Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 70,021 to 70,040 of 70,145

Ralizah

@Dogorilla I think they've done an amazing job this gen incentivizing digital purchases while also satiating the desires of physical owners.

Although they dropped the ball with the Famicom Detective Club remakes. Really disappointed those never got a physical english language release. Not even a tiny print run.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

Dogorilla

@Ralizah Agreed on Famicom Detective Club, that's the only first-party Switch release I can think of that's digital-only but still the same price as a full retail game. And it's never even been on sale!

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Ralizah

@Dogorilla Unfortunately. I didn't buy in at launch, and my own self-imposed rules make it where I won't buy a game down the road at full price, so I might have to bypass it completely.

Not that it matters. I have enough games to last me another 30 years. And plenty of VNs to boot.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

Grumblevolcano

@Dogorilla Mario Kart Live is kind of another, the physical version is just the equipment required to play the game meanwhile the game itself is a digital download.

On a side note, I hope F-Zero 99 gets a physical version and offline mode someday like Tetris 99 did. It's nice having an actually playable version of White Land II. The extras like mirror mode and "???" are cool too.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

dmcc0

@Ralizahs In the UK we tend not to get much in the way of discounts on eShop credit unless you are using the likes of CDKeys etc. It is pretty common to see around 15% discount on new physical releases though, so unless your picking the games that are priced a bit higher (TOTK, BOTW, Smash) then there's no real benefit to the voucher system in my opinion.

The vouchers here cost £84, but there are a dozen or so games included that are only £40 so not really great value on those. Endless Ocean for I can pre-order for £35 for example, TTYD and Luigi's Mansion for £40 each. Most of the stores have loyalty schemes too so will make more savings there if buying regularly (as well as redeeming the gold points too).

dmcc0

FishyS

@dmcc0 I've always wondered if I could get new games for cheaper by buying online from the UK and shipping to US 😝 Sadly there tend to be enough fees to not make that worthwhile.

The vouchers definitely make more sense in the US, though even for us games like Endless Ocean come out even with vouchers rather than actually being a sale.

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

dmcc0

@FishyS Yeah, the discounts are just enough to make it appealing to the locals, but not quite enough to make it worthwhile for overseas. I did personally get a cheap copy of Xenoblade from Germany once (Amazon.de I think) and I do see the odd deal pop up on some of the mainland Europe Amazon sites occasionally (Spain and Italy usually), but they tend to be stock clearance type stuff rather than deals on new games. It does appear though, that the games do get a similar discount not long after release - Mario RPG, for example, seems to be getting similar discounts both here and in the US at the moment.

To be honest, I've not bought a physical 1st party game for a long time as I'm lucky enough to have a son that tends to buy the majority of them - I'll just borrow his copy if I want to play!

dmcc0

Yydeckard

Any of you lot know if Switch games on amazon are cartridges ? Wanna get 1000 yr door but cant see it saying on the amazon product page....and I want the cartridge.

Yydeckard

dmcc0

@Yydeckard Should be the cart if it's Amazon - they stopped selling the download codes for Nintendo games in the UK a few years ago. The listing shows a pic of the case too

dmcc0

Yydeckard

I am sure I bought a game off amazon which had the physical case but just a download code in - just found it- Rabbids , spark of hope....so that's why I wondered as I got caught on that

Yydeckard

Grumblevolcano

@Yydeckard Some companies like Ubisoft and 2K stop printing proper physical versions and instead have code in box releases a certain time after launch (the Mario + Rabbids games are by Ubisoft). When that time happens Amazon is effectively useless as they sell code in box versions using the cartridge version listing.

You won't have the same problem for Paper Mario considering Nintendo doesn't do code in box versions.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Yydeckard

@Grumblevolcano Thanks for that I will order it today - I presume Amazon will get it here for day of release too ?

Yydeckard

Grumblevolcano

@Yydeckard Don't know how reliable preorders are there, I avoid buying from Amazon unless it's something older that I can't find elsewhere.

Grumblevolcano

OctolingKing13

No Silksong in Xboxes indie direct 😔

Taylor from Blank Space was my old pfp if anyone gets confused. this is tay from he latest album
I LOVE OCTO SHOT REPLICA
cats are the best

Anti-Matter

Why peoples keep wanting silksong so bad?
I don't even understand the appeal when I see the gameplay, I don't even have interest with silksong as 2D metroidvania.

Anti-Matter

OctolingKing13

@Anti-Matter because we don’t play cocomelon the game like you 🤫🧏🏽‍♂️
(please take this as a joke)

Taylor from Blank Space was my old pfp if anyone gets confused. this is tay from he latest album
I LOVE OCTO SHOT REPLICA
cats are the best

PikminMarioKirby

next Mario Kart news next week next switch successor console?!?!?!?!?! (don't actually listen to this lol)

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Remake HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FishyS

@PikminMarioKirby Next week is May 8th financial meeting right? Definitely no Mario Kart but good chance we will hear about Switch successor. And by 'about' I mean... that it officially exists 😆

And if we don't hear that, this forum will explode in theories.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Novamii

@FishyS The forum will go bonkers regardless, I'll get my popcorn ready for either scenario! XD

Edited on by Novamii

Idealism and realism are only a few letters apart, it's a fine line between the two. One must be careful not
to step too far on one end, as it could very easily throw the other off balance.

My Current Games: (Taking a break and leaving my gamer dungeon before TTYD.)

Grumblevolcano

I think I may end up sending TTYD straight to the backlog when it launches in 3 weeks. I don't think I'll have finished Unicorn Overlord by then (I seem to be around half way through judging by the map), I'll also be playing Endless Ocean Luminous at launch and Splatfest when it happens.

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic