Forums

Topic: Why is my switch battery failing after 400 charges!?!

Posts 1 to 18 of 18

DannyBoi

My switch battery is failing after 400 charges. It says on Nintendo's website that it is supposed to last 800 charge cycles before losing 20% of its caoaciry. Are these batterues designed to fail Nintendo??

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

HobbitGamer

It could be a whole host of issues not even related to the battery, btw. Dirty power, unreliable charger or cord, lose connections any where between the wall and the charging loop. Any of those things can affect a battery. I doubt Nintendo (or any competent company) designed them to fail. Heck, it could even be a manufacturing batch issue. No two batteries are 100% identical.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

SwitchForce

We nor anyone one here can verify how many changes it was done with. Your best to contact Nintendo Support and talk to them about the battery issues.

SwitchForce

NintendoByNature

Can't say I've counted the amount of charges I've put my switch through. Nintendo will solve the issue, but you may have to pay for it. Just call them they're really helpful

NintendoByNature

Heavyarms55

@AlohaPizzaJack Planned obsolesce is absolutely a thing in the tech industry. Though in this guy's case it sounds much more likely that any of the reasons you stated are the cause. Planned obsolesce is usually designed to coincide with the release of a new product. You see this often with smartphones and PCs. And products in general are deliberately designed to last only slightly longer than their warranties. Companies realized that designing products that last for decades is bad for business. It's the reason my parents had the same refrigerator in the basement for 30 years but went through two "new" ones in the kitchen in that same time span while the old one kept on running just fine. (just looked like what it was, a late 70s machine, lol)

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

HobbitGamer

@Heavyarms55 Oh, for sure! I was talking about designing for quick failure. As in, the idea that it would be designed to fail in order to bring in repair profits.
Off-topic; Totally agree on mass market items being acceptable as inferior compared to old products. it’s the downfall of the ‘dispose and replace’ worldview. I’m replacing 20-year old relay switches on my truck for $5 each, and two coworkers have said “maybe you should buy a new truck”. Right, makes sense 🙄

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Heavyarms55

@AlohaPizzaJack Oh yeah, in that we agree. I don't think any company has really gone that far. Not yet anyway...

And yeah, society has definitely been warped toward dispose and replace trend. Companies don't like that you can still drive that 20 year old truck. They want it to fail so you buy a new one. The new one will be real comfortable, have all the latest trim and accessories and will all be obsolete in 5 years and falling apart worse than your previous vehicle was at 20.

DannyBoi

My battery also runs out at 5%. It suddenly brainstorm 5% to 1%.

Heavyarms55

@CrazyZelda79 Even Microsoft has outright admitted the 360 had serious design problems - though that admit came years later. It is the reason the 360 got a total redesign.

DannyBoi

The charging indicator that appears in the top ledt of the screen whenits charging in the dock shows that it is still charging at 100%, which it din.t use to.

ThanosReXXX

@CrazyZelda79 Really? Of course, there was the whole RROD thing, but what you experienced, sounds like an extreme stroke of bad luck if ever I saw one...

I also had the RROD myself, on my Xbox 360, but I had mine after about at least a half year (don't know exactly anymore, but at least after quite a few months). Fortunately, I also had a one year warranty bundle from the retailer that I bought it from, so it got sent back to Microsoft for a cost-free repair.

I got it back within the space of 10 days, and it has been working like a charm ever since, and I'm still using it regularly, even though I also have an Xbox One.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

rallydefault

I had a launch console of the 360 and didn't get the RROD until seriously 3 years in or something like that. I was shocked when it finally happened because it had been a thing of the past at that point lol

Anyway, OP, sorry about your Switch. I don't know how many times I've charged my launch Switch, but everything about it is still like the day I took it out of the box. Tech is funny. Some people seem to luck out, others seem to have no end of problems.

rallydefault

ThanosReXXX

@CrazyZelda79 Never tried the "wrap 'em in a towel" trick?
But yeah, the "brilliant" mind that figured that it would be a good idea to connect an essential chip to the Xbox 360's PCB with solder that could melt when the console started to overheat slightly should probably never have received his diploma in PCB designing...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Joe-b

Do they sell batteries separately?

Joe-b

Anti-Matter

@CrazyZelda79
"So i was pretty much playing my Xbox 360 for 10 to 15 hours a day which is why they overheated, that and bad design."

I still afraid to hear RROD on Jasper model Xbox 360.
Do they still have lesser risk of RROD if i play them less than 3 hours in a day ?

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@CrazyZelda79
I still confused to choose between Jasper Model and Slim model since they have different merits.

Jasper model has internal HDD, nice looking design machine, White color also available but has a risk of RROD.

Slim model has weird machine design, White color avalable, it comes in 4GB memory stick but has lesser risk of RROD.

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter If you keep the Jasper model in horizontal position, you won't get RROD. The solder will melt when overheated, but it will only make the chip go loose/detach, if you have the Xbox in an upright/vertical position.

And just make sure that there's enough ventilation space in the room or around the console. And if you buy a refurbished console, the RROD problem will already have been taken care of, in most cases.

By the way: the slim model also has an option for an internal hard drive, so that shouldn't be a factor in your choice. Just ask about it in the shop where they sell them.

Here's one example:
https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250GB-HardDrive-Slim-Only/dp/...

@DannyBoi Have you already seen this article?
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/04/random_warren_specto...

Seems like there's more to this battery problem than most of us thought...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

• Page 1 of 1

Sorry, this topic has been locked.