Forums

Topic: So three of the top four Switch 2021 releases are visual novels.

Posts 1 to 7 of 7

Magician

Does that make you excited for the future of the Switch as a platform?

Discuss.

I think we need a Mario vn, am I right?
/sarcasm

https://opencritic.com/browse/switch/2021

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BenAV

The last few years have been great for VNs on Switch, always a steady flow of really good ones to choose from. Not into otome stuff personally though so my list would be looking a little different.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

gcunit

I'm gonna be Mr. Obvious and say that this just reflects how review sites distribute their review workload. Visual novels tend to be reviewed by visual novel fans rather than general gamers, and it seems they can't play any VN without giving them a 9.

I think the future of the platform is more determined by sales figures, not review aggregates, so I would suggest this finding means little for Switch's future.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Solaine

I love Visual novels, but i also think Bustafellows and Cupid Parasite, at the very least, are not fit for the spot among all those other games. I am a fan, so i am not against that kind of development, but this doesn't really mean anything as ratings don't determine the future of the console. I also like to say that there are just a lot less critics reviewing the VN titles, making their scores fluctuate much easier, compared to bigger releases. Just look at House of fata morgana (13 critics) vs SMT V (91 reviews). Easy to get better if all those 13 people who read Visual novels happen to say its good, while the 13 in SMT V just don't have as much pull in the group

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

kkslider5552000

This is what happens when only a tiny group of fans review certain games.

Good for those games tbh, since if for whatever reason other reviewers played them, some of them likely wouldn't get the appeal on a genre basis, let alone whether these specific ones are good or not.

that being said, how many people actually use open critic over metacritic? It's like the Bing of review aggregates.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Matt_Barber

The mistake is believing that aggregate review scores mean anything.

They're good as a first filter if you want to get past everything that's widely regarded as crap, and they're arguably of some use too when you're looking at similar games that have been scored by mostly the same reviewers.

However, for comparing two games in different genres, they're about as much use as comparing the percentage of blue on the box art.

Matt_Barber

Ralizah

Pretty strong year for otome games, I guess. I have so many to play on my Vita, though, I can't even think about trying newer ones. And even those are fairly low on my list of games I need to play.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

• Page 1 of 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic