Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 321 to 340 of 3,493

meppi64

Thanks.

Yeah that's mine.
It used to be more than just me, but you know how it goes. Life gets in the way and people move on.
So updates go a bit slow, but I don't want to sacrifice the quality to get more issues out quicker.
Right now I'm working with NeoGeoCollector to get the Neo Geo fanzine New Earth online.
My goal was to have all 15 issues of volume one up by tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'll get it all ready in time.
If you want a sneak peek, the first 10 issues are online but not linked up to the site yet, so normally people aren't able to get to them till they go live.
http://www.outofprintarchive.com/catalogue/newearth.html
The downloads don't work yet as I've yet to make the files, but the pages are all online to read on the site.
I'm working on issue 11-15 right now actually.

Well, between turning my Switch on to play some Magical Drop and Heroic Episode.
Really surprised by that last one. Never played it before. Might have been an arcade exclusive till now? Not sure. Feels like a fantasy Commando on first impressions, so that's certainly a good thing.
Wish we had Gun.Smoke on there as well. Maybe someday...

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

Qualitybeats

Speaking of podcasts, I just wrapped up production on one and was thinking Why not start a podcast discussing these chases?! My only concern is Nintendo Life being so heavily tied to it. But as an unofficial thing? I’m in on working on this if I can get a co-host. It would be cool to have guests from the leaderboards come and discuss the game, the games we’ve played for the chases, next game on the chase list, etc.

Let me know.

OneHeartLeft on YouTube

Switch Friend Code: SW-3372-2967-0798 | Twitter:

RetroGamerAndrew

@meppi64 I think you won't be disappointed, as far as I recall Aqua Kitten had a really competitive community (at least on Steam) and I'm betting my 2c that we'll end up using it for our weekly challenges sooner or later
I'll definitely take a look at Console Wars, It would be great to know more about that Golden Age of gaming. Thank you!

@Lroy ahah thank you but no, I assure you I'm 100% italian
Long story-(not so)short...
As a kid, long before taking English lessons at school (which by the way didn't happen till I was eleven), I used to try to translate all the lines from my favourite NES games, borrowing an old dictionary from the seventies from my uncle. I had a thing for international pop/rock music back then, so when I wasn't playing NES games at home on my old 14" crt (or at the local pub playing at the NEO-GEO multi-game cabinet) I loved to listen to Queen & Michael Jackson's tunes while trying to learn (and translate) the lyrics. Fast forward to the present, now I'm working as a software developer, so I often end up reading/writing technical papers (in English) and communicating with colleagues from all over the world

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

meppi64

Already bought 4 games today so I will put those on my list for another time.

Just had a look at Kyogeki Quartet Fighters on the eshop and I think this one might not get over to the west.
For starters, it doesn't support English at all, only Japanese, so the game is not a universal release.
That doesn't mean it will never happen since there's quite a few others like this that have come over.
But it certainly seems that it was developed with only a Japan release in mind for now.
And looking at some of the classic "Engrish" in there, that might not be a surprise.
"WARNIG!" before a boss battle certainly put a smile on my face. Ah the good old days!

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

Lroy

Just got in from all day road trip. If I can get the wife and kids to bed in a timely manner, I'll have one last run or two on AERO FIGHTERS 2. Fingers crossed I don't get bloody Paris!!!

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

RetroGamerAndrew

Wowowow seems like @masterLEON just hit the jackpot! Gratz on your first place man!!!

RetroGamerAndrew

Qualitybeats

Ended with 460600.
Congrats to Leon for taking it last minute it seems. Can’t wait to see what’s next. Happy to put this game behind me tho.

Also, would love to see what it took to get that score.

Edited on by Qualitybeats

OneHeartLeft on YouTube

Switch Friend Code: SW-3372-2967-0798 | Twitter:

wasilewski

Congrats to all and especially to Leon- amazing score.

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

Lroy

Well, despite one final push I was glued to that past high score I achieved a few days back. Baffled how I couldn't seem to match it again let alone pass it. Oh for video capture capabilities!

My final run tonight was the only one I can honestly say would have seen me climb up the Global Leaderboard into the top 10 places but I died before killing the level 4 boss in NY. Oh well, wasn't meant to be for me and my personal goal on this occasion.

Well done, to everyone who played the game and posted a score on the Global Leaderboards. Sincerely hope you'll say hi in the thread here to let us know you are out there.

Huge congrats to @MasterLeon and to all the high rankers such as @RetroGamerAndrew @GrailUK and @QualityBeats - would love to see footage of your runs.

I'm all anticipation for what is coming up next. I echo @QualityBeats sentiments that he is glad to leave AERO FIGHTERS 2 behind, well caravan mode at least.

So @MasterLeon what's it gonna be now?

Edited on by Lroy

masterLEON
That was intense! And also a bit imperfect, but I know I could reach HAMSTER's top spot at some point!

Cycling the stage order to New York>Jungle and switching to the F-14 did the trick (it took about 3 tries to get the stage order, luckily). And Silver, unfortunately, didn't work out.

Thank you everyone and congrats as well! There's nothing like the feeling of playing with the scores so close together at certain points!

To give some of our arms a little rest, and if we're cool with a non-traditional shmup, I choose Shock Troopers!

Edited on by masterLEON

"You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!"

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

GrailUK

@masterLEON Congratulations! Fantastic score.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

OorWullie

Well played everyone and congratulations to @masterLEON, what a score.

Apologies for late update, fell asleep early last night.

I've opened the new challenge but wasn't sure what rules to set. I put 'Lonely Wolf, any character starting from Jungle Route'

Actually thinking about it, maybe Team Battle, where we can choose 3 different characters and switch between them on the fly, would be a better choice ? Entirely up to you.

Edited on by OorWullie

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

Lroy

@OorWullie Cheers mate for your ongoing admin and organisation of this thread. We all need to buy you a 🍻 or two at some stage πŸ‘

RetroGamerAndrew

@masterLEON great choice! I also second @OorWullie 's suggestion to use a single route. I'll be experimenting different toons in the next days, as I've just realized that don't remember anything about this game anymore (used to play it a lot, but last time was at the local pub... back in the late nineties!).

Edited on by RetroGamerAndrew

RetroGamerAndrew

Lroy

Ok cool, so it is SHOCK TROOPERS next. Great game. Right, so it's caravan mode, jungle route and 'Lonely Wolf' - correct? I'll have a couple runs with different characters today if I get the chance.

OorWullie

@Lroy Not sure whether we should do Lonely Wolf or Team Battle. I think Team Battle could make it more interesting as you can switch between your characters on the fly. Part of the challenge will be figuring out the best combo. We'll see what masterLEON thinks.

SW-6101-8403-1640

Lroy

@OorWullie Understood. I'll wait for confirmation πŸ‘

CW13

Congrats to all! Well played! Never got to post my score(forgot about time zone difference No where near the top anyhow (CW13 371700pts.), a personal best for me. Looking forward to next challenge!

CW13

Switch Friend Code: SW-3787-0663-7007 | 3DS Friend Code: 0104-0625-3826 | Twitter:

OorWullie

I just started playing Samurai Aces, what a game! I think this might be my favourite Psikyo shoot-em-up now. The graphics and music and bosses are top notch and on normal difficulty the challenge is spot on. I find Strikers 1945 II to get too intense too quickly.

SW-6101-8403-1640

OorWullie

@CW13 Thanks for joining. I can add your score to the leaderboard if that's alright?It doesn't effect the top places so I'm sure everyone would be alright with that.

SW-6101-8403-1640

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic