Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 441 to 460 of 1,675

TuVictus

@NEStalgia The concept* of the game had 10 years, but the game we got certainly did not.

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@PikPi It started development in 2006 and was meant for PS3. Maybe they scrapped it in that time and restarted. Diablo IV has been scrapped at least 3 times according to reports. Diablo III was scrapped once. But still, they've been trying to get a game in a box for 10 years (12 including current date prior to the last DLC.) I mean even Kojima can box a complete game in that time....

NEStalgia

TuVictus

@NEStalgia Oh it was scrapped a few times, I believe. They had to start from scratch when they changed engines and directors, if I remember right

TuVictus

NEStalgia

They really should have been more discerning when they let that Amijok Oedih pick up production......even if he told them he was a successful industry veteran.....

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

The 4chan leaks that predicted the entire game's plot with 99% accuracy said that the game was only really in development for 3-4 years.
Most of the stuff before that except for the main character designs just got thrown out.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

@Dezzy That's just sad. 6 years of wasted work to sell 4 years of actual work...... Losing 60% of your productive output can't be good for the bottom line.....

What I find interesting is the western games. Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Just Cause, etc. seem to be produced effectively. The tiny teams in S-E seem effective enough. I just can't imagine what they're trying to do with FF that makes the development so catastrophic. Even if they were trying to make "the next RDR2", they spent more money over more time and failed miserably. FF output seems worse than the western teams working on arguably more complex games.

And none of this even touches the almost quiet launch of DQXI, and the "adult reasons" it'll take them 20 years to port it to Switch. They treated DQ like a minor release, then spammed every ad channel with Tomb Raider which still didn't meet their unrealistic expectations.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

I doubt they lost 60% of their output. It seems unlikely that it was a full 300 person team working on it for those first 6 years. Probably a smaller team while it was in the conceptual stage. Pre-production or whatever they call it.
We certainly didn't see 6 years of work before it became 15, assuming it was a full team. We saw maybe 2 years of work.

The one good thing I'm feeling about Episode Ardyn is that will bring the story full circle back to where it started with Kingsglaive. I hope it sells so well that they change their mind and do Episode Luna. Just an episode Luna set in Tenebrae. That's all I need for this game to feel complete.

Edited on by Dezzy

NEStalgia

@Dezzy True. I'm still bitter. Whenever I do play it I'm going to feel the same way I feel about MGSV: It's a good half a game that was never finished.

It's like watching Firefly. All 13 glorious episodes of potential.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

Firefly is a very good analogy actually. It's a similar feeling to that. The only difference is that the main story in FFXV does largely conclude itself satisfactorily. I was very happy with how they tied the main story together by the end. Whereas Firefly just randomly finished mid-series with almost no sense of closure.

The main story has largely been complete since the end of the first season pass of DLC though (Dec 2017).

Dezzy

Snaplocket wrote:

@Dezzy No it really doesn't at all.

What are you saying this in response to?

Dezzy

Well you can't really deny that it finishes the story arc of all of the main characters. Whether you like that ending or not is more of a subjective judgement. But it does clearly finish the story.

NEStalgia

Question for all you guys who have played XIV Online. For a modern MMO the pricing seems exorbitant monthly...not really a fan of the old single game subscription model (not a fan of F2P micro-transactions either.) But....it's on sale 50% off on PS4 for the complete package (minus the 2019 add-on.) Is it worth it for soloing/2p co-oping as an MMO or is it more "bad old MMO" format? And does it "feel FF?"

I just got into TES:O and am shocked that it doesn't feel very MMO at all, so I was considering (maybe not at the same time...2 MMOs plus a backlog wouldn't be fun....) XIV as well. It's been a good 15+ years since I tried an MMO....if that one is anything to go buy they don't feel very MMO anymore.

NEStalgia

TuVictus

It definitely feels FF but there's no way you'll make any significant progress if you don't like partying with randoms or have plenty of free time for some of those group dungeons/bosses.

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@PikPi Eh, if it really enforces rando parties or damage sponge bosses, then it's probably not for me. Shame, it looked pretty interesting otherwise, but I'm not into rando parties.

TES:O surprised me because with 1 or 2 players it still feels like plain old TES, and plays mostly the same....you can ignore group dungeons and such. I figured XIV may have been similar as a "modern" MMO.

NEStalgia

TuVictus

@NEStalgia Oh yeah, the game gets very strict in regards to bosses later on, everyone must do their role of the party wipes. Definitely doesn't seem like you're kind of game.

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@PikPi Nope, definitely not. Eww. TESO remains my MMO then.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

Lol I have no desire to play MMOs with random strangers AND I don't know anyone who really likes the same games as me. All of my gamer friends are just dudebros who play FIFA and Call of Duty. And buy them both every year for some reason I can't fathom.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic