Japan Can 'Play With Kappa' In September

Posted by Darren Calvert

Here’s an interesting looking game heading to Japan later this month. Play with Kappa: Kappa and his Forest Friends is an educational game by Cable Entertainment for WiiWare. The story is about a young kappa and his quest to become human.

The game takes the form of an animated picture book which is narrated. There are quizzes which the kiddies can partake in to test if they have been paying attention, whilst the proud parents look on admiringly.

This is likely to never get a translation for release outside of Japan but it is an interesting use of the WiiWare service we think. For the bargain price of 600 Wii points this might sell quite well in the land of the rising sun.

See Inside Games for more screenshots.

samus2008

samus2008 said:

looks interesting, dont know if ill get it or not, seeing as i know no japanese whatsoever and therefor cant understand what theyre saying,. lol

Bensei

Bensei said:

A cheap alternative to those edutainment games Publishers want full price

Loooca

Loooca said:

I always found the Kappa myth an interesting one, especially how some old animes portrayed them. It seems like a fun, learning-related game that will do well in Japan.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

I hope this does not turn out like Donkey Kong Jr. Math, as in, I hope this game is actually fun... :P

lordbowser

lordbowser said:

Aren't Kappa's supposed to frighten children. I wrote a report about them for school once and it was rather umm... not child appropriate. Anywho this can stay in Japan.

Ark

Ark said:

Kappa and his Forest Friends, eh? Call me crazy, but that really reminds me of Animal Crossing! :D Remember that Kappa character who paddled the boat/drove the car? And in Japan Animal Crossing is roughly translated as Animal Forest.

As for the game itself, I can't really make any assumptions, seeing as we know little about it. But 600 Points is great. 'Tis a shame that it's an educational game. :P

Virus

Virus said:

This is how the Japanese secretly torture their children; they force them to have "fun" with comprehension tests...

Terra

Terra said:

I woudn't buy that with a pistol to my head. And by Pistol, i mean water pistol :D

No seriously, it's good to see game companies reaching out to different audiences and that sort of stuff may sell in Japan, but i seriously doubt it will ever get released here. There just isn't the right audience to do that

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Apocalypse

How exactly?

Personally this sounds very interesting, and certainly would appeal to a younger audience. It'll probably never make it to the west, but still, it's not a bad game.