Meet Kokuga, The 3DS Shooter From The Man Behind Ikaruga

Posted by Damien McFerran

And we've got a trailer for it

Hiroshi Iuchi isn't a name that will be instantly familiar to most Nintendo fans, but you'll probably be aware of his output. He was responsible for the Dreamcast (and later, GameCube) 'polarity shooter' Ikaruga.

He's now working at Japanese 'shmup' specialist G.Rev as the director of a new 3DS game by the name of Kokuga.

Due for release in Japan on the 27th of this month, Kokuga features a unique four-player mode as well as the ability to utilise special cards to enhance your chances against the hordes of on-screen enemies. There's no word on a western release as yet.

The latest trailer for the game can be viewed below. It certainly looks rather nice, but if it's anywhere near as difficult as Ikaruga was then prospective players may wish to wrap their 3DS consoles in protective sheeting, lest they end up hurling them against a wall in frustration.

[via theverge.com]

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Never heard of it but when I look at it I cant help but think of the Coin Shooter game from Brawl. Looks really cool though!

shimage

shimage said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like you use the shoulder buttons to rotate the turrent? Not sure how I feel about that.

gamepopper

gamepopper said:

Please come to the West and I will be more grateful than the time they brought Solatorobo over!

jackleapp81

jackleapp81 said:

"Patience of a saint not included".

Well, shoot. Maybe they'll release a special edition someday with the patience included.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Want the game, but man when was the last time a 3rd party game not made by Ubisoft or Square Enix was released in the US?

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

This looks interesting, but I never really got into Ikaruga. Which is weird because I love most Treasure games, and also most bullet hell games. But somehow I never found Ikaruga fun, just difficult.

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

This is Lush!
Ikaruga was a Beautiful and Intelligent game. . . it didn't date - and yes, it was satisfyingly difficult!

i really hope this comes out in the West

luminalace

luminalace said:

I absolutely loved Ikaruga! I cannot wait for this game and I only heard about it thanks to this article!

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

Looks like the game that Touch Battle Tank 3D should have been. Can't wait to hear more about it.

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

If it had Smash TV controls I'd be all in. Visually great, multiplayer co-op is tremendous, but I hate rotation on the firing direction of the gun. Dual-stick is definitely the way to go there. It's much more responsive and awesome.
If that is changed I'd definitely look for a US launch with happiness.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

A game from ex-Guardian Heroes team making a spiritual successor to GH...

a game form ex-Ikaruga employee making a spiritual successor to Ikaruga...

Seems the 3DS is a new platform for ex-Treasure employees to make wicked games.

...but... WHAT'S HAPPENING TO TREASURE??? D:

player310

player310 said:

@chiptoon Hey it does wonders if you look and notice the way the in-game demos for each level works... it shows you tricks that maybe you never could think of that make the game more manageable. This game will always be highly regarded and will frequent my Gamecube for a long time...

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I do like shmups but Ikaruga sounds too hard for me so I'm not sure if I'd get this if it got a western release.