Wii Virtual Console Forum

Topic: No VC release this week?!

Showing 201 to 220 of 623

AuthorMessage

Token_Girl

201. Posted:

A little of both. It would seem to make more sense for 3rd parties to develop for WW given those numbers, but most of the sales are still only going to the top 10% of all titles. Doing a ROM dump of an old VC game costs next to nothing, so the risk to reward ratio for VC/WW would even out, I'd think.

A big part of this too, is what GoNintendo points out: more releases on WW and fewer on VC this year. The issue is the same it always is on Ninty consoles for VC: Ninty games are excellent and in general outshine anything produced by 3rd parties. I'd guess Sega is doing pretty well too on VC, but not really any other 3rd parties for the most part. That's why Ninty stays away from WW.

Hopefully the popularity of WW will convince Nintendo that online gaming is important and motivate them to improve their online shop and services to match up with what the HD twins (or the iphone) offer in both cost effectiveness and functionality. I worry though that they'll see rising sales numbers as a sign they don't really have to do anything, because people like the service just the way it is.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery
Pokemon Platinum FC: 0517 9582 3270
Pokemon SS FC: 4512 4783 5710
Mario Kart DS FC: 4211 7712 2928

AuthorMessage

TwilightV

202. Posted:

Token+Girl wrote:

A little of both. It would seem to make more sense for 3rd parties to develop for WW given those numbers, but most of the sales are still only going to the top 10% of all titles. Doing a ROM dump of an old VC game costs next to nothing, so the risk to reward ratio for VC/WW would even out, I'd think.

A big part of this too, is what GoNintendo points out: more releases on WW and fewer on VC this year. The issue is the same it always is on Ninty consoles for VC: Ninty games are excellent and in general outshine anything produced by 3rd parties. I'd guess Sega is doing pretty well too on VC, but not really any other 3rd parties for the most part. That's why Ninty stays away from WW.

Hopefully the popularity of WW will convince Nintendo that online gaming is important and motivate them to improve their online shop and services to match up with what the HD twins (or the iphone) offer in both cost effectiveness and functionality. I worry though that they'll see rising sales numbers as a sign they don't really have to do anything, because people like the service just the way it is.

Okay, I guess it's not as bad as I thought it was. As long as the VC is supported even a little, i'll be happy. :3

TwilightV

AuthorMessage

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

203. Posted:

Games I've Gotten Out of Desperation:
Star Fox
Super Off Road: the Baja
Mario Paint
Castle of Illusion (Genesis)
Rescue Rangers

Edited on by The_Ink_Pit_Ox

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

AuthorMessage

M00se

204. Posted:

as ive said 10+ times wii ware is total trash! VC FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PSN ID: brucethemoose904
3DS FC: 3566-2025-1426
My Music: http://djm00se.bandcamp.com/
Previously known as: BB_Thrilla

AuthorMessage

Stuffgamer1

205. Posted:

Here's a good sign that Nintendo is still interested in the VC. Who knows, maybe sales will increase noticably with this new advertising method!

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

AuthorMessage

cheetahman91

206. Posted:

I just want the VC to get to game #350 already. Hopefully next week we'll get a VC game so we can get one step closer to game #350.

Nintendolife Chatroom
Backloggery
GameSpot
Youtube
Jesus is the only way.
It's OK for someone to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.

Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

AuthorMessage

Betagam7

207. Posted:

With Last Ninja 3 being removed from the service this was actually the first week where we got minus one VC game!

Betagam7

AuthorMessage

astarisborn94

208. Posted:

Only three games will be released in the Japanese Virtual Console in March.

I think it's time to be concerned about the future of the service. For a few people like me, it'll decide whenever or not we'll keep the system.

astarisborn94

AuthorMessage

Stuffgamer1

209. Posted:

I'd definitely recommend AGAINST getting rid of the system, as there are already tons of great games available for it in retail and VC, and even a few on WiiWare. I compare the idea of dumping a Wii due to cancelled VC support to thowing away three pounds of quality Halloween candy just because you were unable to procure a fourth (I hope that example made sense and/or was unnecessary...so long as you understand my point).

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

AuthorMessage

Crystalking18

210. Posted:

The main problem with the service now is that there aren't any good games left to put on it anymore. All of the big names are on now, with only just some no names to fill the void. But what really bugs me is the lack of N64 games for the service. I mean, why not have any N64 games anymore? They only just scratched the surface for the console. Sure, Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are out, but what about the Mario Party games, Donkey Kong 64, Pokemon Stadium, and Diddy Kong RAcing just to name a few. These games were great on the N64, but why haven't they been released. Granted, Rare came up with most of the good games, but that still shouldn't stop them from at least putting them onto the system. And even then, why can't they actually put on good games, like Strider, Earthbound, and The Simpsons Arcade game? Those were great games. Still, what gives? There's not really any reason to visit the shop channel anymore unfortunately.

FF6: Release year- 1994
Kefka's birthday - November 9th
So.... my life is practically mirroring Kefka? Cool.

AuthorMessage

cheetahman91

211. Posted:

I think the VC's days are numbered. I'll be surprised if it's still around in 2011.

Nintendolife Chatroom
Backloggery
GameSpot
Youtube
Jesus is the only way.
It's OK for someone to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.

Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

AuthorMessage

CrazyOtto

212. Posted:

I don't think the VC will ever completely die. Remember when NA switched up to 2 VC games a week throughout November and December of 2009?

Rest in Peace ShiftyLook
I keep these Nintendo Life threads updated: Missing 3DS VC and Wii U VC between regions, Full of list first party Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Gear games missing from the 3DS VC, and Full of list first party Game Boy Advance games missing from the Wii U VC.

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

AuthorMessage

Unca_Lz

213. Posted:

Um, why would they get rid of the channel cheetah?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

214. Posted:

The VC will die once they find a replacement for it.

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

AuthorMessage

Smileoscar

215. Posted:

I haven't bought a VC game in like a year LOL...no wait that's not fun,it's sad :(

I hear its amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on hari-kiri rock!!! I NEED´╗┐ SCISSORS!!! 61!!!

AuthorMessage

brooks83

216. Posted:

Nintendo is still making millions on the VC service, why would they discontinue it? I have pretty much stopped caring about the VC to be honest. I just hit up a used game store if i want a retro game. To those of you in Texas, you should definately check and see if there is a Movie Trading Post near you, they have a great selection of games at really good prices. Why hold out hope for Turok 1 to be released for 10 bucks on the VC when I can buy it for 2.99?

Edited on by brooks83

brooks83

AuthorMessage

Stuffgamer1

217. Posted:

The majority of profit being made on the VC seems to be from games that have already been released. With that in mind, it's perfectly plausible that they might eventually give up on adding more games to the catalogue. I don't think anybody here meant to suggest they'd remove the option to buy what's already available, though. That would just be crazy!:P

AuthorMessage

brooks83

218. Posted:

I dont know, I mean when the Wii 2 comes out they could start releasing GC and Wii games on the VC. Then theres the DC and more advanced arcade games to bring out. And then theres the option of a handheld VC on the DSi. So the argument that we are running out of games to release doesn't hold up. If Nintendo wants to stop releasing VC games and sit back and watch the money pile up then so be it, but there is still PLENTY of potential left in the VC. They do need to realize though that by going that route they are upsetting a lot of loyal fans. I mean, just look at what people are saying on these boards.

brooks83

AuthorMessage

Stuffgamer1

219. Posted:

You and I see it differently than Nintendo, unfortunately. Of course, given the poor sales of most recent VC releases (and third party titles in general according to the recent estimates), it's not surprising that a lot of companies would be disinclined to bother with it at all. Nintendo's horrible way of treating the third parties can't be helping either. Squenix promised FFIV on VC by the end of last year...which was almost two months ago. WTF, Nintendo?

As for the Virtual Handheld: As awesome as that idea still sounds, I'd have to think that if Nitnendo was going to do it, they already would have. It seems like they didn't want old games competing with the crap on DSiWare 'cause they knew the latter would get trounced, at least in the core gaming market. That seems to be the same reason VC support dropped shortly after WiiWare launch, too; the newfound need for less competition. Which still makes you wonder why Nintendo doesn't give a crap what competes with what at retail.:P

AuthorMessage

astarisborn94

220. Posted:

StarFox wrote:

The VC will die once they find a replacement for it.

There will be no replacement for the Virtual Console and if so, it will be an poor excuse for an replacement (I'm looking at you CN Real).

astarisborn94