New Super Mario Bros. 2 Continues Run in UK Charts

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Addaboy, Mario

There's been a particular trend for plenty of major 3DS releases in the UK charts; they make an initial foray into the all-format software top 10, before promptly falling away within a week or two. It seems that Nintendo's most reliable of franchises is bucking that trend, however, with Mario continuing his coin rush in British retailers.

The latest chart from UKIE shows that New Super Mario Bros. 2 is still occupying third place, a position it's held since it launched. It's an impressive run for Mario, and it's rare to see a 3DS exclusive holding onto such a high position for a sustained period of time; Nintendo must be rather pleased.

On the downside, the performance of other Nintendo-exclusives is somewhat weaker. The fading Olympic fever has seen Mario & Sonic at the London Olympic Games drop out of the top ten to 11th, while the only other 3DS titles in the top 40 are evergreens Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land, clinging on in 34th and 36th place.

A mixed bag, overall, but the continued sales success of New Super Mario Bros. 2 is proof that — regardless of some complaints about repetition — 2D Mario games sell in significant numbers.

[via ukie.info]

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

It really is a great game. While not groundbreaking, the levels are fresh and fun. I've been having a really good time with it (moreso than other 2D Mario titles). No surprises here!

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Well considering the game is the best in the NSMB series,I suppose it deserves to do well.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Well to be fair I only got it because there werent enough other 3DS games that I wanted coming out soon. Not really a sale Nintendo should be proud of.

TwilightPoint

TwilightPoint said:

@Token_Girl I haven't seen you in ages! Welcome back.
And place that it deserves, it is a great game no matter how many people say "There's nothing new about it!".

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

Just goes to show that innovation isn't everything. And why innovate all the time anyways? I really enjoy the New Super Mario Bros. series and 2 is the best yet in my opinion.

DeadpanKev

DeadpanKev said:

NSMB2....is a terrific game. A classic doesn't always have to reinvent itself to be great.

-KwB-

-KwB- said:

I l-o-v-e the game !! The 3D blurry background is supposed to be lie that huh ?