Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Posts 181 to 200 of 2,145

kkslider5552000

Emperor-Palpsy wrote:

YellowFighter wrote:

I think that's more to do with Nintendo changing things just for the sake of changing something rather than hardware limitations.

Nah, definitely more shrewd. By the time MK8 was in development, Nintendo would have already seen the writing on the wall for Wii U. So they've just used the old marketing trick of holding features back in order to create more demand for a future product. Had they spent the extra time developing a Deluxe-style battle mode for it, then there would be nothing new or noteworthy to advertise for the Switch port other than double items.

You're both blatantly wrong.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

LzWinky

Nintendo is obviously greedy and evil. Games should be sold with everything for nothing!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

BigBadJohn

@TheLZdragon They shouldn't even be selling them. They should be giving them away for free. Nintendo is an evil money grabbing monster. In fact why am I paying for the console that should be free too.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

TuVictus

I mean, Nintendo is greedy. Most companies are. Evil, nahhhh.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

kkslider5552000

YellowFighter wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Emperor-Palpsy wrote:

YellowFighter wrote:

I think that's more to do with Nintendo changing things just for the sake of changing something rather than hardware limitations.

Nah, definitely more shrewd. By the time MK8 was in development, Nintendo would have already seen the writing on the wall for Wii U. So they've just used the old marketing trick of holding features back in order to create more demand for a future product. Had they spent the extra time developing a Deluxe-style battle mode for it, then there would be nothing new or noteworthy to advertise for the Switch port other than double items.

How?

Because neither theory makes the tiniest bit of sense to actually do.

Now, Nintendo changing things is sometimes absurd but there's usually SOME sort of logic to it. Metroid Prime: Federation Force was never any replacement for a real Metroid game, it was a spinoff from after Prime 3 that just took an absurd amount of time to get anywhere. Paper Mario was changed because Nintendo didn't want 2 Mario spinoffs both doing a similar RPG thing forever (there's many issues with this logic, but at its core it has some logic). If you are a competent game publisher/developer, you don't change things just because you can.

And the other thing has been pretty thoroughly disproven.

The idea that they ran out of time to make quality battle mode maps and things just makes...sense. Nintendo couldn't risk huge delays for it and making an HD game of this quality when previous entries were not HD is a huge undertaking.

Emperor-Palpsy

Holding features back from product releases is, essentially, Marketing 101. Most companies do this; Apple are one of the cleverest.

In the case of Mario Kart 8, the DLC has significantly lesser value than the Battle Mode. Why? Because the Battle Mode mode is just that - it affects the gameplay through rules and environment. The additional tracks and courses for race mode, however, exist to pad out an already well fleshed area of the software. So if there's an argument that Nintendo "ran out of time" or couldn't produce battle arenas for other reasons, then how where they able (and willing) to produce many stunning race tracks that are several times the size of a battle arena?

The explanation for MK8's Battle Mode was interesting to say the least.

"We’ve changed the style of Battle mode for Mario Kart 8 to use circuits that lots of people can play on. Players won’t know when a rival will appear from around a corner, which will bring a new sense of excitement and strategy to this mode. In terms of rules, we designed it for playing with 12 players, including the CPU. In the beginning, you have to defeat the CPU players and earn your score, and towards the end it becomes a battle between just human players. That’s the real thrill of it! It should also be a fresh experience for users to be able to race backwards around the circuits they are familiar with. I’m sure there will be a few people who aren’t so sure about us moving away from how we’ve done things previously, but I hope they try it out for themselves first. I’m sure it will be a new experience for everyone, [and] like no other battles in Mario Kart before

A couple of points to note; that players "won't know when a rival will appear" is nonsense, seeing as you have a map either on the Game Pad or on the screen, and second, "racing" around circuits during a Battle defeats the point of having a battle. Arenas designed especially for Battle Mode are done in such a way as to enhance vantage points, create hiding spaces and make the game more tactically entertaining.

There's also one point that hasn't been addressed, and this is why Balloon was the only Battle Mode present. How is the gameplay enhanced by not including Coin Runners or other game types?

People are going to have strong feelings on this whole topic and its understandable, given how important Battle Mode is. But from my perspective, this is a classic example of seeing the writing on the wall for the Wii U and saving the game's most popular feature in a rerelease; where both existing Wii U owners AND new Switch owners will be inclined to purchase the software. The Wii U pretty much tanked after the first month of its release, so it was actually smart of Nintendo to make their move while they could.

Edited on by Emperor-Palpsy

cackle

kkslider5552000

YellowFighter wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

YellowFighter wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

YellowFighter wrote:

How?

Because neither theory makes the tiniest bit of sense to actually do.

Now, Nintendo changing things is sometimes absurd but there's usually SOME sort of logic to it. Metroid Prime: Federation Force was never any replacement for a real Metroid game, it was a spinoff from after Prime 3 that just took an absurd amount of time to get anywhere. Paper Mario was changed because Nintendo didn't want 2 Mario spinoffs both doing a similar RPG thing forever (there's many issues with this logic, but at its core it has some logic). If you are a competent game publisher/developer, you don't change things just because you can.

And the other thing has been pretty thoroughly disproven.

The idea that they ran out of time to make quality battle mode maps and things just makes...sense. Nintendo couldn't risk huge delays for it and making an HD game of this quality when previous entries were not HD is a huge undertaking.

Three things.

1. Mario Kart 8's battle mode WAS changed because Nintendo wanted to make a change that no one asked for. (Along with Mario Party, Paper Mario, Metriod, and others).
http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-kart-8-director-on-why-ar...

If you honestly believe that's the real reason, you'll believe anything anyone tells you. It's blatantly an excuse because saying "we didn't have the time" sounds worse.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000

Well in that case, they didn't consider battle mode as much a priority. In the same way it wasn't enough of a priority to do it well in the first place.

The thing is, even if they did want to use the main tracks for battle mode for whatever reason, they did almost nothing to make it work. Because they didn't have time to make it interesting or good.

grizzgolf

I really hope a lot of people buy it. If I make the switch to switch I want people to play MK with online

grizzgolf

rallydefault

grizzgolf wrote:

I really hope a lot of people buy it. If I make the switch to switch I want people to play MK with online

Yea, I hope it gets a solid community going. I never had a problem finding an online match on Wii U, and with Battle Mode, now, I feel like this can really take off!

rallydefault

Blue_Blur

Having no new courses is disappointing, but I'm still getting this on day one. Mario Kart is one of my favorite games, so I know I'll enjoy it. The battle mode looks great and I'm glad the double item boxes are back, along with more items!

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

mav-i-am

Blue_Blur wrote:

Having no new courses is disappointing, but I'm still getting this on day one. Mario Kart is one of my favorite games, so I know I'll enjoy it. The battle mode looks great and I'm glad the double item boxes are back, along with more items!

I am expecting new courses to pop up for events.

What I would love is extra courses available as achievements in the game!

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

I think DLC will be announced at E3, I mean Nintendo's even giving BotW DLC so I see MK8D DLC being pretty likely for the future.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I think DLC will be announced at E3, I mean Nintendo's even giving BotW DLC so I see MK8D DLC being pretty likely for the future.

It's already the deluxe version with the added DLC already there tho, it's a different case to Zelda.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

puNINTENDed

I dont think there will be DLC in an already deluxe version but I dont know. MK8 is complete. Id rather see Mario Kart 9 than more dlc in Mario Kart Deluxe Deluxe.

puNINTENDed

RazorThin

Can't say that they will for sure release DLC for Deluxe, but I would love it if they did. It's a little bumming that there aren't any more additional tracks in Deluxe but I think they did that on purpose to keep revenue flowing through more MK8 DLC in the future.
I'm not really a fan of the retro tracks included in the base game, but once they threw the stupid "you can only use one retro track once per game" out the window with the DLC it gives me hope for more popular tracks returning. More MKDS and Wii tracks definitely need to be included that MK7 stole and completely butchered on that lackluster game. I can only dream.

RazorThin

Grumblevolcano

@jump Hyrule Warriors Legends is technically a "deluxe" version and there was a whole extra season pass for that.

@RazorThin I really liked the setup of retro tracks being limited to 1 game and was disappointed when that was broke with the MK8 DLC. Would've replaced GCN Yoshi Circuit, GCN Baby Park and SNES Rainbow Road with GCN Mushroom City, GCN Wario Colosseum and pretty much any unused SNES track. That said, I do realize that sticking with the rule would mean no more N64 tracks after Wario Stadium gets picked.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@jump Hyrule Warriors Legends is technically a "deluxe" version and there was a whole extra season pass for that..

Nah, it was presented as a port. It's not even that uncommon for games to have multiple season passes.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

LzWinky

@jump Except it wasn't a port. The content was redone

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

jump

TheLZdragon wrote:

@jump Except it wasn't a port. The content was redone

Yep, hence why I said presented as a port.

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic