Metalhead Software's Super Mega Baseball 3 arrives next week on Switch and we're working on a review for you at this very moment, but the developer has revealed that a post-launch mode called Custom Pennant Race will be released for free in "early Summer 2020".
This mode will build on the Pennant Race mode already in the game and enables players to organise private cross-platform Pennant Race. When the update hits up to 32 friends will be able to send out invites and participate - check out the trailer above for an overview.
As the name suggests, Custom Pennant Race will enable custom settings for competitive or casual play, and apparently came about thanks to feature requests from the Super Mega Baseball community. Here are some more details from the PR blurb about the upcoming game:
- Challenge your hand-eye coordination or relax and hit dingers with fluid gameplay that scales seamlessly from novice to beyond-expert levels of difficulty.
- Apply and refine your baseball instincts with a sophisticated baseball simulation featuring new pickoff and stealing mechanics, wild pitches/passed balls, designated hitters, and situational player traits.
- Take in the sights and sounds of 14 richly detailed ballparks, each featuring unique day, night and alternate lighting conditions.
- Guide an evolving team to greatness over multiple seasons in the all new Franchise mode featuring player development, aging, retirement and signing/releasing of free agents (1vCPU, 2vCPU, local or online).
- Compete online to win pennants and climb to higher divisions in the cross-platform Pennant Race mode (1v1, online only, controller only).
- Create your ideal league with a comprehensive customization suite that includes season length/structure, team names/uniforms/logos, and player names/appearance/attributes.
- Play or simulate any combination of games/teams in customized Seasons and Elimination brackets, solo or with friends (1vCPU, 2vCPU, 1v1, 2v1, 2v2, CPUvCPU, local or online).
Additionally, a Super Mega Baseball 2 Team Import tool should let users import their custom rosters from the previous game into the new one (this feature is also scheduled to come after launch).
Excited for this sequel? It launches on 13th May and we enjoyed the previous entry, so look out for our review of this one soon. Let us know your thoughts below.