Forums

Topic: The Switch games I finished in 2023

Posts 1 to 13 of 13

Harleq

I can't make a traditional "top ten of 2023" because I've only played two games released this year. Those two are bangers, though. Instead, I worked through my backlog as much as possible. This list is the result. Maybe it will inspire you to give an older title a try!

Tears of the Kingdom

I first played The Legend of Zelda on the NES back when it was released. It was, and remains, in my personal top 5 games of all time. It was a huge open world with no signposts to tell you where to go, with secrets and mysteries around every corner. There were so many ways you could make your way through it and no one had quite the same experience.

It felt impossible, and yet there it was.

The series was one of my favorites for a very long time. I bought and finished Zelda II, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Wind Waker...and then came Twilight Princess. I'll be honest: I don't remember what it was that made me stop playing it. I remember that the sense of wonder and discovery I always felt with these games just wasn't there. I dropped it and didn't touch another Zelda game afer that. It saddened me to fall out of love with one of my favorite series, but it's inevitable that we outgrow our childhood.

Breath of the Wild pulled me back in and transported me back to 1986. Once again I was enthralled with a world that let you go anywhere you wanted, where secrets were around every corner. It was magical. I played through it twice, taking a completely different route each time and marveling at how fresh it felt even after almost 200 hours.

It felt impossible, and yet there it was.

Tears of the Kingdom is everything I wanted out of a sequel, and more. I fell into it just as quickly as Breath of the Wild, stayed with it nearly as long, and enjoyed it every bit as much. I can recall dozens of moments from it that made me laugh, shake my head in wonder, or stare in open-mouthed awe: the first dive from the sky islands; the terror of exploring the depths for the first time; encountering the gloom hands; the battle against the wind temple boss; drawing the master sword; helping Addison put up signs for his boss; fighting Ganon for the last time; discovering the incredible variety of ways to fuse things together; attempting to solve puzzles in the most convoluted ways possible and seeing them actually work; finding out what a Zonai rocket did when attached to a shield; I could go on for hundreds more words.

It shouldn't be possible, and yet it exists. It's a monumental achievement.

Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights

This is a beautiful, haunting game. It tells a story of a desperate struggle against an implacable force, about corruption and purification, about the unintended consequences of well-meaning actions and the dangers of experimenting with things you don't understand and can't control. Underneath it all is the importance of keeping hope alive in the face of unrelenting despair and heartbreak.

It's a world where everyone has been corrupted by Blight, turned into horrific monsters. You, a young girl named Lily, are the only uncorrupted human around. A ghostly shade of a knight is your only protector at first, as you explore the blighted lands trying to find a way to escape. You can purify the blighted creatures, but doing so takes a terrible toll on you. Eventually, you will succumb to it if you can't find a way to cleanse it.

The creatures you purify become your allies, spirits that defend you against the creatures trying to kill you. Each of them gives you a small piece of the overall puzzle of what happened and why. Their stories are classic tragedies, futile tales of bravery and love.

I was enthralled with this game from beginning to end. Every location, every creature, every moment was drenched in pathos.

This wouldn't be enough to carry me through the game if it didn't control as smoothly as it did. Lily moves through the world gracefully by running, jumping, dashing, and swinging. Movement feels and looks great, animated beautifully and cleanly.

It has one of the best maps in these exploration games, showing you not only what paths you have opened but which ones are still unexplored, and marking rooms that you have found everything in. It made the backtracking that is a central part of this genre much easier. The only thing missing is a way to drop pins or notes on particular rooms to remind me of what movement abilities I needed to open up the unexplored routes.

Aside from this minor complaint, it's a near-perfect game.

I accidentally found an ending after only about 8 hours in. I had explored less than half of the map, but went right back to it. I didn't stop until I had experienced the other two endings. It's a special game and deserves every bit of praise it got and more.

Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Final Bar Line

I'm not usually someone who plays rhythm games, but I made an exception for this. I love the Final Fantasy series, even if I've only played I, IV, VI, VII, and IX. The series has consistently excellent music by some of the most talented composers working in gaming, so I felt comfortable getting this. At the very least, I would have the soundtracks to play whenever I wanted.

I put over 50 hours into it before completing all of the quests. Square created a compelling formula mixing rhythm and RPG elements that kept me coming back for just one more song. Experimenting with different party combinations, fine-tuning skill loadouts, and aiming for perfect chains on each song never got old.

While I'm not a huge fan of the Chibi art style, I see why they decided on it. The conceit is that you're watching the events play out in a theater, so presenting it using whimsical art makes sense. I would have loved to see an option for original sprites, or some pixel art version, but it's understandable why they couldn't or wouldn't put in the considerable amount of work that would require.

It's worth mentioning what a staggering number of tracks are here. the base game has hundreds, and the DLC add hundreds more from games across Square-Enix's library. Some of them are remixes or extended mixes of existing tracks, but there are very few duds. Square-Enix composers know what they're doing.

I still drop in from time to time to try a few of my favorite tracks, curate some playlists, or reminisce about some of my favorite moments from some of my favorite games.

Super Mario Odyssey

I waited a very long time to start this, and I wish I had done it sooner. It gave me some of the most enjoyment I've had this year. Every world had moments that brought smiles, chuckles, or outright laughter. It's pure Nintendo: highly polished, full of personality, and fun, fun, fun. Cappy is a brilliant thing to build the game around. Capturing your opponents and using them to get around never gets old, and is full of genuine surprises.

It's also remarkable how much design philosophy it shares with the newest Zelda games. While the worlds aren't as large and open as Hyrule, they have something new to see around nearly every corner. You're rewarded for your exploration and experimentation with more Power Moons or purple coins, as well as some of the most interesting and challenging puzzles in the game. You don't have the same kind of freedom to solve those puzzles as you do in Zelda, but that's doesn't matter. It's usually clear what you have to do. The difficulty is in the execution.

The game's overall difficulty isn't that high until the post-game, and that contains some fiendish challenges. I collected about 550 moons in total and made it to the darker side of the moon before dying about 20 times and putting it down. It's a ridiculous test of skill and I'll probably come back to it eventually, but for now I can set it aside and say without hesitation that it's one of the best games on the platform.

Steamworld Heist

I had started this a long time ago, gotten to a point where I simply couldn't figure out how to beat the Red Queen, and dropped it. I came back to it, lowered the difficulty, and finished it in two days. I'm glad I did, because the Steamworld games are immaculate.

Heist takes place decades (centuries?) after the events of Steamworld Dig 2, and there are plenty of callbacks and easter eggs in it. It has a cast of delightful characters who get into absurd situations and escape by the skin of their teeth. Like every Steamworld game, it's filled to the brim with personality, heart, and most importantly, fun.

As you move through the universe, raiding ships and research facilities, the levels are mostly procedurally generated. Rogue-likes are my favorite genre, and I'm always excited to see someone do something different with it. It works here, for the most part. You can replay missions for more experience and loot, and randomizing the ships adds some surprises to keep that from getting too boring or rote. However, there are several plot-critical missions that are bespoke, and the differences are stark. The hand-crafted levels are just more interesting than the random ones. There are set pieces and carefully designed levels that take advantage of the game's mechanics, and just serve to highlight how directionless the random levels are. I hate to say it, but the game would probably have been much better if every level was handmade.

That doesn't mean it's boring or bad. It's excellent, and a tribute to the Steamworld developers' skill. They keep expanding the universe into new genres, doing something unique with the formula each time. They're on my list of "must-buy" devs, and they haven't disappointed me yet.

Carrion

A pretty short but immensely entertaining exploration game where you are the monster trying to escape the facility where you are imprisoned. It's very clearly inspired by The Thing and it does a masterful job of capturing the body-horror vibe of it. It's impressive how it feels simultaneously great and horrifying to move around the world as a deadly mass of flesh and tentacles. There's an unnatural fluidity to every action that's disturbing and inhuman.

Every extra power you gain reinforces that feeling. Turning into a mass of worms to slip through grates underwater, extending a pseudopod to assimilate an unsuspecting human, and charging through doors in an explosive fury all feel great to perform even as they are repulsive to witness.

It's a short but memorable game, filled with clever puzzles and memorable set-pieces. The flashbacks to the origin of the outbreak, where you play as a member of the team that explores the initial aftermath, are very well done. There's very little explicit storytelling, leaving you to piece together the puzzle.

There's nothing really like it out there, and I'm glad that there's a publisher like Devolver out there taking chances on weird ideas.

Akane

You've got a gun, a katana, and a death wish. You're trapped in an arena with hordes of Yakuza and you know you're not going to make it out alive. The only question is how many of them you're going to take with you.

Akane is brutally difficult: take one hit, and you're dead. You can slash, you can shoot, and you can dodge. Kill enough Yakuza quickly enough to build up your combo meter and you can unleash a couple of classic Samurai movie "kill them all before they know they're dead" moves. It's tough to get a feel for the rhythms of combat, but once you do it feels incredible. Every action is smooth, every hit has a satisfying impact, every perfectly timed dodge feels exhilirating.

The whole package is undenyably stylish and graceful. The music is pulse-poundingly good (if only there was more of it!) and the art style drips with neon-infused cyberpunk vibes. There may be only one stage, but the whole package is a treat for the eyes and ears.

I don't know if it's actually possible to "beat" this game, since it seems to be endless. You fight waves of enemies in an arena, and every 100 enemies is a boss that gets progressively tougher each time you meet him. There's a cut-scene that wraps up the story if you can get past 500 enemies, and there are plenty of challenges that unlock different weapons and perks to give it some longevity.

It's brutal, exhilirating, white-knuckle fun that's well worth investing the time in to get good.

Roguebook

Roguebook has an incredible pedigree. It's developed by the Richard Garfield, the man who helped create Magic: The Gathering, and Abrakam, the developers of Faeria.

For some reason, it regularly goes on sale for 90% off on the Switch eshop. I'm generally wary of games that do this, but I took a chance based on the developers and I'm glad I did. It's a run-based deckbuilder in the vein of Slay the Spire and its imitators/inspirations. It has several things going for it that make it well worth your time.

You control two characters out of an eventual four choices. Each one is wildly different from the others and has enough variety in their decks to create many viable builds. They can synergize with each other in surprising ways, as well.

Characters are either in the front, where they are the target of the vast majority of attacks, or in the back. Cards can switch the characters' placement, and using those intelligently is the key to surviving. Some cards can only be used in front or back, or have additional effects or reduced cost if used in a particular position. Some characters are stronger in different positions, as well. Knowing when each one needs to be in which position, and how to play your cards to put them there, is the difference between a quick victory and a humiliating defeat.

It also distinguishes itself from others in the genre by its exploration. There's a direct path to each chapter's boss, and you can reveal unkown parts of the map using your paintbrush and ink. You have a limited supply of each, and gain more by defeating enemies. The more of the map you reveal, the more chances you have of uncovering useful relics or cards. You have to carefully consider where you use your ink to maximize this while minimizing the damage you take from each fight.

There are only three chapters, but the difficulty ramps up considerably in each one. Despite that, it wasn't particularly difficult for me to get my first victory. The new run+ gives you a number of "epilogues," challenges that increase both risk and rewards. The narrator hints that the book might let you go if you complete enough of these. I've completed a few already and each one changes the calculus in dramatic ways, forcing you to rethink your strategies and try new ones.

The main criticism I have of this is that your success is more dependent on luck than it should be. Explore the wrong areas and you've wasted your ink and any chances to get something useful. Multiple characters means multiple decks to manage. You get a lot of chances to draft cards, but you might only be able to build one deck that's sufficiently powerful enough to carry you through the brutal third act.

It's not perfect, but it's a damn good one of these if you're a fan of the genre.

ETA: fixed various formatting tags.

Edited on by Harleq

Harleq

kkslider5552000

I'm always here for more praise for Steamworld Heist, one of the only strategy games I bothered to complete ever.

I'm too lazy to write...actual words about the games I beat right now but I do have a list:
-Yooka Laylee
-Link's Awakening remake
-Xenoblade 2's Torna Expansion
-Age of Calamity's DLC had an ending of some sort I think I'll count it
-Goldeneye 007
-Advance War 1's campaign in the remake
-Metroid Prime: Remastered
-Doom 2
-Oxenfree 2
-Live a Live

Along with replays of Ocarina of Time, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance and Sonic Mania.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Sisilly_G

Let's have a look-see...

• Pokémon Violet
    Completed the main game + Pokédex. Yet to purchase the DLC (as I'm put off by the prematurely released "complete" physical reissue). Have yet to receive the first badge in Scarlet, but I've completed the Pokédex in that too so that I can have a shiny charm for the bulk of that play-through (and funnily enough, I found a shiny Lechonk before I had even entered the school grounds!).
  • Untitled Goose Game
    Completed the main game aaaaaages ago, but I found the extra missions to be a little daunting. Turns out that they weren't nearly as hard to do as I had anticipated (expecting them to be extremely difficult without a second player), but I got them all within a few attempts.
  • Fire Emblem Engage
    Completed the main game in Casual/Easy with all support conversations EXCEPT for one late-game character who I didn't know was recruitable (grrr...), so I'm hoping to amend that in a Casual/Hard play-through (which is already tearing me to shreds).
  • WarioWare: Move It!
    It's pretty short. I haven't yet unlocked all of the poses though, but I'll try and get around to it soon. All stages and microgames are unlocked, however.
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
    Completed everything except for the badge marathon. I spent all night a few weeks ago trying to complete it and failed miserably (I made it to the final stage several times too) as I was down to my last life an decided to leave it there.
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
    Not sure if this counts as I beat the main game, but I still have a ways to go with all of the new postgame dungeons (and accompanying difficulty spike...).
  • Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!/Pikachu!
    Already completed the main games + Pokédexs way back, but I decided to go for defeating all of the master trainers, which involved a lot of grinding in Cerulean Cave (but I got a good bunch of shinies out of all my comboing, including two Charizards, and a non-shiny Zapdos in the overworld).
  • Commander Keen: Keen Dreams - Definitive Edition
    The new levels in this "definitive" edition are so hideously and amateurishly designed, and it took dozens of tries to complete the objectives in some of those stages. I persevered and 100%'ed it though.
  • Ultra Mega Xtra Party Challenge
    A motion-based WarioWare knock-off before Move It came along. It's pretty good, but I think there was a weird bug that wiped out my save (maybe because I quit the game while it was saving, but the game doesn't actually alert you when it's saving data, which may be concerning).
  • Picross: Lord of the Nazarick
    No interest in the "Lord of the Nazarick" series, its lore or anything. I'll play almost anything that's Picross-related. I completed the Hello Kitty one on 3DS too. I'm almost done with Picross S5 too.
  • The Pizza Delivery Boy Who Saved The World
    Very little in the way of actual "gameplay". It's mostly just a mildly amusing visual novel at best with zero replay value.
  • Game Dev Story

I'm yet to complete The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. The last I had played (which was a few months ago now), I was up to the boss of my third regional phenomena. I've unlocked all of the runes and found almost all of the shrines though, so, there really isn't a whole lot more for me to do.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Harleq

@kkslider5552000 Steamworld Heist is great. I may go back to it one day and try to get all the hats.

Your list contains some real gems, including some I played and beat when they came out originally (Doom 2, Goldeneye, and Metroid Prime). You have excellent taste!

@Sisilly_G You owe it to yourself to finish Tears of the Kingdom. The final fights are some of the most memorable in the game.

Harleq

dmcc0

I'm in the same boat - didn't play any 2023 games this year, and not much on Switch at all to be honest. Had more play time on Xbox & 3DS I think.

Completed:
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Great Game - definitely the best thing I've played this year across all platforms.
Cotton Reboot
Finally got around to playing one of the many Cotton games in the backlog. Really good Shoot-Em-Up
South Park: The Stick of Truth
I'm no more than a casual South Park fan, but this was a really fun game, although there were probably a ton of in-jokes from the show that went straight over my head. Some genuinely funny parts though.
Beast Busters Can barely remember what this was like - Rail shooter type game from the SNK collection I think. Pretty forgettable.

Played, but dropped:
Annalynn Retro arcade-style platformer which borrows heavily from games like Pac Man. Was pretty enjoyable, but got frustrated with enemies seemingly appearing right in front of me with no time to dodge.
Dig Dug Fun arcade game from one of the Namco compilations. Played a fair bit, but didn't finish as it apparently has around 250 levels! Might go back to it if I fancy something to play in short bursts.
99Vidas Side-scrolling Beat-Em-Up. Was pretty disappointed in this as it reviews quite well, but I found it very average. Got bored with it pretty quickly and never finished it.

Edited on by dmcc0

dmcc0

Magician

The games I rolled credits for, but there are many I've started but have yet to "finish".

Arcade Paradise
As a person who grew up playing cabinets at local bowling alleys, pizza places, or arcades in the late 70's to early 90's...Arcade Paradise spoke to me on a personal level. The game oozes nostalgia for those familiar with quarter-munching experiences. If you're like me and you have a lot of love for that place in time, don't skip this game.

Ruiner
Isometric twin-stick action game published by Devolver Digital. Arguably one of my favorite third party publishers because the games they publish skew more towards mature-rated experiences than family-friendly-fun. Ruiner is a linear action game with a lot of window dressing. There's a score-and-time-attack system, but both don't go towards anything other than speed running and/or bragging rights.

Anywho, this was a quick three-hour blast. You're constantly switching between melee and ranged weapons depending on the situation. Ranged weapons only get one magazine, which forces you to routinely pick up weapons dropped by enemies. And the soundtrack is very appropriate for the dystopian / cyberpunk theme of the game.

Just...one hell of a good time, puppy.

Cyberpunk 2077
Gave me whiplash from the lack of loading screens after playing Midfield.

Starfield (a.k.a. - Midfield)
It's better than the launch version of Fallout 76, I'll give it that much.

Monster Hunter Rise
Rolled credits for the base game again on PS5. The hype for Wilds in 2025 is real.

Dragon Quest Treasures
I'm a sucker for most anything DQ-themed. I enjoyed this.

Witch on the Holy Night
Visual novels that aren't otome feel few and far between. I might rank this as a top-five vn on Switch?

Chaos;Head Noah
On the other end of spectrum I experienced this. Again, not an otome, but by the end I didn't care about these characters. And the constant suicidal thoughts from the protagonist? Woof.

Oxenfree
A four hour adventure game with a tinge of Eldritch horror. Puzzles are on the easy side, making this feel closer to a 2D walking simulator. But, it's well written and the voicework is great, which was enough to make me eager for each proceeding moment. Fantastic.

Trouble Witches Final: Episode 1 - Daughters of Amalgam
Pleasantly surprised. The pixel art of the characters over 3D backgrounds, running at a smooth framerate even during a screen full of bullets, this game is nice to look at. I like the currency system of purchasing your bombs, lives, and extending the duration of your witch ability. Dare I say that this is the best cute'em up I've ever played?

Alba: A Wildlife Adventure
An open world adventure game about taking photographs of the world's wildlife. You play the role of a young girl whose mission is to save the island's nature preserve from being demolished in lieu of the construction of a shiny new hotel. It's like Pokemon Snap, only less complicated and has freedom of movement, lol. Just a fun, super-solid, easy-breezy chill experience.

Spidersaurs
Co-op run'n'gunnin' fun. I think the game looks great, sounds great, and plays fairly well. But...I think it follows Contra's design...too well. Lots of cheap deaths. Whether it's ranged enemies spawning at odd angles to the weapons you have equipped, leaving you unable to defend yourself. Or enemies with greater movement speed than that of your character, resulting in bad touch...after bad touch...after bad touch, causing you to burn through your continues quickly.

Warhammer 40k: Shootas, Blood and Teef
Developed by Rogueside. These fine Belgium folk know how to make fun run'n'gun games. Coming off of the Guns, Gore & Cannoli games, Warhammer 40k SBT feels like a proper WH game from the perspective of the Orks. The quality of the voicework and the audio design make this game feel like a high AA-quality game. Unfortunately, the framerate on Switch begins to dip when the action gets too intense.

Arietta of Spirits
It takes a lot of inspiration from Zelda. Top-down action adventure. But where Zelda is a bit more of an open world, with a bit of exploration, AoS is much more of a linear experience. It only took three hours to play through. But the music is quite nice and the boss fights are mechanically good fun.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Matt_Barber

Here are the ones I finished:

Assassin's Creed: Ezio Collection - The quality of the Switch port pleasantly surprised me. That's not to say that it runs amazingly or anything, but I could detect some visual improvements over the originals and the frame rate holds up just enough not to get in the way of your rooftop parkour. Replaying these games was fun in a way that the more recent entries in the series can't deliver for me any more.

Persona 5 Royal - This is a well-regarded Switch port with good reason. If anything, I'd say that it runs better than, the still Switch-exclusive, Shin Megami Tensei V. I don't think the game needs much of an introduction; you've got a mix of schoolboy social sim and otherworldly dungeon delving. Very good overall, although I'd still say that my heart lies more with the mainline SMT games.

Old Man's Journey - An inventive little puzzler with a touching story that makes for my cozy-game-about-death this year. It's too short and simple to be compared with the likes of Gris and Spiritfarer, but well put together for what it is.

Fire Emblem Engage - Enough has been said about the game's shortcomings in the story department that I won't go into that. Still, for all that you have to turn your brain off for the cut scenes, you've got to switch it right back on again for the battles. The map design is top notch and you've got to keep your forces on the move as the game will punish you if you just try to slog it out. I got a good sixty hours out of it but I can't say that I'm expecting it to have the replay value of Three Houses with that game's branching story.

Metroid Prime Remastered - This has gone down as the best example for the year of how to take an old game and update it for a modern platform without fixing anything that wasn't broken. It's still a great game even if it is a twenty year old one.

Bayonetta Origins - Loved this one. It looks and feels more like a third Okami game than a fourth Bayonetta but it's got the best and most coherent story of the series as a whole and the switch-up to more puzzle based gameplay suits me just fine. I just don't see it having as much replay value due to the lack of pure platinum medals to collect.

Advance Wars Re-Boot - We had a long wait for this one but it was worth it and, while Metroid Prime only needed a bit of a glow up, the decision to revamp the graphics over the GBA originals is justified here. The gameplay is virtually unchanged though and that's how it should be. Maybe we'll finally get a new entry in the series on the back of this?

F-Zero 99 - This might have come like a slap in the face with a wet fish to those looking for a GX follow up, but I'm loving it. Don't make the mistake of thinking that it's just the SNES game warmed over, as that's just its visual style and the gameplay is far deeper.

Super Mario Bros Wonder - I enjoyed it but didn't find it to be that radical a shake-up, just a mixture of the familiar and inventive and that;s no bad thing. You'll find plenty of wilder levels in the Maker games but it's definitely not just another NSMB.

Into the awards section now:

Baten Kaitos 1 and 2 Remastered - I went into this expecting the remasters to be pretty rough and there are definitely some poor things about them. The lack of an English dub didn't bother me, but the slowdowns and occasional bugs did, while the way that the QoL features were grafted on wasn't exactly seamless. You'd think that you might want to access the options to make the game a bit easier after you've lost a boss fight but no, you've got to close the game and reload to do that. Anyway, the stories hold up well, the music is as fabulous as it always was, and the visuals are better than ever thanks to the improved textures and animations. The parallels between the first game and Xenoblade 2 seemed rather notable too. Sure, it's a mixed bag on the technical side, but on balance it's still my third favorite of the year.

Xenoblade 3: Future Redeemed - I'm sure we've all got a dream that one of our favorite studios will make a game to order giving us exactly what we want and I almost feel that that happened here. Not only is this the crossover finale to the series that I always wanted but the lead character shares my name! Seriously, this is definitely one for the fans and, while enough of a game to stand in its own right like Torna did, it's one where you've ideally played the entire series first. Anyway, Torna was my favorite Switch game of 2018 and this is even better, but it's only second best this year because...

Tears of the Kingdom - As a fan of both expansive open worlds and games with impressive physics engine this absolutely nailed it to me. Insert gushing praise here. It's my game of the year and no question about it.

That's it for Switch, although I've still got Mario RPG and Pikmin on the unfinished pile.

There are a bunch of other games that I played on PC, and mobile but I'd save those for a more appropriate topic.

Matt_Barber

Harleq

@Magician You and I might be of a similiar age, because I had the exact same thoughts about Arcade Paradise. It's made with love and reverence for that particular era and captures it perfectly. I wonder how it looks to someone who didn't live through it.

Ruiner is awesome. Stylish and violent and perfectly comfortable being exactly what it is. I haven't touched the rest of your list, but there are a few I'm bookmarking for later.

@Matt_Barber Persona 5 is an all-timer. I've completed it on two different systems now and I'm dangerously close to starting another run. I'm glad to hear your thoughts on the Advance Wars and Baten Kaitos reboots. I loved their originals and it's good to see that they're still good after all these years. Maybe once I've gotten a few more of my backlog cleared...

@dmcc0 13 Sentinels is one of the best things I've ever played, and a perfect example of a story that could only be told through this medium. It's a towering achievement.

It's great to see everyone's lists here. Keep them coming!

Edited on by Harleq

Harleq

Fizza

I've finished/beaten WAYYYYYYY too many games this year to list all of them here so I'm just gonna link my Backloggd 'Games I've Played in 2023 Ranked' list instead XD

https://www.backloggd.com/u/Fizza/list/games-ive-played-in-20...

might edit this with my thoughts on certain individual games later but that's for future, less tired me to decide

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Extreme-G (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

BenAV

The games I reached the credits in this year (in order that I finished them):

• Chaos;Child
  • Dragon Quest Treasures
  • Portal
  • Return to Shironagasu Island
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • OneShot: World Machine Edition
  • Digimon Survive
  • Theathrythm Final Bar Line
  • Octopath Traveler II
  • Paranormasight: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo
  • Dredge
  • Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & the Secret Key
  • Wildfrost
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 DLC
  • GrimGrimoire OnceMore
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Witch on the Holy Night
  • We Love Katamari REROLL + Royal Reverie
  • Shadows Over Loathing
  • Megaman Battle Network 1
  • Master Detective Archives: RAIN CODE
  • Arcade Paradise
  • Pikmin 4
  • Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes - Definitive Edition
  • Little Noah: Scion of Paradise
  • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
  • Super Bullet Break
  • Vampire Survivors
  • The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood
  • Shotgun King: The Final Checkmate
  • Star Melody Yumemi Dreamer
  • Terraria (first time finishing the Switch version)
  • Anonymous;Code
  • Windosill
  • Chained Echoes
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • Rune Factory 3 Special
  • Dave the Diver
  • ghostpia Season One
  • Risk of Rain Returns
  • Star Ocean: The Second Story R
  • SteamWorld Build

The games I've started but haven't finished for whatever reason:

• Cult of the Lamb
  • No Man's Sky
  • Lunistice
  • Factorio
  • Floppy Knights
  • Two Point Campus
  • Atelier Marie Remake: The Alchemist of Salburg
  • Tactics Ogre: Reborn
  • Blue Fire
  • Tunic
  • Backpack Hero
  • Faeria
  • Etrian Odyssey HD
  • Outer Wilds
  • Potion Craft
  • Little Goody Two Shoes

Edited on by BenAV

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

Sisilly_G

Harleq wrote:

You owe it to yourself to finish Tears of the Kingdom. The final fights are some of the most memorable in the game.

I have a feeling that I'm going to need to set aside a few hours to fully immerse myself in the game's conclusion, hence why I have been putting it off for the time being.

I fully intend to get around to it, but I am also yet to complete the last beast/dungeon in the BOTW DLC, so, I will likely prioritise that first.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Ralizah

Yeah, I really need to get back to TotK. I bounced off that HARD back in June.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Harleq

@Fizza That's a fun list! Castlevania II is such a weird thing. My brother and I played it so much that we could essentially speed run it by the end to get the best ending. I'd love to hear your thoughts. I have strong nostalgia for it but I also think it's objectively bad in just about every way but the music.

@BenAV You beat ALL those games this year? How did you find the time? I'm lucky to have an hour to play in the morning while nursing my daily cup of coffee.

Harleq

• Page 1 of 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic