Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 1,881 to 1,900 of 3,493

RetroGamerAndrew

@mauhlin12
that was an hell of a fight indeed! Restarted 2/3 times at the beginning because I was losing a member in the third phase, no matter what. Then I started focusing on the two add spawning at the second phase BEFORE dispatching the boss and it worked out... Then I messed up again in third phase not focusing on the two healer rabbids which costed me a few turns and a perfect clear (didn't bother to redo).
I'm by no mean a great tactician, but I've found the gameplay easy to pick up and hard to master at the same time. Oh, and did I mention I LOVE the overall mood of the game? Well I really do.

@OorWullie
I really suggest you to give this little gem some time mate, it really shines the more you go on.

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

hybridseed

@RetroGamerAndrew I'm about as far as you are into it then! One of those games that I have to savour, I love turn based strategy, and Mario games, and to have the two combined is a God send! I will buy the dlc at some point, here's hoping for an update for online battles, and a sequel πŸ˜†

Edited on by hybridseed

Switch: 5859 4845 9859

NNID: Hybridseed

PSN: odogzero

OorWullie

I was playing Steredenn earlier and was thinking just how beautiful the game can be at times. I decided to capture some action across various stages and put this video together.Its such a brilliant game.

If you haven't played it yet and like to be surprised ,probably better not to watch it.

Pixelnest and the developer both retweeted it 😊

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

Lroy

@mauhlin12 You mean, World 3 surely? That Boss Fight was hilarious plus of course Rabbid Kong in World 1. Such a great game.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Lroy

@hybridseed I'm eagerly awaiting the M+R KB DLC and would indeed love a sequel. I'm just shy of 100% the base game as it stands. Need to go back and finish up the post-campaign content.

Edited on by Lroy

mauhlin12

@Lroy I was talking about the SPOTLIIIIIGHT! boss. Yes Rabbid Kong is hilarious when you take his bananas. I want the DK DLC already...

mauhlin12

Switch Friend Code: sw-1462-2641-1823 | Nintendo Network ID: mauhlin12

Lroy

@mauhlin12 Yeah, that's what I thought. That's the World 3 Boss. @RetroGamerAndrew is approaching that one. Enjoy buddy!

mauhlin12

@Lroy Oops I should've known better I've replayed that boss a few times!

mauhlin12

Switch Friend Code: sw-1462-2641-1823 | Nintendo Network ID: mauhlin12

Lroy

@RetroGamerAndrew If you find yourself getting stuck on a particular chapter. Make sure you go back to the previous Worlds and complete the Challenge flag levels that reward you with Purple gems (?) as you can overpower your units and buy better weapons. Also be sure to find as many of the puzzle canons as possible as once you beat the timed puzzle they tend to give you stronger weapons if memory serves?

Replaying past chapters to get 'Perfect' rank is also worth it as it often allows you to build up coins for weapon upgrades.

Edited on by Lroy

hybridseed

@RetroGamerAndrew @Lroy I'm about half way through world 4, and hoping there's more after that.. I play most games spoiler free.. Like last night in Odyssey, I thought I was on the way to Metro Kingdom but that didn't happen, won't say what did happen to not spoil it for others!

I revisited world one in Rabbits and did all the bonus challenges but there's still one treasure chest I couldn't find, and have not been back to 2 or 3 so I should still have lots to do after I complete the story☺

@Lroy when's the DK dlc out bro?

hybridseed

@OorWullie Steredenn looks like a great modern shmup... loved your video and it's definitely on my to buy list... I really, really wish that Sky Force Reloaded for Switch had online leaderboards so there was actually a point to the weekend tournaments😐

Lroy

@hybridseed Spring is the only info we have apparently on the DLC for M+R KB. I had hoped it would've already of come out by now. Guess anytime between today and the last day of May? Nintendo seem to have their own idea of what months seasons actually occur πŸ˜‰

Lroy

As for STEREDENN, superb video @Oorwullie - it is definitely up with the very best modern shmups on Switch.

@Hybridseed Speaking of SKYFORCE RELOADED. I actually like that just as much as STEREDENN, if not more. I'm just gutted it has no online leaderboards. Seems really lazy to me. Why can't the devs patch it in?

Edited on by Lroy

GFoyle

OorWullie wrote:

@GFoyle Yeah like @Lroy says ,the Caravan mode was chosen to give everyone a fair chance.We could use High Score mode but then the gap in points between the best players and average skilled players will be massive , potentially putting some off from joining.Plus the 5 minute limit means it's less frustrating to have to restart. I think overall most folk are happy with it this way as more have joined up to take part.

We could also have a separate open leaderboard for High Score Mode ,I'd be fine with that .

Fair enough, I was just mainly pointing out that changing to 1cc from default because "it's more authentic" argument is kinda illogical if you think about it as caravan mode has been fine I guess for most. It just kinda left me with a bad taste when the best argument for 1cc seemed to be that it's more authentic (for some). I'm fine with the 1cc, I just think the default works better for these less serious competitions and with a lot of newcomers.

I think my biggest problem with the caravan mode is that it changes how you need to play to do get good score from how it works in the normal mode (no matter how many credits), at least in most games. Often you need to get through certain level or situation quickly enough just be able to get in time to somewhere you can get big score. I think that actually makes in bigger gap between those who are good at it and those who are not even if it doesn't show in the actual numbers.

Anyway, back to more fun topics. Mario Rabbids is great, I finished the main campaign quite quickly, couldn't put it down as it was way too addictive. I think the next DLC was supposed to be released in May?

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

GFoyle

@Lroy I have finished most of Skyforce Reloaded on my iPad first and the again on my switch. I think it's okay, almost great, but I just think it could have been much much better and that annoys the hell out of me.

The most biggest complain has been "the grind" you need to do.. I thought it was actually fun... on the first playthrough, but anymore when I had to do it for the second time. Basically at some point you need to play the same level again and again to get stars for upgrades just to be able to through later levels. It's so much about developing your ship rather than actual skill, which is fine, but not for competitive play. So to me that game doesn't make much sense for challenges in future. I have no idea how it could even work, example I think have have almost all upgrades already on the switch version... that required something like 20-25 hours of gaming time, how I could compete in this against others who might have played much less and would have much weaker ship and no change to get anywhere near same scores just because of lack of upgrades.

Anyway, I really do recommend it in general, just not for competitive play.

Edited on by GFoyle

GFoyle

Lroy

@GFoyle Yeah, that's a fair observation regarding SKYFORCE RELOADED. It is a kind of 'solo' grind campaign. But they do have the weekend tournaments that seem plain broken on Switch. Rough edges like this do take away from what is otherwise, one of the modern shooters I have found most enjoyment with.

Lroy

Totally unrelated - tonight or tomorrow UK time. We are trying to get some folks together to play ROCKET LEAGUE.

Check out the 'Adult Switch Gamers' thread for details

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/adult_swit...

And if anyone new here, doesn't know, that's the thread we tend to try and organise game nights for any Switch online multiplayer fun.

We run MARIO KART 8 DELUXE every Monday and hope to make ROCKET LEAGUE and other games like ARMS etc fixtures in the future.

Edited on by Lroy

hybridseed

@Lroy I emailed the dev (infinitedreams.pl) not long after the game's release to ask why there was no leaderboards and they replied saying Nintendo does not allow third parties to have online leaderboards in thier games, which is obviously not the case...

I have Sky Force Anniversary on ps4 and loved the weekend tournaments on that game, trying to get the UK's top score was so much fun and I just assumed that would be included in Reloaded, the game just seems incomplete and for the Switch version to be inferior is just ridiculous.

And the fact that one of the loading screens says about comparing your scores to your friends in the online leaderboards is a @Β£(<>)! joke.

Edited on by hybridseed

GFoyle

@Lroy Yeah, I didn't get those online tournament at all as you can play them with your ship as it is. So only way it makes sense is if everyone has all the upgrades... and even then those online tournament levels are boring, basically just short loop which get's more and more difficult longer you go survive. Focusing on the solo campaign makes much more sense.

GFoyle

hybridseed

@Lroy ohhh count me in for Mario Kart next Monday! I nearly bought Rocket League digitally when it was on sale a week or 2 ago but didn't as my backlog on Switch, ps4, 3ds and Wii U is ridiculous... A nice problem to have though☺

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic