Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 35,141 to 35,160 of 36,644

Heavyarms55

@ThanosReXXX I don't believe the moon landing was faked, I've watched all the various conspiracy theory documentaries I could stand and I just don't buy them. But if it did turn out to be the case, if it WAS a lie, that would be the final straw for America for me. NASA is the one thing, the one and only thing that I still have some pride in with regard to the nation of my birth. If it turned out that even that was a sham, that would be it for me, I would do everything I could to abandon my American citizenship and never return.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

Heavyarms55

@BruceCM There's a lot of different potential reasons for the Fermi Paradox. It can be a truly facinating read on all the theories people have put forward to explain it. Some of my favorites are:

1. Technological civilizations only rely on electromagnetic communications for a comparatively brief time before moving on to something we cannot yet detect, thus the brief window we could have detected them is outside the short time we have had access to the tech ourselves.

2. Civilizations have a tendency to exhaust their resources before reaching a technological point of renew-ability. In other words they burn up their fossil fuels before developing alternative sources of power.

3. We don't detect any other life because something already killed all of it, and kills any civilization that advances beyond a certain point.

4. The Zoo theory. The idea that there is a major interstellar civilization all around us with laws in place that quarantine primitive planets until they develop, on their own, to a certain point.

Feel free to add me

HobbitGamer

6. Reapers
Edit: Nevermind, that was 3

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Ryu_Niiyama

@HobbitGamer which won’t work because we have music. Send the Borg instead.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

BruceCM

Well, it gets too speculative & hypothetical if you think that way, @ThanosReXXX .... Not that I mind, as such, but it also rapidly becomes pointless I wasn't claiming to know there isn't life out there, somewhere or anything
Yeah, there certainly are some possible reasons for us not yet detecting any aliens, @Heavyarms55! As I said, just the fact they'd be hundreds or thousands of years travel away might cover it, too

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Heavyarms55

@BruceCM Indeed, and honestly the idea that there is no way to bypass the speed of light and the sheer distance between advanced civilizations could mean we may never know. There could be tens of trillions of civilizations out there, all spaced apart so much that they will never come into contact, or even discover evidence of one another. There are more galaxies in the universe than we can possibly imagine and each one has hundreds of billions to trillions of stars. As they say in The Expanse, "Space is too damn big."

Feel free to add me

BruceCM

Yeah, although it's hard to be sure just how likely intelligent life really is, @Heavyarms55 .... Especially if we're trying to think it's potentially completely unlike anything we currently know about We can't, effectively, even look very far afield, with the light-speed meaning we're also looking back in time as well
Bad enough with systems only thousands of light-years away but millions & billions, etc? Anything could have happened between then & now!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

ThanosReXXX

StephanDLW wrote:

Are we talking about extra-terrestrial civilizations here? Cool!

@StephanDLW This is the Chit-Chat thread. We talk about EVERYTHING.
Well, everything that is allowed, that is...

@HobbitGamer Yeah, I meant to say Romulans and Klingons, but for the live of me, I couldn't remember the latter, so I said Vulcans instead.

@Tyranexx Well, bless your heart for still believing in the goodness of people...

But all kidding aside: have you never noticed in any article that some people apparently rushed to the comments section to post whatever came up in their minds simply based upon the article's title? There's plenty of those individuals floating around here nowadays.

Sometimes it's also painfully evident, because they subsequently often ask questions to which the answers can already be found in the article itself, proving that they haven't read a single line of it, or in the most positive scenario only ever so lightly skimmed it, in order to speed to the comments and post their brain fart.

Another clue that they don't read is that they also often post things that one or several other users have already posted. I used to always wonder about all that, until it began to annoy me, so nowadays, I just shrug, shake my head and move on...

P.S.

Never had a Barcardi & Coke? In some regions in America, they call it a Cuba Libre, so you may have come across it at some point before. I always drink them out of the official Bacardi Mojito glass:
Untitled
Because of the distinct inner ring, it's easy to measure the parts needed to combine the cocktail.

• Two ice cubes
  • fill up with rum until the rim
  • add a sprinkle of lime, either fresh or from concentrated juice
  • add Cola (personally, I prefer Coca Cola)

You can get the glasses here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ileauxtesors-bacardi-mojito-6-Glasse...
Amazon US apparently doesn't have them, in case you're wondering why I'm giving you an Amazon UK link. But I suppose they should also be available in any large warehouse or store that sells both alcohol and the accompanying glasses. Or maybe on eBay. I haven't looked there yet.

Either way, whatever glass you use, the measurements/ratios are 1/3 rum, 2/3 Coke.

@Heavyarms55 Really? Only NASA? Personally, I'd have more pride in my family and/or myself than where I come from. I've been all over the world anyways. Born in California, traveled around Europe, and ended up living in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. I don't really feel any pride for any of my two countries, other than sometimes in sports events, but that only ever lasts for so long.

As for the moon landing: with a strong enough telescope, there's easy access to all the proof we need that man has been on the moon, and we can also "ping" the reflectors put on the moon, to gauge position and distance, so there's no question we've been there. The flag is even still there, as well as some old gear and vehicle parts, so it's VERY easy to verify.

That's why it's so stupid for all these conspirators to continue their clueless ramblings. At one point it was kind of amusing in all of its silliness, but by now it has just become blindingly stupid.

By the way, that zoo theory is a rather disturbing one. Might just as well be the technological/alien equivalent of what some people consider to be God. Except potentially not really a benevolent one, because what happens if we outgrow the stage where they consider us maintainable?

@BruceCM Well, I for one think there's just too much space, planets and galaxies to even think for a fraction of a second that we are all alone here. It was once calculated that there are more stars and planets in the galaxy than grains of sand on our beaches. I think that to believe otherwise, is short-sighted and WAY too human-superiority focused. As in: we alone are the intelligent life form in the galaxy and any and all other life forms are probably just bacteria and/or microbes.

Far as I'm concerned, for that reason alone, some people really deserve to be wiped out by a massive comet...

By the way: ALL of it is speculative and hypothetical, so there IS no other way to talk about things like these. Well, at least: not until we find any ACTUAL proof, or something or someone actually lands on our door step...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

bimmy-lee

@BruceCM @Heavyarms55 - Just curious if either of you are aware of the documentation the US Navy (or Air Force?) released earlier this year concerning UFO activity along the East coast of the US over the last seven or eight years? It appears to show multiple different aircraft moving around in a way beyond current understanding. The simple fact that the footage and documents were released leads me to think it’s not extra terrestrial, and we’re only acting as if we don’t know what these aircraft are for the purpose of political poker face; but it’s still pretty fascinating.

@Tyranexx - Oh yeah, a haunted house visit is a playground for teenage and young 20 something shenanigans. Them boys need a little liquid courage to pretend not to be scared before ultimately using their date as a meat shield to the pretend zombie.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@Heavyarms55 By the way, speaking of alien visitors: have you ever heard of the story/legend about the Utsuro Bune craft? Getting info on that should be relatively easy, seeing as you live in the country where it supposedly took place.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Yeah, at least half if not three quarters of all UFO sightings are probably secret new aircraft manufactured by the various armies around the world.

Too bad that the storming of Area 51 was called off...

NEStalgia

A few days missing and the conversation is on Klingons, 25% of UFO sightings being legit aliens, and cocktail recipes for weddings, parties, or any time!

I think I'm caught back up. We now need to theme the page in art deco.

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - That certainly seems the likeliest conclusion, and it could behoove another party to have identification on an otherwise unidentified object. Being a helpless rasslin mark, and probably part carnie myself, I follow the old adage of “whatever you saw, you were supposed to see it.”

It’s almost as if the Area 51 storm troopers suddenly all realized at once, “Wait, I don’t wanna get shot.” I want to know what’s going on there too, but bum rushing the army is a huge mistake.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Well... supposed to see... I think that could be part of it, albeit in another capacity, namely misinformation, but not so much for us ordinary people, but for other agencies/countries.

And as we all probably know by now, the models of stealth vehicles (not just planes) that have been revealed so far, are either already taken into production, meaning they're not all that much of a secret anymore, or they are concepts not even elaborated on/never been taken into production.

Much like how any console manufacturer is already thinking up the next console once the current model rolls off the production line, army's, air forces and navy's all around the world will be conceptualizing newer models of weapons and vehicles all the time, with tech and materials that we laymen may not yet be familiar with, but that does not mean that they're alien.

As for the cancellation of the storming of Area 51: people have just become complacent and/or more easily scared off. Sure, quite a few people would get killed, but if (like reported in online fora) there would really have been over a million people going there all at once, they would have never been able to stop all of them, not even with the army, unless they'd start bombing the place, which would seem highly unlikely, since it would also damage their own secret base.

To put this in the right perspective, just think about the storming of the Bastille during the French revolution: at the time, it was the most heavily fortified prison, the guards were well armed, and the national guard even tried to intervene, but all to no avail, because there were just too many people storming the place.

And of course, different times, less destructive weaponry and what not, but still.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Found something else to keep you busy, just in case you don't like us going all ancient astronaut theorist...

Oh, and for variation's sake:

And in case you were wondering: yes indeed, I found myself getting side-tracked by these on YouTube. But in this case, I actually didn't mind so much...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I didn't have time for all the google ones yet, but that last one is the winner. Physics toys were always my favoritest things....they always mesmerized me...they still do, apparently. I could get lost in science rooms at places with those kind of gadgets. And so many of these things are things I haven't seen in ages! That was a great find!

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

...I know I'm getting dragon quest but geez Fire Emblem is getting good. I know I lost about 14 hours of my life this weekend to this game.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, if you liked that one, then you may want to visit that channel, because I saw at least another 4 videos in that series from the same poster. And agreed. Always enjoy these weird contraptions.

I especially liked the white honeycomb contraption, or whatever it was, that kept changing shape depending on which side you looked at it, and also the two metal rings with the metal ball slowly going through them. Probably magnetic or something.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic