Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,961 to 6,980 of 7,143

Heavyarms55

@Xyphon22 This is largely it. My TV, and most TVs only have 2 or 3 HDMI ports. And though you can buy HDMI switch boxes, I have found with several devices that the HDCP content protection thing always causes periodic and inconsistent signal drops defeating the benefit of having more HDMI ports via the box.

I have 3 things plugged into my TV, my PC, my PS4 and my Switch. I don't have room for my PS3, my Wii U, my SNES Mini, my... you get the picture.

Another unpopular opinion is that I think Nintendo has the right idea with those retro controllers for Switch NSO. Allowing people who really want that classic controller feel to buy a modern reproduction is a fine idea.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

Bunkerneath

FF VIII was one of the worst FF games, especially the end part where after using Rinoa for the entire game as she is the second best Character after Zell, you cant use her as "she wasn't at the orphanage with you"

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

Anti-Matter

Meanwhile, i think FF VIII is still better than FF VII in term of gameplay, music and character design. The story of FF VIII was simple, 6 photogenic models chased for the mighty sorcerer.
The Junction System and Magic Draw were interesting for me than Materia system.
My impression for FF VIII is still 90 from 100 while for FF VII is 60 from 100.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

RedderRugfish

I wanted to like FFVIII, it had some neat ideas and mechanics. But it felt like it needed more time in development because it was extremely unbalanced and overall just a mess of a game.

There are 2 ways to play FFVIII- Without a guide, or with a guide. If you play without a guide, you'll be punished harshly for things that you'd normally be rewarded for. Stuff like leveling up and talking to certain NPCs is bad, and the game doesn't really tell you it. If you play with a guide, then you'll instantly break the game open kill bosses in one hit.

The story is a huge mess as well, there's a major plot twist every 5 minutes and eventually it gets to the point where you say "Wait, why am I in space again?" (actual quote from when I played it).

The only good thing about the game IMO is the card game, which was pretty fun, completely optional, and had good rewards for playing. But even then it wasn't perfect, and the fact that losing games means the opponent steals your best card basically means you have to reset (sure, you could rematch them to try and get it back, but that wasn't terribly practical).

I hear some people say "FFVIII is a divisive game because it wasn't what people expected. If they called it something other than Final Fantasy, it would have been much better received" And I strongly disagree. I think the fact that it has "Final Fantasy" in the name is the only reason anybody at all likes it.

Edited on by RedderRugfish

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

DarthNocturnal

I keep starting VIII, I get a little further then my last attempt, but then get distracted by games that don't use unintuitive stat boosting systems.

I feel I could eventually power through it. It's still better then II in holding my attention.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

kkslider5552000

I played it a long, looooong time ago, when PS1 was still relevant and I thought FFVII was the most amazing thing ever. And even I didn't get a lot of enjoyment out of my time with it even back then, and every time I look into the game again it just never seems that good. I had similar issues with X when I played it (at least in terms of story) but despite being more confident about X's flaws, X is certainly a better game.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Harmonie

I like a lot about FFVII, but my motivation to get through it is getting weighted down by the clunky overworld. It's not like modern open world games (obviously FFVII is not open world, but you get what I mean hopefully) where the maps are intuitive, and getting lost isn't an issue. I keep leaving towns/areas and not knowing where to go next and the overworld is just hard to navigate. The last time I played I got to the point where I was given a vehicle for the first time that allows traversing over areas we couldn't previously, and I ended up getting lost and then the vehicle ran out of fuel. I now am lost in the middle of nowhere in the world with a vehicle out of fuel that having working again may be necessary for me to progress further. sigh

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Anti-Matter

@ReaderRagfish
"If you play with a guide, then you'll instantly break the game open kill bosses in one hit."

Oh, lemme guess...
The End by Selphie.
Instant KO for All foes including Bosses, if.... you lucky enough.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Krull

I thought this was the unpopular opinions thread? If someone came on here to defend Final Fantasy VIII, that would fit the bill.

I played it back in the day, and had a pretty good time with it. I had more leisure back then, and had no issues over grinding for magic, and grew to like the junctioning system that lets you max out all your stats. Good thing too - as I had no idea enemies had level-scaling, and I'm pretty sure I got Squall to max level by the end. Still beat the game, with no FAQs or tips. I'd actually be intrigued to try it with a guide, as it's apparently a wholly different experience if you avoid enemy encounters.

I know the plot and characters take a hammering - and I didn't identify with Squall at all - but it was pretty ambitious for a late Nineties RPG. I liked it more than FFX, frankly.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589

HobbitGamer

I enjoyed Nuts N Bolts. In fact, I almost got 100% on it because I enjoyed so much of it.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@Harmonie That seems pretty standard plot development for an FF game though.
Untitled

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

I still feel VII is overrated. It was cool in its day, but it's aged SO badly, and the gameplay really just isn't that great today. Materia was great. Gameplay and controls not so much. VIII is just.....I wish I could experience the story of VIII in a way that doesn't make me prefer watching paint dry.

NEStalgia

RedderRugfish

Final Fantasy VII is one of those games that I like, but still think is overrated. It has flaws, but I have enough fun with the mechanics, battle system, and world that I'd still call it my favorite Final Fantasy.

kkslider5552000

Man, if only they could remake that game...

...would be a funnier joke 2 months ago.

(I love VII but I'm not some weird purist, especially towards the ATB system. ATB was never the best JRPG combat outside of Chrono Trigger, but that's probably because it was Chrono Trigger)

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

GrailUK

Game mechanics is how the game moves. Physics etc.

Gameplay mechanisms is usually what folk mean when they say mechanics.

Unpopular I know...but bloody correct lol.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

NEStalgia

@GrailUK In the case of FFVII the mechanisms are mostly ok, it's the mechanics that are flat broken.

@kkslider5552000 ATB wasn't great in general, but in VII the story goes to pot not long after "the incident" too.... It was amazing prior to that last portion though.

NEStalgia

RedderRugfish

FFVII's controls definitely felt a bit clunky, but the fact that you could push the select button to see little indicators to show loading zones/ladders made getting around much more manageable for me. FFVIII and FFIX controlled better, but they dropped that feature for some reason, making it even harder IMO to navigate the flat pre rendered backgrounds.

Speaking of Chrono Trigger, that's another game that I liked but still think is overrated. My main thing against it is that it just kinda feels like processed food. Doesn't really do anything really wrong, but is slightly bland and easily digestible. It's enjoyable enough for me to recommend a playthrough, but I didn't really find the battle system or gameplay mechanisms (you're welcome grail) terribly deep or interesting.

Harmonie

@NEStalgia I feel like if I played one of the newer FF's I might be able to manage it. I think my stress toward FFVII's overworld comes from the random battles (which the newer FF's don't have, I hear?) and the fact that you can see so little of the map at any time and that there's no indication of where I'm supposed to go, and the fact that I don't even know how to refuel the vehicle or if that is even possible.

I have a feeling I may just be better off playing the remake. I'm really looking forward to it, TBH.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic