Forums

Topic: What are you listening to right now?

Posts 2,061 to 2,080 of 2,111

jump

I don't hate pop-punk but I heard this and it has reminded me why I can't take it seriously!

I need to cleanse my pallet now!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

jump

@Rambler that's much better.

Last time I saw Napalm Death play the frontman injured himself at a prior show so his leg was in a cast and spent the entire gig in a wheelchair but still trying to mosh on stage though, it was very odd to watch,

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

skywake

Scraping songs from Spotify mixes, random observation. I think these two tracks are the closest I have common ground of music taste amongst my family:

And I sit right in the intersection of those two groups....

.....we won't talk about the yoofs who only listen Taylor Swift and fall outside of these consensuses

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Rambler

Ooh Dis Fig has a new collab album out, this time with The Body.
Her previous one with The Bug was excellent, as is her solo album Purge.
(Her remixes on her SoundCloud are also great, especially the one of Oklou)

For fans of extremely heavy music

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

jump

@skywake I think you're Spiderbait vid can only be view in Australia.

Hmm, that's an interesting thought on what music I like which will most closely aligns with my family's taste in music. I grew up with Aunts and Uncles who are into rockabilly and punk like Anti-Nowhere League and Cock Sparrer. I've got baby brothers who only listen to things like Post Malone and Kid Laroi. My Mum liked Madonna and Blondie. My sister mostly gravitates to what was big growing up like N-Dubz The Offspring and Gorillaz. Then I have in-laws who are into jazz but do like more garage indie-rock/punk like Iggy Pop and The Strokes. Whilst I lean more towards guitar based alt music but with the odd bits of EDM and rap here and there. So maybe Green Day and Gorillaz, not a massive fan of either but I've happily seen them live multiple times and would probably resonate with as much of the family it could without naming an act per person.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

skywake

jump wrote:

@skywake I think you're Spiderbait vid can only be view in Australia.

Boo! Even worse, if you search for that track some of the videos that come up are not that song at all. Which is fun. Maybe a live version will be a better play....

Anyways, it is an interesting exercise. To go into the depth like you did my brother generally sits around CCR/Fleetwood Mac but does venture into Johnny Cash/Steve Earle on one end and Grunge/90s Pub Rock on the other which takes us through INXS, past Nirvana/Pearl Jam and landing at around Spiderbait on the other side. His partner is into a lot of the same stuff but does wander off into Blondie/Divinyls and also NIN/Black Sabbath/Marilyn Manson

My sister mostly just listens to top 40 stuff from the 90s through to the late-00s. So everything from Aqua to Spice Girls to Black Eyed Peas, Adele, Katy Perry, Pink. But that also means we fly through Outkast and, because Australia, there's also a lot of Aussie Rock mixed in. So again, Spiderbait

My Niece listens to basically nothing but Taylor Swift these days so there's not really any common thread there. Her partner is into a lot of modern Hip-Hop so Tyler the Creator, Killer Mike, Baby Keem but also ventures into Indie/Electronica so stuff like Alt-J and maybe as far as Tame Impala. But he does also listen to Outkast so that's the most common thread

Then my parents listen to stuff that generally doesn't overlap much. My Mum doesn't actively seek out her own music but is generally open to a broad range of stuff. Probably because she's the only one in the family who's classically trained and has been formally taught music theory. I think the only music that I've heard her actively say she dislikes is.... Ed Sheeran.... which is fair. Her core taste probably lands somewhere around early-era Beatles

Then my Dad is Queen obsessed and also hasn't really moved on from the late 70s more generally. So he'll mostly listen to The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple which is an alright space to be in IMO. Unfortunately for the consensus taste though he doesn't really venture into AC/DC, Black Sabbath, The Doors etc. But yeah, not really overlapping with everyone else THAT much although... could probably squeeze Queen and maybe Pink Floyd as other common threads....

And my stuff is... in my signature. In the last year it's been King Gizzard, The Flaming Lips and a Tribe Called Quest dominating my playlists. But also Spiderbait and OutKast are right up there

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

FishyS

Cover of a song from the anime Solo Leveling from one of my favorite streamers.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

jump

@skywake I got around it by making my VPN read as Aussie, an unfortunate side effect was then my laptop called me a bogan **** and demanded a can of Fosters!

It doesn't shock me at all the people who are trained in music would hate Ed Sheeran, he's a busker with a pedal!

It was occurring to me as I was listing the bits and pieces of what I listened to and what my family listen to crosses into both of our influences. Like my Aunt & Uncles' taste in punk probably left an impression on me as a kid, so when I got into punk myself instead of listening to Blink 182 and Sum 41 the typical gateway music for kids at the time, I went straight into the more serious punk bands which in turn then exposed my younger siblings to punk. Whilst they never got into the exact same bands as me (because by mix of bohemian and hardcore isn't for everyone) they did get into the casual stuff like Green Day and The Offspring.

Then I get other influence like being a drunk little ​**** at music festivals and coming across bands like The Flaming Lips or 2manydjs which I then get into and my family knows about because I listen to them. Recently I've started taking a note of band shirts at gigs I go to as recommendations for new music, like I got talking to someone wearing a Closure In Moscow shirt and she seemed to loved them which I've been listening to for a few days. In turn as I'm playing it at home so my girlfriend was curious about them and has been listening to them too.

In any case I'm just rambling out load, ignore me.

Nicolai wrote:

DiamondCore

I decided to listen to the infamous Justin Bieber song for the first time out of curiosity

Genuinely the most awkward 3:40 minutes of my life, it’s literally the pinnacle of the “cringy 2000s teenager needs to get the girl” stereotype lmao

Anyway, as a form of whiplash, I’m now listening to a much better song now:

Edited on by DiamondCore

Pretty much inactive
-=-=-=-
Development (B)log: https://diamondcore.itch.io/monochromia-dcs
Reviews: https://letterboxd.com/diamondcore/
Currently Playing: Suprisingly, nothing.

Anti-Matter

Not gonna lie, this song was really good from 5 panels dance machine XX when I played the game for the first time and I remembered this song was my first try.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

jump

Just been creating my playlist for the summer to hype myself for the various festivals I'm got lined up. The result is a bloody weird mix spanning Stevie Nicks, Denzel Curry, KoRn, LCD Soundsystem, AC/DC, Bob Vylan, Pixies, Code Orange, The Postal Service, Queens Of The Stone Age, Mr Bungle, Sleater Kinney, Machine Head, PJ Harvey, Health and various others.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

jump

@Rambler I had originally put Rid Of Me on my playlist but then I checked Setlist.fm it appears she hasn't played it live since 2008 so I went for the safer option of Down By The Water since she's pretty likely to play. However Man Size is a good 'un plus she's been playing it on the last tour so I've switched them now.

Nicolai wrote:

jump

Mannequin Pussy have smashed it on their new album!

I've been enjoying SZA after the meltdown of her going to headline Glasto.

I've also been giving the new album by The Pretenders a listen.

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic