Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 461 to 480 of 1,675

TuVictus

Cautiously optimistic for it

TuVictus

NEStalgia

It's a Square-Enix remake of a time honored classic and all we've seen so far (which is little) gives me the feeling they lost the vibe of the game (much like a lot of their recent development lost the vibe of what made FF great.) I'm cautiously pessimistic, but with a window to be surprised.

Though I'm more optimistic on it than Kojimas star studded naked butt guy game. Either S-E should be happy, or Kojima should be offended. Or both.

Poor WoFF doesn't get the love it deserves. It's weird. Its systems are arguably broken....but it's really cool otherwise

NEStalgia

Dezzy

Better than cautious pessimism.

I'm fairly optimistic about it. As I've probably mentioned before in this thread, I think the only thing Square have really deteriorated at over the years is storytelling. I think they're still one of the best in the business for world design, character design, gameplay mechanics, music, etc etc.
Well that bodes well for the remake because the story is the one thing that they can't change that much and is pretty much set already. If they did change it too much, they know they'd risk the fans hating it. They'll add more detail and more subplots but they won't change the core story points I don't think.

So the things they'll really be spending most time on will be the world design, the battle system, the character design, the special effects and cutscenes (including summons).
All of that stuff I think they're quite good at.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Dezzy

The FFXIV crossover and final Comrades updates have just been released.

Looks like there's some cool stuff in these we hadn't previously known about. The FFXIV crossover gives you another summon for the main game if you complete it (very cool).

The Comrades update includes even more bosses we didn't know about. Including Ardyn and apparently Ravus? Not sure how they'll explain Ravus being in it.
Here are the launch trailers:

NEStalgia

I can't believe FFXIV is still successful with a business model of both retail sales and $15/mo in an era of free MMOs. I really want to try it...I did buy the initial purchase for $15 on the last sale just in case....but can't get myself to spend $30 on a 2-mo card just to force myself to dedicate to the game like it's Everquest in the 90's. I'm not an F2P fan, really, but $15/mo seems awfully pricy for this type of game in this day and age.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@NEStalgia

I think it's the fact that they spend a lot of resources keeping it fresh with constant updates, combined with the fact that the series just has a very devoted following that other series can't really match.
A lot of people, including myself, have a borderline religious allegiance to this series.

Dezzy

Ok so it turns out the FFXV Royal Edition is actually just the original game disc but with download codes for all the extra content.

I can't believe I didn't know that. I stupidly bought a used copy. Which of course means the download codes were used. Meaning I just bought the original game disc, which I already had. Bloody marvelous. Thanks Square for your lazy money-grabbing policies. I really don't think you should be able to describe something on the box if it's contained within a 1-time download code.

Edited on by Dezzy

Dezzy

@DarthNocturnal

It's definitely not industry standard. Dark Souls 3 GOTY was on disc. Bloodbore GOTY was on disc. Witcher 3 GOTY was on disc. RE7 Gold Edition was on disc. Shadow of Mordor GOTY was on disc.

TuVictus

Something similar occurred to me with Destiny. Had the launch disc and a couple years later they were selling the pack with all the DLC. I bought it thinking it had all the DLC on disc but it was just the launch disc with code inserts.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Dezzy

@DarthNocturnal

I've only ever had it happen once before this, so I just assumed if it's a new retail version, there's something new on the disc.

It's a bit like microtransactions. I don't know how much of a problem they are because I just so happen to completely avoid the types of games that have them.

darkfenrir

Any of you guys picking up "Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy!"?

At first I wasn't too interested, but as time get closer to its release, I feel like I'm gonna be playing it... xD

darkfenrir

Anti-Matter

darkfenrir wrote:

Any of you guys picking up "Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy!"?

At first I wasn't too interested, but as time get closer to its release, I feel like I'm gonna be playing it... xD

Yes, of course.
But, i'm a little bit worried for No Official cover box from SquareEnix i can find on Google images so far.
It might be delayed like World of Final Fantasy Maxima case.

Anti-Matter

darkfenrir

@Anti-Matter Latest news it'll be 20 March 2019 for the Japan's release... so shouldn't be too long for the Western release. We'll see I guess

darkfenrir

Anti-Matter

@darkfenrir
I'm afraid if Chocobo Mystery Dungeon Every Buddy will be Digital download only like FF XV pocket edition.
And FF VII & IX will be likely Digital download too.
But, if SquareEnix can consider World of Final Fantasy Maxima Switch version in physical release on February 2019, those games should be treated equally.

Anti-Matter

darkfenrir

@Anti-Matter Well FF7 and 9 I have no doubt it'll be digital only... they aren't true remaster and they are priced accordingly, so no reason to have physical of them imo.

Eh if there's no physical then I guess I'm skipping though, all the money in my eshop is saved up for one game even though that game probably comes at 2020.

darkfenrir

Dezzy

@darkfenrir

Square Enix doesn't know what "priced accordingly" means!

darkfenrir

@Dezzy wait, how much is the remaster of those 2 again? I thought they'll be 10-20$ o.o)

~~guess I'll cross my fingers on the chocobo then~~

darkfenrir

TuVictus

Definitely gonna get it once it's out since I never played the wii version, but I really hope we don't need to wait too long for the crystal chronicles remaster

TuVictus

Ralizah

I really can't wait for The Zodiac Age on Switch. Final Fantasy XII reminds me a lot of Xenoblade Chronicles, but without a lot of the baffling and frustrating design choices often found in those games.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Anti-Matter

@Ralizah
Playing Bigger Final Fantasy games (that used to be on PS2) on Nintendo Switch in front of a lot of peoples is like my Biggest Rebellion ever. 😎
Like, FF XII on Nintendo Switch, What?! 😲

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic