If you like your horror on the more mysterious side of the spectrum, as opposed to gore and jump scares galore, you might want to take a look at Omen Exitio: Plague.
The game launched on Switch in the US just last week, and a European release is just around the corner, too. It's inspired by the old gamebooks of the '80s and '90s, as well as the works of H.P. Lovecraft, and has players making decisions which can alter the flow of the story. We've got a feature list for you below, as well as a blurb to set the scene:
Zanzibar, 1896. Dr. Jake Huntington enlisted in the army to forget the loss of his wife. Yet something sinister and ancient is about to overturn his life forever. Shadows that inhabit the confines of reality seem to converge all in one point: a terrifying disease that threatens to exterminate the entire human race.
However, the disease is just one of the pieces that make up a vast mosaic, and discovering its design may not be that easy. Intrigues, machinations and subterfuges hide the truth, tearing it away from the doctor’s understanding.
To connect all the dots, Jake will have to cross a threshold beyond which many before him have lost the way of reason. Are you willing to open this door?
- All new adventure set in H.P. Lovecraft’s otherworldly universe
- Encounter famous historical figures based on real events
- Your choices and chosen skills affect the way the story unfolds
- Hundreds of hand-drawn visuals to set the scene
- Hauntingly beautiful soundtrack and sound design
- Unlike most choose your own adventure (CYOA) titles, you can not meet an early demise
- One playthough takes 4 to 6 hours but it will take many more hours to experience everything
As we mentioned, you can go ahead and grab the game right now from the US eShop for $9.99. European players can expect to see the game become available for pre-order on the 12th September, with a full release coming just a little later on the 19th.
Does this sound like your cup of tea? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.