Forums

Topic: Earthbound Beginnings - OT

Posts 101 to 118 of 118

CanisWolfred

nacho_chicken wrote:

@CanisWolfred
When EB Central & Co. streamed Beginnings, they joked about that when it came up. Was pretty funny.
"And that was the last day Phil Sandhop was allowed on starmen.net." XD

I've seen that text about a thousand times by now, but it never ceases to entertain me. Again, they knew what they were doing there. XD

nacho_chicken wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Bit late, but here's how I feel about this announcement:

LOL. I quoted that a day or two before this announcement.

Prophet! Lotto # plz. That way I can spend a fortune trying to find the right one just like I'd do anyways!

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Whopper744

Despite Earthbound being a bit better in my opinion and not feeling like most of the game is a grind fest, I've been strangely addicted to this game since the night it was released. Getting close to the end, but I'm not sure I want it to be over. I wish I had an official way to play Mother 3 next. The way I've had to play it hasn't worked out real well...not sure if I can really discuss that here, but anyway I'm glad I've got at least 2 of the 3 games on my Wii U now. Very interesting series. And I got my Ness amiibo and this handbook to add to my fandom : http://www.fangamer.com/products/m3-handbook

Seems odd thinking back to 1999 when I first unlocked this guy Ness I had never heard of before. It was like a hint at a game I wouldn't be able to play until 2013 on Wii U, and now here we are playing the original game in that series.

Nintendo ID : Whopper744

Twitter: @Whopper744games

online games include: Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS, Super Mario Maker and Splatoon.
Try out my Super Mario Maker stages at well! Here's one to start : F98B-0000-0022-0753
(used to be Joshers744...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9014-2585 | Nintendo Network ID: Whopper744

DarthNocturnal

Super Smash Bros 64 including Ness was pretty much the leading cause of interest spiking in Earthbound. I know he caught my attention (and Captain Falcon; didn't know much about F-Zero then). Same thing happened to Marth and Roy in Melee; when few knew who they were, most went and looked it up, realized they were missing out, and lo and behold, every FE (sans one) made since 2003 has been released in North America, and we're one Earthbound game shy of having the entire trilogy.

I figure that with Mother 3, it's now a case of when, not if. They could be planning it now for all we know.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

nacho_chicken

DarthNocturnal wrote:

I figure that with Mother 3, it's now a case of when, not if. They could be planning it now for all we know.

It very much is.

It's only a theory, but I think the main thing stopping MOTHER 3 from getting released is NoJ. In the case of MOTHER 1, it already had a "complete" English translation; they just had to go find the ROM. M3 was never outside of Japan, and therefore never had an official English translation. I'm sure NoA is chomping at the bits to take up Tomato's still-standing offer of his translation/consultation for free. Japanese companies are known for being very conservative. They're slowly learning that licensing fantranslations means practically free money. When even Minori (infamous for their IP blocking their website from foreigners after a controversy involving a certain Wii game) and Visual Art's (one of the higher-ups is a full-on gaijin-hating racist) are releasing their games westward, it's clear that's true.

However, Nintendo is a much bigger company than both of those combined. In order for them to get any real data on whether or not licensing fantranslations would be worth it, they'd have to either do some kind of crowdfunding campaign, or "sacrifice" a game by throwing it to the wolves and seeing how it does. Neither of those are particularly befitting an "honorable" Japanese company.

You also have to note that M3 bombed spectacularly in Japan. It didn't even sell through 50% of the total shipments. A lot of Japanese MOTHER fans also think that MOTHER 3 is a legitimately terrible game and that Americans are brain-dead idiots for even bothering to play it; let alone go to the trouble of translating it. It goes beyond GI#FE levels of senseless complaining. In Japanese news articles talking concerning Tomato's offer to Nintendo, comments like these are the majority:

Mother 3 is such a serious piece of garbage that it might be better for them NOT to play it. I was a fanboy of the game since it was announced for the N64, but the game turned out so horrible that it made me loathe Itoi

When I look back it was so cheap and such a lame sob story that I was incredibly disappointed. There might be fans overseas who are excited about it, but I bet they’ll be extremely disappointed once they actually play it. I feel bad for them in a way, actually.

I’m sure Nintendo wants to bury this failure of a game in the darkness forever.

(source)

What reason does NoJ have to translate and release a game that was a complete commercial failure when originally released? There's plenty of reasons to not even bother.

On the other hand, Japanese fans actually appreciate MOTHER 1. It would seem fans in the west just can't stand Dragon Quest-style RPGs that aren't named "Dragon Quest".

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

DarthNocturnal

Those comments don't seem much different then the average hater for any given game. Plus, if it was universally hated, why was Lucas in Brawl, and now brought back? If the game had THAT much of a negative reaction, and if he was an unknown in the West... then why is he here? Poor sales aside, his game must've caused SOME positive reactions.

Plus, I don't think I've heard any ill comments of the game in the west. The "few" who have played it give a good report. And if it was THAT bad, why would Tomato and his team even bother translating?

And there's been a lot of cases where Japan hates/ doesn't care for something but the west loves it. Metroid is just kinda "there" in Japan, but the Western territories generally love it (insert Federation Force joke / needless slander here).

kkslider5552000

I bet those are the same idiots that suggested no one cared about the story in Super Paper Mario. **** em. They're probably FFXIII fans too.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

NintendoFan64

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I bet those are the same idiots that suggested no one cared about the story in Super Paper Mario. **** em. They're probably FFXIII fans too.

Now, now. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion...with that said, (Dresses up like the terminator.) I'll be back.

Edited on by NintendoFan64

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

CanisWolfred

nacho_chicken wrote:

On the other hand, Japanese fans actually appreciate MOTHER 1. It would seem fans in the west just can't stand Dragon Quest-style RPGs that aren't named "Dragon Quest".

....or they never played the better played the better games on the NES that aren't total grindfests, and therefore don't realize that they don't have to suffer from Mother 1's godawful pacing, slow movement, excessive grinding that focuses mostly on exp (money and equipment aren't that useful or even plentiful for a decent chunk of the game), basic gameplay with no mechanical twists whatsoever...

Or maybe they just wouldn't know a good RPG if it bit them on the nose. Judging from their comments about Mother 3...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

LuigiTheGreenFire

I have put a few hours into this game after purchasing it on July 7. I bought Earthbound back in January and finished it in May. I also just beat Mother 3 after starting it in May. Earthbound Beginnings does seem like a grindfest, but I look forward to completing the trilogy.

What Would W. Do?

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1033-1732 | Nintendo Network ID: Wman1996

Whopper744

It may have not been quite as impressive as Earthbound was when I first got to play it, but I very much enjoyed this one. Yes, there was times I got tired of having to grind, but it felt worth it. Somewhere over 30 hours into it before I beat it yesterday I believe. I'm of course hoping for an official release of Mother 3 to play like this soon. Truly is a shame it never made it to the US.

Nintendo ID : Whopper744

Twitter: @Whopper744games

online games include: Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS, Super Mario Maker and Splatoon.
Try out my Super Mario Maker stages at well! Here's one to start : F98B-0000-0022-0753
(used to be Joshers744...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9014-2585 | Nintendo Network ID: Whopper744

nuts

(Spoilers for Mother 3)

When mother 3 comes out in the usa I hope they localize the ending idk about the japaneese players but the ending was really anti climatic.. You have all this build up with the music and everyone coming to the top floor And I was thinking I was gonna fight some huge creepy dark gigyas land destroying dragon monstrosity + pokey + masked man. but be surprised by something different/better.
But nah you go to this place that looks like cave to the past but purple/black with rock and eletric monsters you fight pokey waiting on the side with just a plain blut background then the maskman jazz the end

nuts

Nintendo Network ID: nuts

NintendoFan64

@icedude545 I liked the ending. Yeah, it's might not be some epic battle with a giant monster, but it was very emotional. I mean, think about it:

You have to fight your own brother, who's been missing for three years, only to show up again brainwashed as Porky's own personnel robot. Not only that, but the way the fight ends with Claus killing himself is heartbreaking. Plus there's the fact that by pulling the final needle, Lucas ends up destroying the world. Also, it's worth mentioning that what happens to Porky is just downright terrifying, being trapped inside the Absolutely Safe Capsule forever...all alone...without being able to die...

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

nuts

(Spoilets for mother 3)

@NintendoFan64: its all good junk and all if you just think about the story. But the video game part man.. I was wanting the whole package a epic tough battle probably with awesome evil rock guitar music and backgrounds but all mother 3 like. So all that expierence, fighting, psi moves and items could be put to 1 more time to the toughest epicist battle that will probably take me a couple tries xD just my gamer part dosent like the end

nuts

nacho_chicken

icedude545 wrote:

(Spoilets for mother 3)

@NintendoFan64: its all good junk and all if you just think about the story. But the video game part man.. I was wanting the whole package a epic tough battle probably with awesome evil rock guitar music and backgrounds but all mother 3 like. So all that expierence, fighting, psi moves and items could be put to 1 more time to the toughest epicist battle that will probably take me a couple tries xD just my gamer part dosent like the end

MOTHER 1 final boss fight:

Space alien bent on destroying the world. It shrugs off any attacks. The only thing that can take it down are its own emotions brought upon it by a lullaby from its human "mother".

MOTHER 2 final boss fight:

Embodiment of evil itself. Attacks aren't even a thing on whatever dimension he's located in. The only hope of stopping it is for everyone on Earth to pray from the bottom of their heart... including the player.

MOTHER 3's final boss fight:

Your own brother, presumed dead, brainwashed. Your father has ignored you for years searching for him. Every thought of him brings back painful memories of your mother's death. You break down at the thought of raising your weapon at him. The only way to fight is to hope that reminding him of family can unbrainwash him.

What you expected MOTHER 3's final boss fight to be like (FFVII not-really-spoilers):

There was no place for MOTHER 3 to end any other way. Since the very first game, the series has eschewed the genre staple of "final bosses" being difficult, drawn out affairs against multi-phase enemies. Instead, it did something revolutionary: tied the game's central theme to gameplay. By making "hit bad thing with sticks" not trip the win state, it forced you to instead follow your heart. In gameplay terms, it forced you to explore the battle system and use options you may have thought pointless, or otherwise use typical options in an unorthodox method.

Who would the final boss be, anyway? Giygas? He's dead. Porky? He got what he wanted, in the worst possible way. The Masked Man? If, in the brief moment that you can actually get an attack off on him, you do, the game practically scolds you. The response could bring a grown man to tears.

What you want is not what Lucas wants. It's not what Hinawa wants. It's not what MOTHER needs.

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

FuzzyPickles94

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Those comments don't seem much different then the average hater for any given game. Plus, if it was universally hated, why was Lucas in Brawl, and now brought back? If the game had THAT much of a negative reaction, and if he was an unknown in the West... then why is he here? Poor sales aside, his game must've caused SOME positive reactions.

Except that Lucas was added alongside every other character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl before Mother 3 even got released (the characters were decided before development began, Mother 3 got released on April 20, 2006). It's not really evidence to suggest Mother 3 was well received since Lucas was included before Mother 3's reception came in.

Not that it matters too much anyway given that Lucas is a beloved character anyway. From what I recall, he was highly requested for Brawl in Japan and he was really highly wanted for DLC for SSB 3DS & Wii U worldwide (he was the most wanted in Japan based off anecdotal polls).

FuzzyPickles94

Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

DarthNocturnal

@astarisborn94

"Not that it matters too much anyway given that Lucas is a beloved character anyway. From what I recall, he was highly requested for Brawl in Japan and he was really highly wanted for DLC for SSB 3DS & Wii U worldwide (he was the most wanted in Japan based off anecdotal polls)."

And there you go. The game clearly has some positive influence. Not every poorly selling game is bad. And if we're using "bad games" as a barrier, ROB wouldn't be here. He's historical, you say? Doesn't matter, his games stunk! =P

nuts

@Nacho_Chicken thanks for giving me a idea what to eat tonight.
Ok Ok forget what I said Because I did but I said the story is all good junk but I wanted a final boss fight bigger than earthbound because we got big ol evil pokey whos been treating the island like a toyset, the giant dragon that could bring who knows what and masked man I didnt really care for him because my brother spoiled it for me so to me hes just the guy who dies. That and where at the bottom of a dark pit and theres rock music. So out of all that I wanted a Tough darker final boss battle where you put all your skills, psi and such to use.

There was just no final boss just a script

nuts

Moroboshi876

Sorry to resurrect a thread more than 2 years old (or maybe not sorry if it helps me or anybody), but I have one simple question:

People are putting Earthbound Beginnings into the NES Classic Edition (aka NES Mini), but they don't specify if they're transferring the fanmade translation or the Wii U Virtual Console's fully and officially translated version properly dumped.

Does anybody know if this official version's ROM is anywhere to be downloaded and played in the NES Mini? If not, I'm willing to take the next chance of downloading it into the Wii U, that is if the game ever gets discounted again. I missed last opportunity. But I'd prefer to play it on an official NES-shaped console, even if it's small and a replica.

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic