Sega's Japanese Christmas Present For 3DS Owners Is Puyo Puyo Tsuu

Posted by Kerry Brunskill

A popping gift

Sega continues to shine with its 3DS retro download offerings, this time it’s the turn of Game Gear puzzle classic Puyo Puyo 2: Tsuu, due out on Christmas day in Japan for just 400 Yen.

The game — the Mega Drive version of which was also released on the Wii Virtual Console back in 2008 — will include local multiplayer (both players will require their own copy of the game) as well as a pseudo four-player mode that adds two CPU Puyo-ers to the mix, as well as a variety of rules to suit all preferences.

Solo Puyo fans will still find plenty to do though – they have a tower filled with tea-drinking skeletons and giant-footed-sprite-thingies to do battle with.

Are you hoping to see this game in the west? Share your thoughts by leaving a comment below.

Image credit: BlackViolin

[via vc.sega.jp]

Reala

Reala said:

I thought the difficulty of puyo puyo 2 for the megadrive VC was way too high, couldn't even get past the 2nd puzzle :/ mean bean machines is much more forgiveable if they can tone down the difficulty to that level I might give it a look.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Is this some random article just to have an excuse to post that picture?

seronja

seronja said:

i want a free SEGA game too you know -.-' also welcome Kerry to Nintendo Life.

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

Alre can pop my bubb... I mean, nice picture! Where did you find it?

I'm a massive Puyo Puyo fan, so please come to the west. What's interesting is the 4 player mode was only available in the SNES version (which I'll admit, was better, due to the fact it had cut scenes like in the first game).

Or give us Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine with the Puyo Tsu settings. Now that would be awesome (and more likely happen).

EDIT: Or, it's the Game Gear version. Still cool.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

O_O Puyo-Puyo suddenly became sexy.

Never played it, though, but it sounds interesting. Tea-drinking skeletons?

brianvgplayer

brianvgplayer said:

I hope this comes here. I have the GG version and it's a nice version of the game. Not sure why they are choosing this over the GB one, though. Despite the lack of color, the GB version has more modes. Like Dr. Mario, it makes good use of the GB's shades and it's easy to tell the pieces apart. Then again, the GB's multiplayer still isn't emulated on 3DS and the GG's multiplayer is.

Royalblues

Royalblues said:

All I know is that Puyo Puyo Tetris better come to the US, online features and everything.
My brother and I spent HUNDREDS of hours on Puyo Puyo, both in the form of Mean Bean Machine and Puyo Pop Fever, with classic and fever rules. I just hope it comes out here so that my life can be complete.

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

@brianvgplayer: The Puyo series was owned by "Complie", but have gone out of business. "SEGA" then brought the license and are now the current owners.

This means it would be a lot easier to release / get the license to upload the games that are on a SEGA console, rather than say a Nintendo one. Shame as "Puyo Puyo Sun" on the Gameboy was really good.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

When will Sega release the sequel of Baku Baku Animals? I played the gamegear version of this game and I was crazy about it.

dethmart

dethmart said:

@GreatPlayer Would just love to see a version of Baku Baku animal on the virtual console..A 2 player online battle option would be brillant