay to get lost, the fun is in finding the way. Its ok to not see every single thing the game has, its fun when you replay it and see something new. Its okay to get stuck, the feeling you get when you figure it out.

People WANT these things, Nintendo doesnt know this. They've literally said this, I linked to it, they don't believe people want this. They don't believe metroid design can be a success, because its a little bit challenging. Dark souls shows this is not true.

I am supporting the series I love. By not being a part of its destruction. Metroid is the last great Stalwart of this kind of design. There sure as hell isn't any publisher today who will risk making a full scale 3d metroidvania.

They are all gone. Name one full scale metroidvania, and I mean full scale A-la metroid prime, that is coming out. That came out in the last year? Last five years?

They're gone kid.

I love metroid, because its metroid.

Not because of the space pirates, or the galactic federation, or the characters, or the story. Damn the story. Nobody cared about the story, the only reason anybody began to care about the story, was because they were blown away by an amazing game experience, and they wanted to know every little thing about it. People didn't like metroid because of its themes, or its story, metroid wasnt a great game because it had space pirates and galactic federations, people began to care about those things because metroid was a great game.

People didnt like metroid because samus was a cool character. People liked Samus because metroid was an amazing game.

In Nintendo's haste to please their investors by "Capitalizing on the power of their franchises" They have completely forgotten why those franchises ever have any power to begin with.

Why would I want to see where a shallow forgettable unremarkable co-op arena shooter goes? I know where that goes, I have seen plenty of shallow unremarkable co-op arena shooters, the market is saturated with them. The only place that goes is irrelevance.

I already know of far better places to go.

And speak of the perfect patsy. Heres the number one problem right now, doing exactly what I said caused the problem.

[quote=shaneoh]

shaneoh wrote:

Hearing and seeing things that aren't there apparently.

Indy83 wrote:

Wow, they don't want their games to stagnate, they want to try new things and see if it works. Oh my, how criminal. I mean it's not as if they ever deviated from the original Super Mario Bros. formula. Can you imagine if they made a 3D Mario game where you don't end the level by touching the flagpole? How awful would that be? Seriously, that would be such a bad choice, one which they could never return from. Almost as bad as a 3D Zelda...

False equivilance, first and foremost, super mario is far more saturated in release than metroid. So is Zelda.

Also, Im not demanding the primes dissapear, and we have nothing but 2d metroids. More false equivilance. The Primes where a massive departure for a lot of metroid staples, but they mantained the core design philosophy of the series. Despite the huge changes mario made when going to 3d, its design philosophy remained the same, the player went from point a, to point b through a series of obstacles and enemies. Zelda remained an adventure game where the player goes on a grand quest, conquers dungeons, and gathers items to empower the player and make progress in the world. Zelda did not become a racing game to shake things up. Poor show, par for the course.

Indy83 wrote:

The code and PR was favourable, so obviously problem was gameplay. Definitely couldn't have been the story, the asthetics, the controls or anything else.

This is such an overreaction.

The PR was favourable because people still had absolute faith in metroid, and visually, other M appeared to be super metroid in 3d, with top notch presentation and graphics for wii.

And of course, there it is, story story story story. Just love parroting Nintendo's pr dont you? Other M had a pretty hokey story likely compunded with a lousy localization... but that has nothing to do with the game itself.

THe controls where responsive, the game literally handled like super metroid in 3d. The combat was a little spamtastic because of the lack of buttons, but overall everything controlled very well. The wii was no stranger to worst genners who lost the ability to learn how to do new things. Like the simple act of going from holding the controller sideways to pointing at the screen and back was some impossible feet that couldnt be done with a simple flick of fingers. The missile system was fun, and the slow down effect left a lot of room for play, allowing for pretty fun things like jumping in the air, firing a missile, doing a wall jump, firing another missile, landing on a baddies head, doing an overcharge, and firing a final missile one last time before hitting the ground. Dodge was spammy and jankey. Spankey. Whatever. Not the problem.

The aesthetics were classic metroid through and through. People loved them... Until the game came, that folks, is called a halo effect, or in this case, a reverse halo effect, or devils effect. This is when someone dislikes something so much, that it begins affecting thier judgement of other unrelated matters on a subconcious level.

Like other M being a reall y bad metroid game. It really bothered people, so everything they associated with the game got worse, the visuals became lack luster, the controls suddenly became the riddle of the sphinx, they started making things up about the story, like a false scenario where adam has to authorize Samus's varia suit (He never says he authorizes it).

What other M really was, was a really really bad metroid ame, because it broke every single rule metroid had established.

In metroid the player explores, gets lost in, and eventually navigate a vast labyrinth.

In other M, the player is told where to go by an npc, a spot is put on the map, an arrow for the player to follow is put on the screen, and all the doors that would lead to checking out something else between the dot on the map and the path the player takes to get there are locked.

In Metroid, the player discovers and aquires power ups, figures out what they do, and how to use them to find new areas to get to with their newfound powers.

In other M, the player is given their power up, by an npc, who tells them when to use it, what to use it on, and where to go with it. The npc then unlock a new path for the player to get to the dot, where they are told to use their new power up.

In metroid, the adventerous player is often rewarded with optional power ups they can discover, that are powerful and fun to use, but not necessary to beat the game.

In other M every single thing is given to the player at a specified point the player follows a dot on the map to get to. The only thing the player is ever allowed to find is the lamest of things you could ever get in a metroid game. Missile packs, etanks, and similar junk.

Other M was an Anti metroid. That is it's main problem, and compunding problems ike its bad story, can not hold a candle to the fact Other m is an anti metroid in all aspects of fundamental design.

UNFORTUNATELY, Nintendo, has, many times, on record, one of which I have already posted a link to, stated the have no idea why other M was recieved so poorly, the only thing they can think of, is what they saw so much of. Story story story story story story.... Which is why their PR today is constantly saying whenever they want to make sure metroid fans know they should spend their money 'It will have a metroid story'. Completely clueless. No mention of metroid gameplay. Not one.

No mention of advancing metroid gameplay. No mention of new powerups, or the changes to level and world and progression design completely new power ups could make.

Nope, 'It will have a metroid story'. Story doesnt make a metroid game. Story doesnt break a metroid game.

Edited on by Indy83

Indy83

DefHalan

Big Wall of text telling me how Metroid is doomed. Don't need to read that for the millionth time.

If people aren't buying Metroid games then Metroid games won't be made. I waited 10 years since the last Star Fox game (a series I hold with the greats: Doom, Pokemon, Zelda) if you want to find out how that feels, then ignore the games. Ignore Federation Force. However, if you want the series to continue, if you want Metroid to be a more frequent release than Star Fox or F-Zero, then support it. Buy the games but make sure to give your feedback. Complaining about a game that hasn't released because it does look like it plays like others in the series will lead to Metroid being shelved. You aren't fighting for the classic gameplay, you are only fighting against the mew game in a series.

You can read into small phrases for "evidence" of your series being "destroyed" but what will ultimately decide the future of a series is sales numbers. Just because a spin-off sells well does not mean that is all they will make from then on, and I think Nintendo has proven that with the number of spin-offs they do and yet still return to the core of the series.

Indy83

DefHalan wrote:

Big Wall of text telling me how Metroid is doomed. Don't need to read that for the millionth time.

If people aren't buying Metroid games then Metroid games won't be made. I waited 10 years since the last Star Fox game (a series I hold with the greats: Doom, Pokemon, Zelda) if you want to find out how that feels, then ignore the games. Ignore Federation Force. However, if you want the series to continue, if you want Metroid to be a more frequent release than Star Fox or F-Zero, then support it. Buy the games but make sure to give your feedback. Complaining about a game that hasn't released because it does look like it plays like others in the series will lead to Metroid being shelved. You aren't fighting for the classic gameplay, you are only fighting against the mew game in a series.

You can read into small phrases for "evidence" of your series being "destroyed" but what will ultimately decide the future of a series is sales numbers. Just because a spin-off sells well does not mean that is all they will make from then on, and I think Nintendo has proven that with the number of spin-offs they do and yet still return to the core of the series.

Of course you wont read it. And of course you will respond as if you have any semblance of a clue what is in it.

Worst Generation.

Metroid games arent being made.

A poorly done co-op arena shooter is being made, and it just happens to have the metroid name. The names not what makes the game.

Dont you kids do basic literature in school anymore? Shakespeare?

It doesnt matter what name you call a rose, because it is a rose. The name is irrelevant. So you can call a fork a rose all you want. Its still a fork.

If the series I love, no longer does any of the things I love it for, It's not the series I love. Its just a name. Not rocket science.

Yeah, sure thing kid. Say hi to silent hill and castlevania for me. Cause, eventhough those pachinko machines make more money than konamis pooch screwed releases did, they're totally coming back. any second now. Is PT back up yet?

How about now?

Is that new silent hill out?

Any second now.

Metroid is NOT like those other series that get spinoffs. Marios core series is still sucsessful. Zeldas core series, is still successful.

Metroid had a disastrous mainline entry that was the most expensive game nintendo ever produced and was a gigantic flop.... But they legitimately believe it was the greatest entry in the series they ever made.

Federation forces is an attempt to leverage the power of Nintendo's IP's to increase revenue. They are looking for ways to make money with metroid, because it is a big name with a lot of power behind it, but they are not looking to make a metroid game.

The only reason they would be doubting this path, is the reaction Federation forces got. But even still, they attempted to double down, and basically call dissenters morons who were too stupid to see that federation forces was 'Actually a real metroid game'.

And now, they are very quiet again. Even if they DO attempt to make a new mainline metroid game, its highly likely its going to be another other m, but with just a more palettable story. The tell will be whether or not they talk about new power ups, which are the crux of metroid design.

Edited on by Indy83

Indy83

DefHalan

@shaneoh: Basically what it sounds like. Lol

Bolt_Strike

DefHalan wrote:

The problem is that the only feedback we can really give is sales, ever since Club Nintendo went away there's been no real outlet for these kinds of complaints. So that creates a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Either you support Federation Force which encourages them to make more of them, or you ignore it and let Metroid die. There's no real way to tell them we want a Metroid game that focuses on exploration.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

jump

Bolt_Strike wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

The problem is that the only feedback we can really give is sales, ever since Club Nintendo went away there's been no real outlet for these kinds of complaints. So that creates a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Either you support Federation Force which encourages them to make more of them, or you ignore it and let Metroid die. There's no real way to tell them we want a Metroid game that focuses on exploration.

Even then you'd have to buy the game to fill out a survey with Club Ninty and since most of the people that are complaining wouldn't buy it they still wouldn't have an outlet to complain.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Gultigargar

Indy83 wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Of course you wont read it. And of course you will respond as if you have any semblance of a clue what is in it.

Worst Generation.

Metroid games arent being made.

A poorly done co-op arena shooter is being made, and it just happens to have the metroid name. The names not what makes the game.

Dont you kids do basic literature in school anymore? Shakespeare?

It doesnt matter what name you call a rose, because it is a rose. The name is irrelevant. So you can call a fork a rose all you want. Its still a fork.

If the series I love, no longer does any of the things I love it for, It's not the series I love. Its just a name. Not rocket science.

Yeah, sure thing kid. Say hi to silent hill and castlevania for me. Cause, eventhough those pachinko machines make more money than konamis pooch screwed releases did, they're totally coming back. any second now. Is PT back up yet?

How about now?

Is that new silent hill out?

Any second now.

Metroid is NOT like those other series that get spinoffs. Marios core series is still sucsessful. Zeldas core series, is still successful.

Metroid had a disastrous mainline entry that was the most expensive game nintendo ever produced and was a gigantic flop.... But they legitimately believe it was the greatest entry in the series they ever made.

Federation forces is an attempt to leverage the power of Nintendo's IP's to increase revenue. They are looking for ways to make money with metroid, because it is a big name with a lot of power behind it, but they are not looking to make a metroid game.

The only reason they would be doubting this path, is the reaction Federation forces got. But even still, they attempted to double down, and basically call dissenters morons who were too stupid to see that federation forces was 'Actually a real metroid game'.

And now, they are very quiet again. Even if they DO attempt to make a new mainline metroid game, its highly likely its going to be another other m, but with just a more palettable story. The tell will be whether or not they talk about new power ups, which are the crux of metroid design.

To be honest, Mario series is not sucsessful with it games lately, with most 2D games being repetitive or taken down for unknown reasons, or simply a lack of content.

My current N3DSXL FC: 2165-9800-0902

I'm not what to post, but something should pop up here eventually.

DefHalan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Only if you believe Club Nintendo was the only place they listened to. Miiverse, Twitter, Facebook. So many places to have your voice heard. Federation Force is not going to be canceled, but that doesn't mean the whole series should stop. As a Star Fox fan, I encourage people to embrace spin-offs because there are plans already for the next Metroid game but you don't want to have to wait 10 years for them

sr_388

I just noticed on the Nintendo Website the game said to release August 19, 2016 (US at least). I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that's not late Spring. But hey, it's a release date!

sr_388

TuVictus

It was a formal delay. And I think Nintendo seems to use miiverse to gauge public opinion along with regular social media channels. Remember when they would talk about how surprised they were with the artwork on miiverse, or just how many people wanted EB on the eShop? They seem to use miiverse as a sort of preliminary "What do people want". If only a little bit. But yes, they should have more formal avenues for suggestions.

But maybe not. After all, Miyamoto gave Sticker Star the story it had because he said many of the Club Nintendo opinions said they didn't care much for Super Paper Mario's story.

TuVictus

Socar

Yellowkoopa wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

That's exactly the situation with Paper Mario Sticker Star/Color Splash and Splatoon not having voice chat. Shows that Nintendo couldn't be more out of touch with the fan base.

Well what can you expect? Sticker Star sold well...probably more too well than the other Paper games. As much as I would love Nintendo to make a true Paper Mario RPG, I just realized that what they really want to do is to offer new things in the RPG genre and since RPGs are based on old game mechanics (particularly grinding) they just don't want to focus RPGs as much as other genres.

Splatoon sold very well even without voice chat....not a good example here. You could have listed those spin offs last year which honestly doesn't say much.

Man, so much negativity here for this game.... I'm not getting it unless I know that it will have something like Uprising which has a decent chunk of single player. But from what I watched, the game isn't bad or horrible. The only thing that jarring is in the visual department but really...its not saying much since the game looks nice.

From all the impressions I've watched, most of them are saying that the game is decent and it looks like its decent. So I doubt that the actual game is horrible at all.

You guys need to quit bickering that the game is bad because it sure as hell doesn't look bad at all. The worst case scenario would be that this game will end up like Triforce Heroes being forced to play on multiplayer than single player.

First of all, an IP needs to expand further if it needs to exist. If the IP can't expand, then the IP is better off being dead. FE could be on a long hiatus if IS/Nintendo can't come up with something. F-Zero is probably as good as dead. Its a racing game but its good to have spin offs to expand the IP further.

It works for Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Mii and Kirby. So why not Metroid, F-Zero, Kid Icarus and many other dormant IP?

If Nintendo can't expand the IP further, then the IP is doomed to begin with. That's what happened to Chibi Robo. Nintendo knew that if they simply milk the same thing over again, there's no point in Chibi Robo at all.

And don't give me that "Oh Mario's being milked with the same thing!" First of all, the level designs are always fresh and creative in millions of ways. Second, new powerups and lastly, its a platformer series. Sure, the 2D ones aren't doing well recently, but with Super Mario Maker out there, its bound to do even better next gen.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Shinion

Jeez what a meltdown that last page was lol, rouding out with the old but still gold "Nintendo couldn't be more out of touch with their fanbase" hyperbole because someone didn't like a few games.

That was quite something. But then again it's Federation Force so it's not like rationality and perspective are to be expected.

Shinion

Socar

TheLastLugia wrote:

Jeez what a meltdown that last page was lol, rouding out with the old but still gold "Nintendo couldn't be more out of touch with their fanbase" hyperbole because someone didn't like a few games.

That was quite something. But then again it's Federation Force so it's not like rationality and perspective are to be expected.

If this game weren't a Metroid game, I highly doubt that this game would have any attention to it....only reason that it has some attention is because of it having the word Metroid.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Sorry, this topic has been locked.