Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 14,921 to 14,940 of 15,210

Matt_Barber

@VoidofLight I'd just like to see dungeons that are larger, with unique themes, and much greater variety among the bosses. The thing is, once you've seen the inside of a shrine in BotW, you've pretty much seen them all and that's something that can be fixed without needing to change the formula of the game as a whole.

There's no need to bring back key items or otherwise force linearity onto the game's overall structure. The dungeons can still be linear in themselves, and indeed most of the shrines in BotW already are; you've even got literal keys in some of them. They just won't stop you from progressing anywhere else, and I'd think that's a good thing that's worth keeping.

Matt_Barber

VoidofLight

@Matt_Barber Ah yeah, I hope that dungeons with proper themes will make a return as well. Unique bosses, proper themes to them, and mini-bosses would be awesome.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Pizzamorg

Went back with my bonus hearts and meals and it was still hopeless. I actually think I did worse, I wasn’t able to get a single bit of damage off before I burned through every meal I had.

I genuinely don’t understand how anyone beats Thunderblight Ganon, I think it’s just beyond my gaming skill level. And if that is the case, then I guess I am just stuck forever? I just don’t know what I am supposed to do, I have never faced a boss so hard in a regular game before.

I understand the principle of what you are supposed to do in the fight, but the teleport breaks the lock on, so I can’t consistently trigger the bullet time which appears to be the only way to do damage. I also understand you need to use one handed weapons, so you can put up a shield to soak up the absurd amounts of damage it does, but all the one handed weapons I find are rubbish. Low durability, low damage. They break and I am barely into the fight and I am left with one handed weapons again.

Should I just come back at the end of the game when I have maximum hearts? I think I am on about 10 hearts and he can still two shot me, even with meals. Is there like a number of hearts that is required for this? Is there somewhere I can better one handed weapons? Do I bother locking on or do I just absolutely mash the dodge button with all of my might and just pray to the above that the bullet time activates? I wanna rip my hair out because the game has just put a massive, smooth, wall in front of me that I just can’t climb to get over.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

FroZtedFlake

@Pizzamorg Sorry to hear that, Thunderblight is a beast. I would maybe head over to the last divine beast, usually I'll leave Vah Naboris for last. The last power will help you out, and you'll get some more hearts, try cooking things with the word "hearty" in it for some big health boost meals.
If you can't beat that boss all you can really do is come back later, that one's a toughy.

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

exit

I'm playing this for the first time and honestly it's the most fun I've had since the N64 Zelda titles. It's different, but familiar. Although I've enjoyed every Zelda title, this has been a refreshing experience. It's hit me with vibes from when I was young. I haven't been this immersed in a game in a while.

A bit late to the party I know, but great job Nintendo.

exit

Tendo64

Pizzamorg wrote:

Went back with my bonus hearts and meals and it was still hopeless. I actually think I did worse, I wasn’t able to get a single bit of damage off before I burned through every meal I had.

I genuinely don’t understand how anyone beats Thunderblight Ganon, I think it’s just beyond my gaming skill level. And if that is the case, then I guess I am just stuck forever? I just don’t know what I am supposed to do, I have never faced a boss so hard in a regular game before.

I understand the principle of what you are supposed to do in the fight, but the teleport breaks the lock on, so I can’t consistently trigger the bullet time which appears to be the only way to do damage. I also understand you need to use one handed weapons, so you can put up a shield to soak up the absurd amounts of damage it does, but all the one handed weapons I find are rubbish. Low durability, low damage. They break and I am barely into the fight and I am left with one handed weapons again.

Should I just come back at the end of the game when I have maximum hearts? I think I am on about 10 hearts and he can still two shot me, even with meals. Is there like a number of hearts that is required for this? Is there somewhere I can better one handed weapons? Do I bother locking on or do I just absolutely mash the dodge button with all of my might and just pray to the above that the bullet time activates? I wanna rip my hair out because the game has just put a massive, smooth, wall in front of me that I just can’t climb to get over.

I feel your pain having had a similar experience a few months back with Thunderblight Ganon - I did him last. He's brutal and took me loads of practice and persistence to beat. I'm talking upwards of 50 or so attempts, and maybe that's even being conservative. Had times where all I needed was to inflict one more hit and he was dead...but he'd still finish me somehow.

Don't be discouraged as I found the more I tried, generally the closer I got to toppling him, and it got to a point where the progress was that obvious that I came to accept that it would only now be a matter of time before I got it done, so long as I kept going.

Could also pay to watch a YouTube guide to see if there's any strategies you can apply that you may not already be using.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

Matt_Barber

I just spammed it with bomb arrows from a safe distance, jumping off the ledges to start bullet time. That gets through its health bar pretty quickly, and you don't tend to take much damage if you just run away whenever it charges.

There is one section of the fight where it starts throwing electrified spikes at you. You've got to pick one of these up with magnesis and hold it so that it shocks itself. You can then get back to the bomb arrows to finish it off.

There are other strategies such as backflipping when it charges you for flurry rushes, well timed shield (don't use a metal one!) parries or just getting a twice upgraded rubber set so it can't do shock damage. However, you can save that for when you get around to doing the Champion's Ballad.

Matt_Barber

Eel

@Pizzamorg have you been upgrading your gear and practicing shield parrying/perfect dodging?

He's probably the hardest blight, but the blights in general shouldn't be that hard.

(also try checking your runes, you might find one of them helps dealing with him in particular)

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Pizzamorg

I actually think I figured the fight out and I actually think like a lot of things in BOTW, I made it harder by over thinking the whole thing, the simple solution really is the main solution for every problem here. Now it is more of an equipment problem.

I thought the only way I could damage him is if I John Woo’d him with a dodge or parry, but actually as long as you just stand there blocking (save for the occasional time the camera will screw you over or you have a two handed weapon and forget to put it away and take the shield out) you actually don’t need to do anything. They will hit into your shield and that gives you an attack window, so you just have to stand there, save for the occasional back pedal a bit to avoid the lightning. I am sure it is probably faster if you use the bullet time, but it also leaves you open to be more consistently hit, this is a slower, safer, strategy.

The problem I had is the three proper shields I had broke and the only shield I had left was a pot lid which also broke in a single hit and I still had just over half of his health left, so I just abandoned that fight. If I can find some more durable shields somewhere, I think I should be able to beat this. But I’m trying to find somewhere I can find better shields, without having to fight anything because if I have to fight for the shields, then it sorta defeats the purpose, as it will wear out the items I do have, meaning I will need to find more and so on forever.

Eel

Ah, yeah overthinking will do that.

The main thing about parrying is actually conserving shield health. If you do a parry, not only will it stun the enemy, the shield will be completely fine too. You can also break his shield, btw- turn things around.

Going for Vah Rudania first, if you haven't yet, might help you too.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Munchlax

I may be misremembering, but can’t you just shield him normally if you have shock resistance?

Munchlax

Matt_Barber

Shock resistance will reduce the damage you get from electricity but to be totally immune you'd need the Rubber Armour set upgraded twice. The Thunder Helm also does the trick, but you can't pick thast up until after the fight.

Guardian shields will also protect you from shock, but aren't much less fragile than the wooden ones.

Matt_Barber

Pizzamorg

Eel wrote:

Ah, yeah overthinking will do that.

The main thing about parrying is actually conserving shield health. If you do a parry, not only will it stun the enemy, the shield will be completely fine too. You can also break his shield, btw- turn things around.

Going for Vah Rudania first, if you haven't yet, might help you too.

Oh so if you parry, your shield takes no damage at all? I didn’t realise. That sounds better then. But if I miss time, am I open to be hit, like if you try and dodge?

Munchlax

@Matt_Barber
I didn’t have that, so I looked it up. Apparently, Thunderblight can’t shock you if you have lv 3 shock resistance, even without the “unshockable” effect. No other enemy in this game has this property, making Thunderblight’s electricity actually a tier weaker than just a keese or lizalfos.

Munchlax

Matt_Barber

@Munchlax Thanks. That's an interesting find.

You've got a lot more options for getting level 3 shock resistance, including food and potions, so it's definitely worth a shot.

Matt_Barber

Pizzamorg

I hate this boss so much. I dont know who hurt the designer of this boss but why do I have to suffer because they did. I don’t understand how you can include a boss this hard and not include the option to either turn the difficulty down or see my failing on this dozens of times over and there not being an option to just skip the boss so you can progress. This one boss has just ripped out every ounce of like I had for this game. I went from being excited to play BOTW to resenting the icon on my Switch. One boss has ruined an entire game.

I clear stage one - the parry tip helped me keep my shields for longer. I clear stage 2 - this stage is just a complete mess, because it doesn’t consistently work on every attempt and the camera in BOTW is awful, but because of the lightning tonic meal thing it doesn’t matter, the game can’t screw me on this.

Then, OMG, I am down to a tiny sliver of health. I have one proper shield still left, I have burned all my food, all my fairies and my self res but surely this is it. I have done it, I can finally go back and enjoy this game again. I am sweating so profusely I can barely see or get a grip on the Switch. I am so close, I am pursing my lips. Tasting the sweet taste of being able to once again progress and enjoy this game again.

Then the dev turns around and says ***** YOU, NO JOY ALLOWED and slaps me right across the face. In one moment, all my hope, dreams and joy are shot into a void of utter woe as the boss suddenly unleashes a brand new attack, an instantly shield shattering laser beam. All my shields are gone, all my healing items are gone, I have nothing left and it knows it, finishing me off with one twirl of it’s weapon. It is over. Almost an hours worth of effort, just evaporated into thin air with nothing to show for it.

I know people like this stuff, but I thought this stuff was isolated to games like Dark Souls so I could keep a wide berth as I play games to have fun and in my world, this isn’t fun, this is torture. If I knew this game was a Dark Souls game I wouldn’t have bothered playing it but now I’ve invested like 30 hours into this game. I either cut my losses and just give up on the game, knowing all that time was wasted or I just keep turning the game on, failing to this boss, fighting the urge to dash my Switch at the wall and then just sit and feel miserable for the rest of the day.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Pizzamorg

I googled it to see if it is just me and it isn’t just me. Someone said they gave up after trying to beat them for over four months. I am not quite there yet, lol.

FroZtedFlake

@Pizzamorg Yep, if you get the blights to very low health they pull out the guardian laser attacks (which you can also parry) I always do Thunderblight last and at most it takes me 3 times, so maybe go for the master sword and the last divine beast?

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

VoidofLight

I never really had this problem either. Thunderblight was challenging, but I saved him for either last, or second to last... as it was the one area I didn't really feel the urge to explore right away. Due to this, I had Mipha's healing grace, so if I died, I'd get revived for free. I also had fairies on my person.. a ton of fairies, and lightning resistant foods. Wasn't a cake walk, since I died multiple times and got game overs, but it wasn't as hard as this sounds.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic