Other Gaming Forum

Topic: Do third party games and developers really matter?

Showing 61 to 68 of 68

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

61. Posted:

unrandomsam wrote:

BinaryFragger wrote:

It's quite ignorant to claim that the majority of third-party games are "plain awful." Some of the best games on the 3DS are third-party:

Bit.Trip Saga
Bravely Default
Code of Princess
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Professor Layton
Project X Zone
Resident Evil: Revelations
Rune Factory 4
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

If you really believe that they'res no variety, you need to play more games. Not every game out there is a Call of Duty clone.

Bit.Trip Saga - Poor inferior port
Bravely Default - Ruined by pay to win - rubbish story - it is like when 3rd parties try to copy Nintendo when compared with e.g Chrono Trigger / Dragon Quest V / Final Fantasy VI
Code of Princess - Looks interesting but I won't be getting it until the EU gets the same discount the US gets all the time
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - If you want to play an MMO play one.
Professor Layton - If you like it you like it (Not for me I have played Miracle Mask).
Project X Zone - Mediocre probably just about worth it at its current 25% of RRP cost for the real cart
Resident Evil: Revelations - Better version exists
Rune Factory 4 - I would have bought it if it came to the EU just because it is somewhat different.
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - Anyone with any concience would boycott due to the complete contempt the DLC policies show for the customer.

You say there is loads of choice but there isn't.

My favourite DS games are Megaman ZX / ZX2 / Contra 4 / Commando : Steel Disaster (I only have the DSiware one) / Metal Slug 7 / Bangoi-O-Spirits / Ketsui Death Label / Nanostray 2 / Dragon Quest IV / Dragon Quest V / Dragon Quest VI / Radiant Historia / Warioware Touched! / Chrono Trigger / NSMB (the 3DS one is so watered down I still play the DS one more even though the way it upscales seriously annoys me).

The 3DS has nothing across - classic style JRPG's (Where if you are grinding you are doing it wrong and you need to do some subquests - good story without loads of cutscsnes.) / run n gun or vertical shmups. (There is that guild Rail shooter that I quite like rather use buttons though.)

The 3DS is great for the new style JRPG's (Not even sure it is that good for 2D Platformers due to the fact that basically all of them are 30fps).

I like how you apparently couldn't think of any snide remarks to make regarding SMTIV. The reasons you give for these being bad games are either excessively nit-picky or blatantly false (Bravely Default is NOT pay-to-win, even if I don't happen to like the microtransaction scheme that is put in place. I don't even know anyone who has felt the need to partake in it. Moreover, the story is perfectly acceptable for a JRPG styled after older games. Not everything can be FFVI).

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Artwark

62. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

ITT: a Nintendo fan only likes Nintendo games

What a rarity, I am shocked

I've played Castlevania, Cave Story and lots of third party games and I love Cave Story and Curse of Monkey Island as well as JazzJackrabbit2.

Again let me get this clarified. I didn't say that I hate these third party games and I only love Nintendo games. I said that its very risky to get third party games because after the big disappointment of Lost World, Its more of a risk than more of worth. With a Nintendo game, I'm sure I can get some fun experience regardless of the genre like Animal Crossing New Leaf. If I want third party games, I'd play them on PC.

I'm just starting Steam World Dig. Hope its fun.

Edited on by Artwark

my 3ds friend code is 1461-7634-1658

creativity is the insane possibility.

Twitter: Art_Wark

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kodeen

63. Posted:

Artwark wrote:

I said that its very risky to get third party games because after the big disappointment of Lost World, Its more of a risk than more of worth.

It wasn't that big of a risk, because Lost World had mediocre reviews across the board. Do your research before making purchases.

Edited on by Kodeen

Kodeen

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

64. Posted:

Most games turn out OK. Sega's Sonic games just have a habit of sucking. I wouldn't indict other third-party developers for Sega's apparent inability to make a good 3D Sonic game.

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Artwark

65. Posted:

Ralizah wrote:

Most games turn out OK. Sega's Sonic games just have a habit of sucking. I wouldn't indict other third-party developers for Sega's apparent inability to make a good 3D Sonic game.

True. Wonder if Wayforward can do it cause after playing off Shantae games and seeing how Contra 4 turned out, I'm pretty sure they can do the same here for Sonic.

But the biggest thing that worries me is why people are excited that Nintendo is planning to have third party devs to make Nintendo games? I don't want Konami to make a Mario game in future because the way Nintendo makes itself is fine and I fear that these devs that Nintendo makes games with won't turn out fine. Granted games like Lego City: Undercover really do work out fine but games like Metroid: Other M didn't turn out fine........

my 3ds friend code is 1461-7634-1658

creativity is the insane possibility.

Twitter: Art_Wark

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WiiULoveSquid

66. Posted:

First party, third party... Adopt Nintendo's new motto: We just need games.

WiiULoveSquid

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

67. Posted:

Artwark wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Most games turn out OK. Sega's Sonic games just have a habit of sucking. I wouldn't indict other third-party developers for Sega's apparent inability to make a good 3D Sonic game.

True. Wonder if Wayforward can do it cause after playing off Shantae games and seeing how Contra 4 turned out, I'm pretty sure they can do the same here for Sonic.

But the biggest thing that worries me is why people are excited that Nintendo is planning to have third party devs to make Nintendo games? I don't want Konami to make a Mario game in future because the way Nintendo makes itself is fine and I fear that these devs that Nintendo makes games with won't turn out fine. Granted games like Lego City: Undercover really do work out fine but games like Metroid: Other M didn't turn out fine........

Because it's worked out as far as good games go most of the time. Not all are huge critical successes, but Other M aside, I can't think of any games that Nintendo had other developers make that didn't turn out really well (DKC, Star Fox Assault, Lego City, Wonderful 101, F-Zero GX, etc. were all great games in my opinion)

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DualWielding

68. Posted:

unrandomsam wrote:

BinaryFragger wrote:

It's quite ignorant to claim that the majority of third-party games are "plain awful." Some of the best games on the 3DS are third-party:

Bit.Trip Saga
Bravely Default
Code of Princess
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Professor Layton
Project X Zone
Resident Evil: Revelations
Rune Factory 4
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

If you really believe that they'res no variety, you need to play more games. Not every game out there is a Call of Duty clone.

Bit.Trip Saga - Poor inferior port
Bravely Default - Ruined by pay to win - rubbish story - it is like when 3rd parties try to copy Nintendo when compared with e.g Chrono Trigger / Dragon Quest V / Final Fantasy VI
Code of Princess - Looks interesting but I won't be getting it until the EU gets the same discount the US gets all the time
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - If you want to play an MMO play one.
Professor Layton - If you like it you like it (Not for me I have played Miracle Mask).
Project X Zone - Mediocre probably just about worth it at its current 25% of RRP cost for the real cart
Resident Evil: Revelations - Better version exists
Rune Factory 4 - I would have bought it if it came to the EU just because it is somewhat different.
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - Anyone with any concience would boycott due to the complete contempt the DLC policies show for the customer.

You say there is loads of choice but there isn't.

My favourite DS games are Megaman ZX / ZX2 / Contra 4 / Commando : Steel Disaster (I only have the DSiware one) / Metal Slug 7 / Bangoi-O-Spirits / Ketsui Death Label / Nanostray 2 / Dragon Quest IV / Dragon Quest V / Dragon Quest VI / Radiant Historia / Warioware Touched! / Chrono Trigger / NSMB (the 3DS one is so watered down I still play the DS one more even though the way it upscales seriously annoys me).

The 3DS has nothing across - classic style JRPG's (Where if you are grinding you are doing it wrong and you need to do some subquests - good story without loads of cutscsnes.) / run n gun or vertical shmups. (There is that guild Rail shooter that I quite like rather use buttons though.)

The 3DS is great for the new style JRPG's (Not even sure it is that good for 2D Platformers due to the fact that basically all of them are 30fps).

So what do you have on

Kingdom Hearts 3D
Ace Attorney Dual Destinies
Senran Kagura Burst
Zero Escape VLR (not exclusive but still)

DualWielding