Forums

Topic: The GameBoy Advance Thread

Posts 181 to 200 of 201

card-crunch78

My favorite part in Metroid Fusion is when I went into Sector 6 (NOC) and encountered the blue X parasites, which of course are icy-cold and deadly to me because of my Metroid DNA, so after avoiding most of them I end up getting the Varia Suit, which made the blue X safe to absorb. Some of them didn't realize this and tried to attack me, but when they see that I've been eating their buddies and not suffering any damage, they panic and try to flee if I get close to them in future encounters.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Sunsy

Playing Nickelodeon Kart Racers 3 on Switch got me in the mood to play the old Nickelodeon GBA game Jimmy Neutron vs. Jimmy Negatron again last night. A favorite from the days I watched Jimmy Neutron. Dug up my old copy and started playing.

I forgot how unique this game was. It used mode-7 to make a 3D platformer. Already cleared the first nine levels and the boss. Also, I have memories of playing the multiplayer in this one with classmates. Doing the astroids multiplayer mini-game on a small map with lots of asteroids made for some frantic action.

This leads me to ask, anyone else have any favorite cartoon tie-in games from the GBA days? I remember playing this one a lot back when Jimmy Neutron was my then favorite character.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

TheBigBlue

There were 5 GBA games announced to be coming soon to the NSO service. In order of reveal was Metroid Fusion, Kirby and The Amazing Mirror, Fire Emblem (Blazing Blade), F-Zero Maximum Velocity, and finally Golden Sun. Metroid Fusion was the first post launch GBA game, so unless a surprise GbA game that wasn’t announced is thrown in like the Game Boy’s recent update, I think it would be safe to expect Kirby and the Amazing Mirror is the candidate for this month’s GBA title, which is great! The whole game is just Metroid/Castlevania in Kirby form anyway!

Edited on by TheBigBlue

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

XandertheWise

Been like 10 years or so since i played a game for my old Gameboy Advance SP.

sometime next month I just might plan on replaying either Final Fantasy V Advance or Final Fantasy VI Advance for old time sake

XandertheWise

TheBigBlue

NEW GBA GAME ON SWITCH THIS MONTH

It’s probably Kirby and the amazing mirror so prepare yourselves

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

Nintentoad125

I'm kinda hoping the next GBA game on NSO will be Kururin Paradise... I mean we got the first one at launch, i can't be the only one who cared about it..? Right..?

Currently playing: With my emotions ;-;

BowsersBuddy

Hi all

I am thinking about picking up a game boy advance. Never had one before, my original game boy has finally died, so it would be nice to be able to have access to my old collection and also try some I haven’t played before.

I’m in the Uk. What’s the best way to get a GBA console now, would you say? Are CEX good for old consoles? Or should I take my chances on eBay/Facebook marketplace?

BowsersBuddy

dmcc0

@BowsersBuddy If you've got a CEX locally that you can go to in person to inspect it then it should be fine, otherwise you're taking a bit of a chance ordering from the website as they usually don't have photos so it's not clear exactly what condition its in.

I bought a GBA SP from Gumtree a while back, although not sure if many people still use Gumtree now that Facebook marketplace is a thing though - the gaming stuff I see local to me is usually just PS4, Switch and 360.

There are loads of websites selling modded GBAs too if you want to go down that route - better screens, USB charging etc, but they can be pretty expensive.

dmcc0

BowsersBuddy

@dmcc0 thank you!

Does anyone have any experience of the anbernic K101 Plus? I see it was reviewed on here several years back. They are still selling them, albeit for more now, and there doesnt seem to any UK sellers. Can pick it up cheap on alixexpress (not heard great things about that website), or can pay more to buy it directly and ship it over.

BowsersBuddy

Princess_Lilly

Wouldn't RG35XX be better? It can run PS1 games (although with problems, like no music in some games for absolutely no reason), and the only downside is no physical cartridge readers. I'm not an expert though, so I would like to know what's K101's advantages

Princess_Lilly

BowsersBuddy

@Princess_Lilly the k101 can play physical gba carts. It also comes with an optional SD card with 500 gba games on it.

I don’t personally have any intention of downloading etc, mainly just want the option to access physical carts.

The analogue pocket would actually be perfect for me, but not at the price it’s currently going for!

BowsersBuddy

dmcc0

@BowsersBuddy I was going to suggest an Analogue Pocket (I have one), but they are expensive. I was looking at modding the GB & GBA, but figured the Pocket would cost about the same as modding both, so decided to go with that.

Worth it if you already have a collection of carts you want to play IMO - or hardly any carts in my case😅 I only had a handful of GB/GBA carts, but ordered the Pocket in Nov last year and it only got delivered a couple of months ago. By the time it got delivered I'd bought some more GB/GBC/GBA and loads of Game Gear - I bought the GG adaptor with the Pocket despite not having a single GG game, or ever owning a Game Gear.

The RetroN Sq plays GB/GBC/GBA carts too and is relatively cheap, although not a handheld. I remember reviews from when it first released saying the GBA support was a bit ropey though - not sure if they've updated it since.

dmcc0

BowsersBuddy

@dmcc0 they do look like a great bit of kit! If you are in the UK, Would you mind asking how much it cost to get one? As I’m aware we would need to pay shipping etc. No worries if you would rather not say though!

Thanks I will check out the retron so too!

BowsersBuddy

Princess_Lilly

@BowsersBuddy Oh, didn't know that about the 101. I don't have many GBA physicals, mostly on Wii U and Switch.

35XX has More Friends of Mineral Town though, how did they get the license for that

Princess_Lilly

dmcc0

@BowsersBuddy I think I payed about £265, but that was with a screen protector and the Game Gear adaptor. Postage was expensive - about $60USD if I remember correctly. Also got stung for import duty which I had to pay before UPS would deliver - that was another £60ish. So around £320 - £330 altogether.

dmcc0

BowsersBuddy

@dmcc0 thanks, sounds like the quality means it’s worth it but unfortunately I’m not looking to spend that at the moment. Maybe one for the future!

@Princess_Lilly yeah I actually don’t have any gba cartridges either, was looking to start a collection…but I think the other device you mentioned could actually be of interest, thanks for the heads up - looks like there are quite a few options with games included which could be worth a look!

BowsersBuddy

BowsersBuddy

@Princess_Lilly so I have basically gone full circle on this, and am now considering one of the Anbernic handhelds that comes with the SD card. Can I Just ask, are you using the standard unbranded SD card that came with yours? Or did you purchase a banded SD card and back it up etc? I don’t have a PC, so wouldn’t be able to go that route, so would just like to know if the one it comes with is reliable!

Edited on by BowsersBuddy

BowsersBuddy

Princess_Lilly

@BowsersBuddy I backed the unbranded sd card on my pc cause I reas that they are not reliable. I havent encountered any problems with mine but then again I dont really use it that much nowadays. I did play some and even passed one game, but I wouldnt say I played more than say 50h.

The best way would be to back it up somehow, but I dont know how to do it without PC

Princess_Lilly

BowsersBuddy

@Princess_Lilly cool thank you, to be honest I could probably do with getting a laptop at some point anyway so maybe this will be a good motivation for finally getting one

BowsersBuddy

Princess_Lilly

@BowsersBuddy I think PCs/laptops are pretty handy overall, but even if anbernic's sd breaks, it's easier to get a new one lol.

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do

Princess_Lilly

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic