Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 2,121 to 2,129 of 2,129

WoomyNNYes

I want a Breath of the Wild sized world for Odyssey 2. It's won't happen, but I want it.

Playing: Rocket League lately.
Science liker.
Extreme bicycle rider.
(Nobody says "extreme". I say it to be silly.)

Dezzy

@Woomy_NNYes

I can't imagine a world that big actually working for a platformer. There's no way they could fill the entire world with platforming challenges, so you'd end up with big stretches of land between them. That would seem a lot weirder in a platformer than in an RPG or adventure game, given the more abstract and focused nature of most platformers.

Think of the Sand Kingdom in Odyssey. That was probably the biggest in total area and it meant you just had large stretches of nothingness between landmarks.

I FAR preferred the Metro Kingdom. Which was a lot smaller in scale but much more focused and dense.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

iKhan

Dezzy wrote:

@Woomy_NNYes

I can't imagine a world that big actually working for a platformer. There's no way they could fill the entire world with platforming challenges, so you'd end up with big stretches of land between them. That would seem a lot weirder in a platformer than in an RPG or adventure game, given the more abstract and focused nature of most platformers.

Think of the Sand Kingdom in Odyssey. That was probably the biggest in total area and it meant you just had large stretches of nothingness between landmarks.

I FAR preferred the Metro Kingdom. Which was a lot smaller in scale but much more focused and dense.

Actually Sand Kingdom was probably my favorite kingdom in the game.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

WoomyNNYes

@Dezzy My logic was, in botw they linked different climates and towns, and divided them with trees, mountains, cliffs, plains, water features. And in odyssey, you can get around with Jaxi or a moped. They could even replace shrines with haunted mansions or toad mushroom houses. If you think that sounds crazy, perhaps it is

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Playing: Rocket League lately.
Science liker.
Extreme bicycle rider.
(Nobody says "extreme". I say it to be silly.)

Dezzy

@Woomy_NNYes

I think huge open-worlds only really work in games where there's either a big incentive for exploration OR games where the story and lore are benefited by having the huge world. The rest of the time they're kinda pointless.

I can't help feeling Mario going open-world would be a bit like Metal Gear Solid 5 going open-world, in that it added almost nothing to the experience. Almost no-one says it was better than the earlier games because of that.

That's so different from something like Witcher 3 or Final Fantasy XV, which benefited massively from going open-world.

rallydefault

I agree that massive "open" worlds don't usually jive for platformers. I just thought Odyssey was a bit too..."hoppy." I mean, it pretty much lacks a hub world of any sort, so it just kind of turns into a menu, and that's a bummer. Just something like the castle from Mario 64, but a bit bigger with a bit more going on. That's all, nothing crazy.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Dezzy

@iKhan

But was it because of the horizontal size of it, or was it because of the visuals and platforming design. Because they could've fit that same thing into half the area and it would've been fine.

iKhan

Dezzy wrote:

@iKhan

But was it because of the horizontal size of it, or was it because of the visuals and platforming design. Because they could've fit that same thing into half the area and it would've been fine.

I think it had a lot to do with the sheer amount of content. But I think the size was part of it. I loved roaming the desert trying to find neat new things to do.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

DAHstroy

I have like 770+ moons and don't really care to finish the collection of the moons. Is there a reason to hop back into the game and 100% it?

DAHstroy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic