Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 6,041 to 6,060 of 11,914

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX they hold their own events every year..... They skipped that this year, too..... . All the obvious speculation is it involves the ps5 announcement, but...... Skipping your own event and not even showing up at the big event.... Not even a folding table with pamphlets for indie games or something..... That's just bizarre. When you look quiet compared to Nintendo, youre definitely doing it wrong . It's possible if not probable that have an enormous spare no expenses media blitz planned sometime after June all the budget is going into..... But it's still weird for #1 to just entirely ignore so the events.

@Anti-Matter hmm, I'm not sure actually. Arcade models didn't come with the hard drive..... But idon't remember anything about memory stick...i wonder if they bundled then with usb thumb sticks for limited storage at some point? That's a head scratcher. Fwiw there's no special memory card slot or anything, so it's either usb or just ab oddly worded reference to a small hdd or internal storage?

@DarthNocturnal yeah those 360 drives were grossly priced. Though i think they fixed that with the last redesign that didn't even take those weird custom enclosed ones anymore.

Curious about anthem. I actually already preordered because e3 made it sound a lot better than i expected.... But then i found teso.... That's kind of consuming the online mmo games thing for me.

NEStalgia

redd214

Battlefield V back down to $30 on Newegg if anyone is interested. Seems to be a great MP experience from what I've read. Definitely not for me but a AAA game half off weeks after launch is worth sharing I guess

redd214

Dezzy

If you don't care about graphics, backwards compatability is just so damn good. It adds so much value to the console.
I've bought like 5 x360 games in the last month. All for a few bucks.
Just got Bad Company 2 cos everyone says it's the best Battlefield game.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

@Dezzy I know, right? i swear half my X1 collection consists of newly bought 360/XBOX games. I just love building up my digital library with the games I liked or wanted for the past 18 years.

It's actually tempting me to buy the FF games on X1 instead of Switch just so I can have them long term in my library rather than buying them every generation (but they'd be sooo great on Switch...)

I just get worried that that goodness won't last forever because it will be too problematic to keep backward compatibility going long term, and/or publishers will realize they make a lot more money selling the same game every 7 years at full price than selling it at reduced price digitally, endlessly, once to each player.

Just in the last 6 months months, I added FFXIII trilogy, Brutal Legend, the older Mass Effects, Dragon Ages, Castlevania LoS games (except Los1, not digital), BG&E, the Rare games, the Fable games, lots of Sonic games, Jet Set radio, Overlord, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey (thanks, Thanos! ) I might even be missing some. There was a huge BC digital sale in August or September with lots of goodness on it.

I really hope perpetual BC remains a thing. Sony will probably copy it, (and oh boy the backlash if they don't....), but it's really a great, if not the greatest, feature. One giant library of 2 decades of games on one box is just amazing.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Delibheel No, Skyrim is incompatible. Bethesda never bothered since they were making the enhanced version for the X1. Morrowind and Oblivion are ok though, so you can get the whole post-Daggerfall TES collection on one machine at least. Morrowind has aged very badly though.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Dezzy What's wrong with Xbox 360 graphics? Nothing, if you ask me. A lot of games can still look and play pretty damn good, and playing them on the Xbox One/One X makes the experience even better, as you've now found out.

But don't stop there: you should buy OG Xbox game Black as well. No, seriously, ask @NEStalgia...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX @Dezzy Just nod and walk back slowly without any sudden movements...just say you bought Black....it's better that way.... he'll leave you alone. Seriously though, it's a neat kid of retro shooter if you like the Golden Eye type experience. Thanos is pretty big into it. For me, it's not a must have, but it's a fun, well put together trip to what seems like a dead subgenre of shooters.

360 graphics....honestly they're kind of hit or miss depending on the game. That era had a lot of volatility. Fable 1 is remastered and looks great, Fable 2 looks really blurry, they were into those bloom shaders at the time....they looked bad at the time, and they look really obsolete now. Fable 3 looks excellent. Brutal Legend looks rough.... Dragon Age 1 & 2....ok, lets face it they looked bad even on PC at launch.... BG&E looks great. It really depends on the game and how abusive they were with bloom.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@ThanosReXXX

Yeah there are plenty that still look incredible. FF13-2 could easily be a current gen game.

Obviously on average they're a bit worse looking though.

Edited on by Dezzy

redd214

3 months of Gold + Free $10 credit for $22 on Newegg with code EMCEREE57!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832011521&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction--na--na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=11552995&PID=7058984&SID=

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Sorry, couldn't help myself. Glad you're enjoying Blue Dragon, though. Or, if you haven't played it yet, glad you bought it. If you're an RPG fan, then this game borders pretty close on being a must-have, if it isn't already...

And true, Xbox 360 graphics can vary, but on average, most of the games still hold up good enough, in my opinion. And there's even some that still look pretty good, and on which they did a pretty good job with the emulation and graphics on the Xbox One.

@dezzy Was only half serious, although all joking aside, I'm kinda sensitive to the whole "last gen games look like crap" ideology. Not saying that you're one of these whiners, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say. Sometimes, it feels like I'm just about the only person that is able to see these games in the right frame of reference, and has no desire to diminish their worth or entertainment value by comparing them to shiny, new 4K games, because that battle is already lost even before it has begun...

@ReaderRagfish Yup, it was, @DarthNocturnal beat me to it...
The Xbox version looked better, though, and the current version available for Xbox One is based upon the already slightly improved Xbox 360 conversion, a console for which it was also made available through backwards compatibility, and it is now 4x upscaled on Xbox One S and 8x on Xbox One X, and it still looks pretty damn good, and is a really entertaining game, in my opinion, although I do have to agree with @NEStalgia, that some of the gameplay, and perhaps even the controls, feel a bit old-fashioned.

But then again: it's an original Xbox game, so that isn't really all that strange. I just see it as a more arcade-like fps, if you compare it to the COD's and Battlefields of this world.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I haven't tried it out yet, though I do intend to take a look at the intro. I try to limit myself to 2 RPGs going at a time, so, naturally I currently have Nier: Automata, FFXIII, World of FF, and Elder Scrolls: Online simultaneously running, with Let's Go Pikachu soon Poor Octopath got pushed aside. And what am I playing? Smash. (Seriously, I'm not really a Smash fan, but Ultimate is so darned fun! I did not expect this addiction from it. )

Regarding last gen games, some of it comes from where you come from in games, too. For me, personally, I was PC-only at the start of 7th gen, so when I decided to step away from that and move to console, I was, even during the gen, knowing I was accepting a huge step down in graphics from what I was already used to. 8th gen finally brought me back to where I already had been at the start of 7th gen, graphically, and 8.5 gen finally pulled ahead of where my PC had been back then...so revisiting sketchy 7th gen graphics when both prior and after I had better is often jarring. Imagine if you already had an X1S 10 years ago, got an X1X now, and then looked at Fable 2 in between..... But it does depend on the game. Some look great with some 1X up-scaling. Some still look like early '00's PC games.

I'm just grateful for the full X1X remasters of Jade Empire and SW:KotR that look way better than the PC editions <3

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Yeah, I hear you. I fully agree with limiting the number of RPG's at any one time, seeing as it could potentially make an incomprehensible mess of the various story lines, or it simply takes away from the immersion of the titles you're already fully engrossed in.

As for "it coming from where you come from", I can never completely get on board with that, so I'll only ever partially agree. In a very black and white setting, that would theoretically mean that someone could never play and/or enjoy ANY old games, from before whatever platform/generation he or she first got acquainted with games.

That is also exactly what I meant with seeing things in the right frame of reference. You can't compare a NES game with a GameCube or Dreamcast game, and you can't compare an Xbox 360 game with an Xbox One or PS4 game. That's not fair to the game, and it obstructs the person playing it from appreciating the game for what it is, and that is not, nor will it ever be, a brand new (semi-)4K experience.

But that isn't necessarily a bad thing, nor is it a must in order to be able to enjoy any one of those games.
And sure, there's a considerable amount of games on any one platform, that hasn't really aged all that well, or at all, but for their time these games looked more than fine, and some still do, especially considering the platforms they originally ran on.

As a gamer and a factual person, I can always appreciate and enjoy that, simply by not blocking my own view of reality by putting on or watching things exclusively through present day goggles...

I know that this is either hard or impossible to do for some (or probably most), but for me it's only logical to do so, for the aforementioned reasons. And that is also the only thing that makes sense to me. I first stepped into console land with the purchase of an N64, and I can still to this day enjoy these games, albeit now in 480p on my Wii's USB Loader...

I recognize that the graphics have massively aged, but the games are still fun to play, so I don't really mind the crude 3D graphics. Punch through that (and the sometimes clunky camera), and there's still plenty of enjoyable gameplay moments to be found...

As for PC being better than consoles: well, not always. I still vividly remember the first batch of Xbox 360 to PC games, and although a lot of PC Master race people were claiming that the games were downgraded on purpose, they simply looked better on the original platform. Could of course also have had something to do with going from PPC to normal PC architecture, but still...

And I don't know what they're doing exactly, with the Xbox One X, but some of these old games go through some kind of magical rainbow tunnel, and come out looking almost better than should have even been possible, and on hardware that is only marginally better than a mid-range gaming PC.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX It's different from not being able to enjoy older games. Enjoying games that were the state of their art at the time, after the fact is one thing. But the thing with 7th gen games is the same games, mostly were just reduction ports of PC games, and the console version was very stripped down from the actual way the game was meant to be played. Take Oblivion for example. I played on PC. Upgraded my rig just for that game. The foliage needed to be maxed (I have a thing for foliage ) Then take a look at the same game on PS3 and X360..... it's hardly the same game, visually. It's tremendously cut down. Meanwhile the visual and immersive landscapes were becoming the center focus of the reason to experience a particular gameworld. It has more to do with that specific period of time, where consoles didn't have the quantity of unique console games they did in prior gens and instead were becoming machines to play PC games in a vastly inferior way. You can go back and play Luigi's Mansion and enjoy how good it was. But it's harder to go back and play the 360 version of Oblivion knowing that wasn't the best the release had to offer, it was the stripped down version. Like playing Splinter Cell on a 3DS. Flash forward to the X1 and especially X1X and Oblivion looks as good as, or better than the PC version did back in the day. It's enjoyable to play again in a way that on the PS3 and 360 it wasn't. Not because it needs great graphics to be fun but because that's the graphics it was actually meant to have and designed to be played with at the start, but on the console platforms had to be stripped down to minimum. It's mostly a 7th gen problem. 6th gen had a lot more unique games (though XBox itself was intended to be a PC crossover at the start so it suffers from that more than GCN/PS2.) Where prior gens the "old" graphics represented a game designed to be played with that particular aesthetic, 7th gen games by and larger were designed to be played with PC aesthetics, and delivered a cut down version for console gamers. Only with 8th gen did consoles catch up to not need that level of problematic limitation compared to the enhancements available on PC. MS was too eager to push the vision of PC gaming on a console before the hardware really was ready, and PS was too busy in freefall from their disastrous PS3 launch to amass their traditional catalog, and thus took the quick route of "copy MS!" I like to think of 7th gen as "a collection of games that were waiting for 8th gen to be played"

I don't see that problem existing with 8th gen. Yes most of the games can run prettier/smoother on PC, but especially with Pro/X, it just plays like a PC game with a mid-range card and some graphics settings disabled rather than the 7th gen issue where it often was a very stripped down experience from the original intent. And 7th gen (XBox being kind of an outlier, but it was a short lived console as well) having more "unique console games."

It's not a "present day goggles" thing so much as coming from the same games or types of games on PC, knowing what they were supposed to look like, then experiencing less. Games like FarCry3 were not meant with 360 graphics in mind....but FarCry3 through FarCry 5 feel perfectly "as intended" on X1.

But I do think that anyone who moved up only through consoles without a PC detour will see it as a progression rather than a regression in the 7th gen. Round N64 time, PC and console really diverged in two different paths. 7th gen tried to merge them, and did it prematurely and thus badly. 8th gen finally got it right.

Ahh, yeah I was PC Master Race during that 360 era....and that's part of what killed the PC experience for me for good There was another issue at the time. nVidia wet the bed. They went all in making the OG XBox GPUs and missed a generation in PC. They came back in with those ill fated FX series leaf blower cards for obscene sums of money and it created a mess for a long time. PC gamers learned to curse the name XBox for doing that to us, though it was really nVidia's blunder. Oddly that was mostly 3rd party issues. Jade Empire, Mass Effect 1, Deus Ex Invisible War ported nicely (IW was a problem though because designing for OG XBox killed the level design the PC game should have had....) Of course XBox gets screwed by Deus Ex now......I never win whichever team I'm on

But I do agree with the "magical rainbow tunnel" of the X1X! Not all the games come out looking great, some are just salvageable with low res textures or polys), but yeah, so many of them come out looking amazing. As good or better than a high-end PC from the time they were released (Oblivion is a full 1X enhanced game but it blows me away that my $2k rig had worse AA and half the frame rate of the 1X ) same for Assassin's Creed 1. And Mirrors Edge looks almost identical to Mirror's Edge: Catalyst, the actual X1/PS4 sequel.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

ThanosReXXX wrote:

@dezzy Was only half serious, although all joking aside, I'm kinda sensitive to the whole "last gen games look like crap" ideology.

Lol ideology. I name it Generationalism

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal Oh cool, I really wanted to play FIFA '15.....but I figured I should play them in order, so I'll have to start with FIFA '91 first.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic