Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 6,061 to 6,080 of 11,914

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Oh, hell no, not going to step into another foliage discussion with you. I've already made a mental note of that after our Forza Horizon 4 debate...

Coming from PC, especially high-end machines, I can understand the sentiment, but most whiners that
I see online, complain about going from console to console, and the previous generation of them suddenly having become completely useless and/or irrelevant once the shiny new toy has arrived.

Games they loved and played, and considered to be looking just fine or good, are now all of a sudden ugly, non-4K, non-HDR, un-anti-aliased and whatever other flashy catch phrase they can come up with, and personally, I can't even find words nor express myself in ways that make it comprehensible for an outsider how annoyed
I am by this and how sick and tired I am of this kind of behavior.

It's the epitomy of the disposable society we're currently living in, and they let these companies lead them into it like a bunch of mindless sheep, without ever wondering what the actual downsides are. Much like with the whole digital and in the cloud only thing, that is looming in the not too distant future, which might very well mean the end of my gaming hobby, or at least the end of me buying any new consoles, if I can't find a way to once again gain control over what I buy and how I would like to use/store that for future reference.

@DarthNocturnal Um.... because Black is WAY more fun than any of those titles, or even all of them combined?

@Dezzy Hm... generationalism to me would imply that this happens with every generation of consoles.
To an extent, it does, but it has never been worse or more vile than it is now. I never experienced having this much of a feeling of disgust for people like that. Must of course also have to do with the rise of the internet, because back in the day, when all people either had a SNES or a Megadrive/Genesis, there were of course also plenty of fanboy battles in the school yard or elsewhere, but still...

The reason why I call it an ideology, is because it is an ever-growing, zombie-like behavior, that's simply echoed by everyone, regardless of whether or not they've actually taken the effort to form their own opinion on it, because you're supposed to think about older stuff in a certain way, so you can't go and have a different mind set, lest you find yourself stuck in the dark corner with the other non-popular kids...

The current situation is, in my honest opinion, also far more disposable one. A lot of these hive-minded individuals have no idea who they are or what they want to become, other than thinking that all of them can become filthy rich off of YouTube, and can become an influencer, and they have little to no sense or respect towards what has come before.

And that's both in general as well as in matters concerning consoles. Oh, well... guess I'm not going to change the world for the better any time soon, so I'd better just take another sedative, and calm myself the f*** down, before
I veer even more off-topic than usual...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX LOL, at least I'm only on about foliage. Back in the PC golden age it was all about the water!

Yeah, my view is looking at it of the huge downgrade from the same games on PC to the same gen consoles in the 7th gen specifically (the same doesn't hold true in 8th gen. It's a visual/performance downgrade, but in line with high end vs. low end PC rather than PC versus well below any PC spec where consoles were back then.

But yeah, I do agree with you about the whiners about not wanting to go back to prior consoles. Though I suspect that thinking comes primarily from the Team Blue camp where the company decided you're not supposed to like prior gen games (because our hardware can't run them....) Team Green has built it's image on the whole idea of playing old games, and Team Red seems intent to refuse to let anyone play old games even while they scream and beg in number to do so.

And, of course, on the 1X, even those old games are anti-aliased with supersampling

And I agree about the disposability. Especially in gaming where the old games go away and are replaced continuously with the new ones in a neverending cycle. It's just weird how that evolved to me. And it's new. Old school gamers are the ones yelling at Reggie to give us SNES and N64 games. And the ones upset that the PS classic is a joke because they wanted those old games again. Back in the day I had my NES and SNES right next to each other and played them interchangeably, though admittedly the SNES games were much more "special" to play at the time. So "early gamers" definitely don't suffer from that....in reality, it's the universal problem that plagues all things on Earth:

Millennials.

sits on rocking chair

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Ah, yes.... the 'realistic water' discussions. Thanks for reminding me of those...

Missed most of those, luckily, but of course, with having an N64, I often found myself in (online) discussions about how all the various PSX Jet Ski games stacked up against the invincible Wave Race 64. Of course, none could compete, and even if some might, in some artistic/aesthetic way, approach a better look for the aquatic environment, none surpassed or even closely matched the feel of the for the time ridiculously accurate water physics of Wave Race 64.

And of course, to me, the physics mattered WAY more. After all: why make it a water based racer if you can't capture the essence of how that's supposed to feel and respond to your steering efforts?

As for team Red: I'd argue that they actually did choose the right path, initially, but then they wrongfully decided that THEY will direct which previous gen games the retro lovers can play, instead of just going the Microsoft way and giving us a variety of 10 titles or more from all previous platforms every other month, to choose from ourselves. Some of us just want to play SNES, N64 and GameCube games. Enough with the NES-only offerings already, Nintendo, for cryin' out loud...

Nice to see we're largely in agreement for once. A rarity, in my opinion, when in online discussions...
Don't know what the deal is with Millenials, but there's always been the older generation calling the younger ones 'good for nothing' whatevers (I mean: there was generation X, generation zero, and neither of these were considered to be any good either), so that hasn't really changed, but this generation truly IS different, and I don't know if it's just because of the faster world and the internet, or if there are other factors in play here.

We should bring @rjejr into this part of the discussion. That is, if he still maintains the whole broody 'now get off my lawn' attitude. He might have something even more acidic to say about it than us...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Eel

The GameCube reached the peak of realistic water in games.

There's nowhere to go after that.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Banjo-

I haven't been online during the last days. Mega Man Legacy Collection has received a rewind feature on Xbox One FINALLY. This was a feature only present on Switch until now. @subpopz Time for me to try these "impossible" NES games that I have never played.

Banjo-

Banjo-

@subpopz Mega Man 1 of course! It's the controls and physics what I find challenging but I will be able to beat it now. I also played the Mega Man 11 demo and I liked it. What are your favourite Mega Man games?

Banjo-

Banjo-

@subpopz It's good to know that. I just beat a boss in Mega Man (1). After I beat the game I'll play the second.

Banjo-

ThanosReXXX

@Delibheel Indeed. Wave Race Blue Storm is a game that I still play every now and then. Too bad that they have never made a new game in this series on the Wii or Wii U, or even an HD reboot. They just went from strength to strength with that IP, but apparently, it just didn't sell enough for the series to return in this day and age, much like with F-Zero and 1080 Snowboarding, two other fan favorites with great controls and physics.

@ReaderRagfish True, and the physics were off as well. Wave Race 64 was king, back then.

Oh, and being tempted to go somewhere tropical? That's what summer holidays are for...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish For me it was exactly the other way around: I really liked SSX (and all of its sequels), but those games were REALLY over the top, whereas 1080 stayed more true to the actual experience of snowboarding, even though that did also have some over the top levels, but not as much as SSX, and of course, in real snowboarding, there's no 'turbo gauge' or gaining speed by doing tricks.

Don't get me wrong: it's definitely fun to play, but in my opinion, the more pure experience is the better one.

That is also what I liked about Wave Race. And like with Wave Race, the elements physics and feel in 1080 was, and in some ways still is, second to none. I own a lot of snowboarding games, including all the SSX games, the Shaun White games, Amped and so on, but I still prefer 1080, and although it'll probably never happen, but if they would ever make a new game in that series (and Wave Race AND F-Zero), then I'm going to be jumping for joy, like a little kid on Christmas Eve...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@ReaderRagfish Hm, that's not how I felt. I always likened the spinning the control stick to flailing your arms to stay balanced, so it made perfect sense to me, even though it was somewhat of an odd and/or annoying inclusion. Then again; simply pressing a button to get up again also isn't really very representative of the real thing...

And that meter in 1080 was more of an adrenaline bar to me, also more close to reality, but most of these actions were probably also a bit limited due to them having to work with the available controls. We didn't have motion controls yet, back then. Probably for the better, though, otherwise it would have been a decidedly lesser snowboard game....

And of course, 1080 was never about being an over the top game, even though they did a couple of levels in each game that were more out there, but still no wonder that SSX did over the top better.

But regardless, both series are fun to play, but for those looking for a more true experience, they'd probably need to steer clear from any of the SSX games, save perhaps for the last one on previous gen consoles, which was a better mix of arcade and realism, in my opinion.

NEStalgia

Panzer Dragoon Orta is half price in the current sale fyi!

@BlueOcean Oh that's cool.....such a shame that's not in the MegaMan X collection, though it does have rookie mode.

@ThanosReXXX Oh it had great water physics, but the real test is the transparency, occlusion, and specularity! Sheesh, everyone knows that!

"How's the water" is up there next to "does it run Crysis?"

Yeah Nintendo's really gone in that Apple-like direction of "We'll tell you what you should like right now. The official game to like for this month is: abcxyz" Though I suppose that fits the Japanese way very well where everybody does the same thing, the same way, at the same time, as a norm.

We agree more times than not. We have our points of disagreement, and we're both stubborn, but >50% of the time we agree

I agree. I think the fundamentals of the world changed too significantly. Yes it's "faster" and "the internet" but the underpinnings entirely changed. The economic underpinnings, the definitions of normal, family, purpose in life, etc. They essentially are foreign invaders that grew up in an entirely different civilization and culture than the one(s) the older generations grew up with. The very fact that an overwhelming majority of them grew up raised by a mixture of for-profit daycare companies and government institutions rather than attentive parents, while parents both dedicate their lives to The Company has engineered them to have specific ways of thinking directed toward specific socially engineered outcomes. That happens to a point every generation that things were different, but it's at a gradual pace until this time, and never in the past was the underpinning of family itself replaced with institutions before. The ugly reality is it's a generation that would have more in common with 1950's children in the USSR than any of us, but with the ugly bent of internet generated narcissism atop it.

Though at times I still wonder if there's even more than that to it. In either case we, and our values seem more and more to be deemed obsolete and irrelevant, so I suppose we'll either be cared for as pets, or simply executed as useless eaters at some point. Better get that backlog in before it's too late!

@rjejr should be grumpy enough to join in. He's still struggling to make sense of the world in a post-FF PS exclusivity world.

NEStalgia

TuVictus

Lol this thread is fun to read

TuVictus

rjejr

@NEStalgia Men on the moon, FF on the Xbox, 'tis no world at all for grumpy old drunkies.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

rjejr

@ThanosReXXX Oops sorry, meant to reply to you just above for my daily dose of acidity.

My world has come full circle. 30 years ago me and my droogies were dressing up like Alex and Georgie Boy for a little of the old moloko plus and ultraviolence, now I'm a drunkie in an alley. Well actually I never leave my house for fear of becoming a drunkie in an a alley. Videogames used to be my escape, but now even they fail to cheer me up. I'm gonna skip this discussion then, whatever it is, I don't even own an Xbox.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

NEStalgia

@ReaderRagfish You don't enter Thanos' XBox conversations and not buy an XBox 1. it's not possible. It's not allowed. He'll get to you eventually. There's no escape. You'll get an XBox 1. Even if you have to win one from Oprah.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

I also love 1080° and Wave Race, specifically Wave Race Blue Storm and 1080° Snowboarding that I still play. Blue Storm was my first GameCube game and it's one of the best GameCube games. It was a launch game in here.

@NEStalgia Capcom took their time to update it buy it's finally here. What is Rookie Mode? I grabbed Panzer Dragoon Orta as soon as I saw the sale (on Tuesday) but wasn't around to comment. You guys can get the deal from now through Monday.

@DarthNocturnal Do you want to play Sea of Thieves with me? Who else plays?

Banjo-

Banjo-

@ReaderRagfish Are you the Caucasian guy chewing cereals in your old profile picture or the Oriental in the current one or neither?

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean rookie mode is basically just "very easy mode". Id rather have rewind, personally since you can try it the way it's meant to be and just retry when you fail. I love that about Forza.

@ReaderRagfish oh heck no, a ALMOST got that chewing image burned out of my mind and now its back!

NEStalgia

BrainOfGrimlock

Did any of you own a Saturn? Only asking because when talking snowboarding the Saturn had a game I LOVED called Steep Slope Sliders (yep, absolutely terrible name) and you’ve given me all lovely nostalgia reminiscing!

Reviews for it are surprisingly not terrible with that review even preferring it to Cool Boarders 2 which was pretty loved at the time?

Apparently the devs made a follow up on PS later which also had a terrible name - Trick’N Snowboarder - which google suggests was terrible.

BrainOfGrimlock

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic