Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 36,461 to 36,480 of 96,533

NEStalgia

@antdickens You might be right! Well, I'm glad it wasn't you. That's likely Damien then, which, while still depressing is definitely less surprising. His penchant for straddling the line and falling on the other side of it isn't exactly a secret around these parts

I'm left perplexed though, as I know I either posted or tagged on some article to you about it being nice seeing you do a review...which you apparently didn't do.... So, I hereby, revoke my compliment from a few months ago, which I don't remember what it was, based on getting the wrong person at the time, apparently

@Andrew_R_2000 Yeah. They keep talking about the "retail apocalypse" - and it's true. So many of the retailers are closing left and right. Nearly all the malls are likely to be torn down this decade except for a handful of "A malls" (mostly ultra luxury/tourist malls). When they do build a shopping center it's a food store and some tiny stores like cell phone stores and nail salons. But the worst part is where they close the old stores, and worse, the malls, they rebuild them with these new "mixed used" schemes of luxury apartments, offices, and some retail (a food store and a nail salon with some restaurants.) On paper they sell this to local governments as "a walkable lifestyle community for carless access to everything." The reality is what it really is is a land grab by real estate moguls during a retail slump to take as much square footage as possible and squat it with housing until the end of time, while "diversifying" all the bulk land they own so that any slump in any sector won't affect their investor value. Thus making livable life harder to make their investors safer. The problem is, the shine is going to come off online at some point. Amazon can't keep delivering every package to every door for "free" forever. Someday it will get slow or expensive, or difficult and people will want retail again. But it's never going to appear again because every square foot that used to have local retail has been converted to housing, which can't ever be removed.

The shoe story is one I can relate to! We used to have a Payless, a Kmart, and an older chain, I forget the name, around here. All gone now. I too have that "everything is Italian leather" boutique type store more oriented toward the lawyer/suit crowd locally that I'd never set foot into. And the nearest normal shoe store is Walmart at 30-45 minutes out. And a DSW about 8 minutes out from there, followed by Target a few minutes after there. But between traffic lights and all, the "extra 3 minutes" easily becomes "extra 12+ minutes." I effectively can no longer buy shoes. "No shirt, no shoes, no problem!"

I've resorted to blind-buying clothing on Amazon, and if it's the wrong size just wear it anyway. Sure you look kinda ghetto, but such is life in the great digital economy!

@ThanosReXXX Oh Asus is well known and liked in a NewEgg sort of way here...and they have tried to position themselves as premium. I just didn't think that positioning gained traction. They've always been pretty much the bog standard OEM & branded mobo maker. Good quality, yes, but the standard giant, not really a boutique product except for gaming nerds and the weird ROG branding. But it's not a "prestige brand" as a general consumer brand, still more a PC nerd/gamer kind of brand. Maybe in Europe it's more mainstream?

My personal experience, however is their non-mobo/vidcard/RAM/sound card products are kind of mediocre. I've had a few Asus tablets/laptops. They're "ok" - but the driver support/firmware support is often deplorable. Same for the ROG mobos. Acer has always been the "value" brand, but I've actually found them to be more reliable and solid, but with less features, than the more "premium" Asus products outside the core Asus product.s

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - The toy store of my youth was a Children’s Palace. It closed in the early/mid 90s. I took my daughter to TRU a few times before it closed, but it was a discombobulated mess. It was basically like shopping in a toilet. Obviously, Amazon provides accessibility, especially if you’re particular about what your kids play with. Most of the time, I’d rather buy something sight unseen there from some trusted vendors than something from what amounts to the toy sections of retail stores.

@ThanosReXXX - My current laptop is an ASUS as well as my last two prior laptops. I’m certainly no expert when it comes to laptops or PCs, but they’re functional for what I need from them, and they’re durable and last a long time. At least in my experience. If I find a product I trust, I usually just stick with it, and I’ve been using ASUS laptops for a long time.

@HobbitGamer - Awww yeah, I had a ZooBooks sub for years. Loved em. Those Smithsonian stores were great. I didn’t have one local. Smithsonian still has my favorite record label, Folkways. I loved all types of sciencey toys and games growing up. The art and teacher supply store I mentioned is loaded with that kind of stuff. My kids love it. My dad is getting them a rock tumbler for Christmas, and I’m so excited. We’re gonna tumble everything.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@jump I can understand it's hard, or questionable, to take someone's word for something online, but I never mince words, and I always say exactly what I mean, so there's no double intentions or ulterior motive here. If you don't believe or trust that, well... I'm sorry, but I can't do anything about that.

And if you had read my comment exactly as it was intended, then it should have been clear/obvious that I was simply questioning the mod, NOT you, about his request towards @NEStalgia, because he mentioned the exact topic, and discussion about Pokémon, and you literally popped up out of nowhere, addressing him about that, so to me, it would seem fair to ask both people to stop the discussion, before it got out of hand here as well, like it has done in several Pokémon related articles. So, AGAIN: it wasn't even personal or about you, simply a comparison between NEStalgia and another user doing practically the same. It just so happened to be you this time, but it could have been anyone, basically, had they addressed the same issue.

I'm actually sad that we're now even discussing this, because it's the VERY thing I tried to prevent. This is supposed to be a light-hearted thread, hence the title of it. Not a thread where we can take any running article discussion, hunt people down who casually mention it because they're wondering why it got so out of hand, and then pollute this thread by debating it further here as well, no offense.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, isn't that what I already said? Their reputation over here is apparently a heck of a whole lot better than in the US, for whatever reason, because over here, they are most definitely NOT known for making "bog standard" hardware. It's Deutsche grundlichkeit, German thoroughness/ingenuity, and it's always quality hardware, and very durable, pretty much like @bimmy-lee has also mentioned. (thanks for the addition, by the way)

But yeah, over here, they are primarily famous for their game related hardware, so laptops, screens, keyboards and what not. But all are definitely considered premium and one of the go to hardware brands for dedicated PC gamers.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee I think the last time I was in a TRU was when the N64 just came out. It was like a dream store back then. I hadn't seen it's long, slow decline, assuming it had one from executive neglect. I peered in the window a few times, debating if I should go in over the final few years (ultimately deciding not to, not because I didn't want to see it but because it's going to be a germ infested incubator ) but I kind of regret not doing so, now. From what I saw it looked the same as it did the last time I was there.....which is when the N64 came out. To me that's a wonderful thing. But everyone seems to want "new everything" these days, I guess. I'll never understand why people want everything to always be "modernized" and "new" all the time. Best toystores ever are those old 1950's ones left over when you find one on occasion. Buckets of cool stuff there!

I dunno, I love the toy department of a retailer I grew up with it I suppose.... Not much left of them, sadly. But I still walk through it whenever I do go somewhere with one. I think I still want half the toys. They have make your own crayon kits now. I want one.

Think it's a problem if I go to what little is left of the rapidly deteriorating mall and sit on Santa's lap?

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia By the way: over here, it's actually Acer that is seen as the brand for people that want a cheap, "bog standard" PC solution. Definitely not one of the worthwhile brands...

jump

ThanosReXXX wrote:

I'm actually sad that we're now even discussing this, because it's the VERY thing I tried to prevent.

If you want to prevent it stop mentioning it

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Huh. I figured they had that reputation in Asia, but didn't realize it was EU too. The whole "gaming" focus thing always seemed like over the top branding to me with mostly overclocker friendly crazy features and high price tags.

When mobo shopping I'm apt to chose them over ASRock and the rest of the crummy stuff out there, but I'll always take an Intel OEM board first! No gaming features there, but you won't find something more reliable anywhere!

That explains the disconnect though. Their Zenbooks are almost Apple expensive, and I've never quite understood why "me-too Asus" thinks they're anywhere close to a similar playing field, but always found it funny. Apparently they have a higher profile elsewhere. Acer, Asus, etc are more "quality brand name generics" than anything else (or at least were 6 or 7 years ago, I haven't really bought much from them recently.)

Also further proof of how effective marketing is at building the product more than the product itself. In one place it's an elite brand you seek on par with Samsung and the like, apparently, in another it's the kind of known-name generic.

EDIT: And yeah, Acer has that same reputation here. I just meant in my own experience, despite that, I've found they've been the more reliable/better supported one. Asus is more prone to dump and forget. Release the product, fix it later, then abandon it without fixing the rest and move on to the new product, leaving the old one a dangling broken mess, software-wise.

There's also the Asus TF201 tablet where they got the idea to put the wifi antenna behind an aluminum plate. They never remedied this, and wifi never worked right. They just sold an updated model the next year that didn't have broken Wifi. I bought one of those. Ugh!

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@jump Likewise, in regards to suddenly jumping into threads that you've otherwise hardly ever participated in, so the fact that you did feel the need to all of a sudden respond to both @NEStalgia and me is potentially kind of telling. But how about deciding to not make any more of it than it is?

I used you as an example, you apparently interpreted that as something else, for which I already said I'm sorry, but that is about as far as I'm gonna go, because other than that, nothing bad happened here, and I would hope that any grown up individual would be able to at least take (and stomach) some criticism without immediately being offended or insulted, or feeling the need to drag a useless discussion out of it.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Over here, the usual suspects far as triple A brands go are HP and Dell for the average PC user, Mac for the elitists, Google Chromebooks for the idiots and Asus or Alienware for the dedicated gamer or video editor and so on.

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Here, mostly Apple for the video editors, as well. Humbug.

The mainstream home & business ones are HP, Dell, and don't forget Lenovo. And high end business/industrial/fleet/corporate is almost entirely Lenovo Thinkpad (And for government which cut ties with Lenovo after realizing Beijing was baking the spying into the firmware, Dell & HP's Thinkpad competitor lines.)

Well, for a gamer buying a prefab system other than Asus and Alienware it's not like there's any other "gaming for the masses" brand readily available. Most gamers roll their own, and for laptops you've mostly just got those two plus MSI. I always attributed Asus gaming laptop popularity more down to the fact they're at least cheaper than Alienware than anything else

And for the 1337 there's Razer

NEStalgia

Daniel36

I had a Lenovo and I hated it. I am now a very happy owner of a Microsoft Surface. I had one from work and while it took me a while to take a liking to it, especially because of only one USB drive, it grew on me, especially since the thing boots up faster than you can blink, is completely silent and just... works...

I am very happy with mine.

Daniel36

NEStalgia

@Daniel36 I've only owned one "consumer" Lenovo, and it was, indeed a dog. But I swear by the Thinkpads, and for a serious productivity laptop machine wouldn't really buy anything else (other than Dell & HP's competitive models, but those are much more expensive than the already expensive Thinkpads.) Their ruggedness and ergonomics are really unparalleled, but it is, indeed, an expensive, commercial-oriented product line.

I second the Surface though. While my productivity is all Thinkpad, my favorite laptop I've ever had to actually use for things other than serious work is my Surface Pro. Particularly when actually using it on my lap!

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@jump Seriously? WHAT accusations? No offense, but what the heck are you translating my comments into?
I only emphasized that I had already apologized for any potential wrong-doings, AGAIN, and I suggested a gentlemen's agreement to forego continuing this discussion that's literally going nowhere, and I get finger pointing in return? (shakes head)

I think it's about high time for a long, hard look in the mirror, my dear fellow NLife member...

On a side note: you decided to jump in here and react to us, so it would seem to me that you are the one that should be listening to your own advice, instead of suggesting to others that they should stop. Instigators asking other people to stop arguing is surely the world upside down...
(which, by the way, is not "another" accusation, but simply a statement referring to what actually happened)

See where this is going? Had you never bothered to react, or be (WAY too easily) offended or whatever, for which there was also never any need whatsoever in the first place, then we would have never been where we are now, unfortunately.

So, again: shall we just leave it be now, lest we take over this usually highly enjoyable thread with more senseless negativity? Go on, be the responsible adult that I know/hope you can be...
(which is not an insult or accusation either, but just me making a bit of fun because of the ridiculousness of it all)

Thanks in advance.

@NEStalgia Ah, yes. Lenovo, forgot all about those. I've even sold their laptops once. We even used the infamous sales pitch that the keyboards had a built-in liquid drainage system, so you could spill your coffee on it, and it would STILL work...

Over here, Razer is more for peripherals than systems. And of course, dedicated gamers, heck: dedicated PC anything users might be more prone to making their own rig, but that doesn't exclude there being brands that cater to these demographics regardless. I've heard of MSI as well, but it's not something that I come across very often. Then again: I'm not a hardcore PC nut either, so that may have something to do with it as well. At least the other brands I mentioned are advertised well enough that the general public or average PC user knows about them.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

HobbitGamer

@Daniel36 A Surface is the next pc device I’ll buy, maybe in the spring. Can light gaming be done with one?

@bimmy-lee Loved a good rock tumbler

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX That drainage system is no joke! It really works! It's actually a cool design I can't believe nobody else has copied. The patent can't possibly still be valid. The trouble though is they sold the idea that Thinkpad has that feature a little too well, when not all series actually have it...

I think everywhere, Razer is more famous for peripherals, but mostly because their systems are priced in ways that makes Apple look cheap. They make some cool stuff (remember the system where every key was an OLED display?) but those prices.... And that quality control....

Here, MSI is probably equally advertised in the gaming laptop world as Asus and Alienware, which is to say if you're in the demographic you know it, if you're not you don't. They're most known for gaming laptops, though they make a lot of video cards as well, and of course some desktops. Asus is more mainstream because they are a big OEM mobo/memory mfr (I.E. HP or Dell machines may often be using Asus boards, so you'll see Asus all over, arguably on most business PCs as well) whereas MSI and Alienware are more gaming specific brands (Alienware just being Dell's gaming division.)

@HobbitGamer Define light gaming? In a word I'd say "no", but if you're talking some indie games and such you might be able to get away with "maybe a little." I wouldn't consider loading Gears or Forza, obviously....

Rock tumblers....ROCK!

Leaving, now...

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - You’re spot on with the germ infested incubator part. I took my daughter to the same TRU where I bought my 64 in high school. Somehow during that stretch of time, that particular location caught the plague. We’ve discussed a similar nostalgia for old school seedy malls, I have no issue whatsoever if you climb on Santa’s lap, provided you splash out for the pic and post it here.

@jump - I think you might be searching too hard if you feel you’re being insulted, and it’s sort of funny that you would insist on someone using the @ when you yourself don’t use them. That being said, this is a place where we sometimes crack jokes about a variety of topics, including pizza and sometimes even fanatical Pokémon people. If the latter offends you, I would suggest not peeking in on what’s going on around here.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

jump

bimmy-lee wrote:

and it’s sort of funny that you would insist on someone using an ampersand when you yourself don’t use them.

What ampersand?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

bimmy-lee

@jump - Yep, I edited ampersand to the @ symbol. What an incredible gotcha moment for you!

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Indeed it does work, that "coffee drain". I was going to mention that, but I forgot, in between juggling our conversation and the other, less pleasant one that I currently seem to find myself in, regardless of whether or not I want to...

So tiresome when people lack the comprehension skills to understand what it is you're trying to say, instead opting to seek for non-present insults and accusations...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic