Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 4,901 to 4,920 of 15,210

Nicolai

@Octane: Ah, I didn't catch the irony.

I guess now that I think about it, you're right, the Hover boots weren't used very much if you're not trying to glitch the game. But there's definitely potential for those boots to be more universal in Zelda U, if the world permits it.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Nicolai

@Kinan: They made fighting Iron Knuckles really fun

It's kinda funny how they made a point to give each pair of boots a major drawback, to make sure you would want to go back to your old boots each time.

Got married.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Haiassai

Good questions... "What does crafting do"? Maybe not much in regards to puzzles and exploration. It does, however, increase a game's battle system variability.

Let's put crafting aside. As far as RPG elements go, however, I still make the argument of conversation differentiation--choosing a path via conversations. Introducing affinity to the gameplay. This would create intrapersonal puzzles rather than physical ones.

Haiassai

3DS Friend Code: 5300-9678-4406 | Nintendo Network ID: Haiassai | Twitter:

Haru17

It's funny how in any other reality the iron boots would be a suicide method, but in Zelda they're a tool. ;P

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Nicolai

@Haiassai: So you could play as a good link everybody likes or a bad link everybody hates? It's hard to wrap my head around the idea of everybody hating Link's guts; I'd probably just make everybody like me.

I would hope that there isn't too much dialogue, and it isn't slow and dull. Sometimes wading through potential answers to questions can get a little boring in games like that, if you're not in the right mood.

Got married.

Haiassai

@Nicolai: I think a hero should be disliked by some. I mean, if you go slashing my Cuccos, I'd be upset. I don't think it has to be like Fable where there's good or evil, but I think there can be multiple paths.

As for your second point, there doesn't have to be a lot of dialogue to have affinity. Granted, I think the quality of dialogue would be the determining factor.

Haiassai

TuVictus

It would be refreshing if not everyone is automatically Link's best friend because he's such a good kid who silently helps people out. I'd love if we could upset people

TuVictus

Tyranexx

Operative wrote:

It would be refreshing if not everyone is automatically Link's best friend because he's such a good kid who silently helps people out. I'd love if we could upset people

There are three instances I can think of in the Zelda games I've played where you can genuinely upset people with your actions. There are likely more, but I've only played 11 out of 18 games (if we're counting TFH, otherwise 11/17)

(The following spoilers are found in Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, and Link's Awakening, in release order)
1. In Link's Awakening, you can steal from the shop in Mabe Village. If you enter the shop again after you steal something, the angry shopkeep is NOT Link's biggest fan and then proceeds to kill him with a beam of light. Afterwards, your name in the game is permanently changed to THIEF. In both versions of the game, stealing is completely optional, but to 100% the photo album in the DX version, you pretty well have to steal something.

2. In Twilight Princess, there's a shop in Faron Woods that's run by a talking bird. You take anything you want, but you have to pay the required rupees before leaving. If you fail to do so, the bird gives a verbal warning and calls you a cheapskate. I also think if you do this too many times, you get attacked by it. It's been a while since TP, so I may have my facts a little messed up here.

3. In Skyward Sword, there's a heart piece sitting on top of the chandelier in the Lumpy Pumpkin. To get it, you have to roll into the beam holding it up in order to knock down the chandelier (breaking it in the process) and get the heart piece. This is despite both verbal AND written warnings inside the bar. Needless to say, the owner, Pumm, isn't very happy with you, and starts you off on a sidequest chain.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

It's funny how in any other reality the iron boots would be a suicide method, but in Zelda they're a tool. ;P

Most of my clothing is blue, I'll be fine!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Nicolai

@Trinexx: Also, you can tell Zelda "Nice costume" to her outfit, lol.

@Kinan: I agree with all of that. Extra RPG features could be nice, but it won't make the game special.

Got married.

Eel

@Trinexx: in Wind Waker there's the rich guy in Windfall island and the pot girl in Outset Island.

Let's just say they don't agree with Link's attitude towards pots.

Also, in OoT you can annoy Zelda if you give her the wrong answers during her monologue in the castle courtyard.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Haru17

Morpheel wrote:

in Wind Waker there's the rich guy in Windfall island and the pot girl in Outset Island.

Let's just say they don't agree with Link's attitude towards pots.

Also, in OoT you can annoy Zelda if you give her the wrong answers during her monologue in the castle courtyard.

Yeah, there's a lot of places where you can be obstinate in the dialogue options or break things and get charged 10 ruppees (like the hanging pot at the boat house in Twilight Princess).

Tyranexx

@Nicolai: I never selected that dialogue option in both of my playthroughs, so now I'm curious, lol.

@Morpheel: I think I recall reading something about the rich guy. I have yet to play Wind Waker, but it is in my backlog. Also, apparently I need to play devil's advocate with dialogue some more.

I don't recall the boat house thing in Twilight Princess, but I did remember something else; in the original Legend of Zelda, sometimes burning down bushes, entering caves, etc. would cause you to have to pay the Old Man back since you had to "pay for repairs" for breaking and entering.

Edit: Also, there's the whole "I know you have bugs..." thing with Agatha in Twilight Peincess, though I don't know if that truly counts.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Haru17

Trinexx wrote:

Edit: Also, there's the whole "I know you have bugs..." thing with Agatha in Twilight Peincess, though I don't know if that truly counts.

Fur rul serial killer, that.

Haru17

Kinan wrote:

Ahh, Agitha. I loved many aspects of TP, but Agitha was a quick 180 degree turn and Nope-ing my way out of there asap.

To Catch A Predator: Hyrule

Haiassai

@Kinan: fair, but I find the genre a bit strict. I argue that Zelda is an action-adventure game, but puzzle is a big part of it too. Adding dialogue options could truly enhance and change the approach of puzzles. I've already mentioned this, but imagine selecting a response where an entire town is now upset at you, making the exploration even harder (as you'd need to bypass the towns guards now instead of just waking through). Imagine you brought peace among the Gorons and the Zora, and now they allow you to use an item since you've gained their trust.

Also think about the lore. This is one element I think the game could expand upon. Everyone knows it exists and it could be furthered through dialogue.

I feel that while I love exploring and fighting just like Anyone else, adding this option wouldn't ruin the feel of the game — it would only enhance it

Haiassai

Nicolai

@Haiassai: There's definitely a way of people not liking something like that. Many Zelda people I know who play Zelda (they're usually more casual players, but not always) like to skip ahead and not read the dialogue very carefully. Or maybe, just like how people didn't like the pressure of being timed in Majora's Mask, people won't like the pressure of saying the wrong thing in conversation. I personally would enjoy it the one time, but it's a bit of a stretch to say it would "only enhance" the gameplay, when I could see it being a bother for a lot of people.

Got married.

Haiassai

@Nicolai:be that as it may, if it's a good mechanic, an artist should not compromise to a group of people that may not like it. After all, I think we all agree that the time mechanic was wonderful and really made the mood of Majoras Mask.

Haiassai

TuVictus

True, you can't please everyone. Some people would just have to be unhappy with a mechanic like that. Similar to everyone that doesn't like SS's motion controls. I'd prefer they try new things and some people don't like it than just do the same thing forever.

TuVictus

Nicolai

@Haiassai: I agree and disagree. On the one hand, there are a lot of wonderful things that not everybody likes that make great video games. At the same time, there's a lot of value in doing something that pleases everyone. Game designers shouldn't just ignore that.

I think they should try it anyway, though, but just for one game.

Got married.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic