Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 25,961 to 25,980 of 96,538

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I'm not sure sarcasm actually translates to Asia well. Not sure about @anti-matter in Indonesia, but in Japan, sarcasm/irony as a concept doesn't really exist. There's a word for it. They're aware of it as a concept. But they don't really have it, don't really use it, and don't really get it when used. It's just contextually non-existent there. And it would get pretty blank stares if used. I believe the same is true of China.

Of course I'm sarcastic as heck so that's a bad time....

@ReaderRagfihs "Guess who just narrowly avoided being in the middle of a 4 car pile up?"
Benedict Cumberbatch?

NEStalgia

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia I loved my 2000 Cherokee because it was a boxy tank. My current '98 Dakota is great, but I'd love an old F-100 or Chevy Cheyenne

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Eel

To be fair saying "That's a cautionary tale" when being shown a picture the winner of a big beauty pageant is kind of ironic. It's totally fitting to remind the person she won the constest. Sarcasm or not.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

HobbitGamer

@Delibheel Yah, I meant the humorous picture of the gentlefolk showing how large the hands on her waist was in comparison. As in, be cautious not to squeeze tightly.
Do beauty pageants still have all the other scoring categories besides beauty? or is that just those 'Miss' pageants.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

HobbitGamer

Yeah, I'd heard that.

#MudStrongs

1UP_MARIO

I’m a father of 4 and I would never want anyone one of my children watching these shows especially my daughters.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia There isn't much difference between a broken or a bruised rib, pain-wise. Except of course if the broken rib went inside and is poking into your lung. Mine is almost completely broken, but still hanging on some filaments of muscle, tissue or whatever, so that and the other ribs are more or less holding it in place, for now. So, provided I don't get smashed into something else before it heals, I'm good.

As for our Asian friend and the concept of sarcasm: in his case, it's more than just that, of course. Besides his not quite perfect English language skills (which in and of itself already make word jokes all but impossible), he of course also has to deal with his autism, and that's already a big deal having to cope with in your own language, let alone trying to understand cryptic and/or sarcastic remarks in another language...

@ReaderRagfihs Well, I guess that in that case, you might just have potentially escaped also having a broken rib or two, so must have been an angel on your shoulder...

@Delibheel I interpreted the cautionary tale bit more as in: "wow, that girl is WAY too skinny", and in fact she is. It's no small wonder that a lot of people get into trouble with their own weight, because they think that they should also have a "perfect" fashion model body...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Eel

Yes. That’s part of the irony.

“She is too skinny, that’s not healthy” -> “she actually won the beauty contest”.

A motive of concern becomes a desirable trait in the limited scope of the story.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NEStalgia

@JackEatsSparrows Beauty pageants are about talent. Playboy is for the political analysis. Playstation is "for the gamers."

Ever watch cattle judging? It's fun, they measure the dairyness of the mammary glands, genetic profile, essentially, for milk production, structure of the leg to hip ratios in terms of weight bearing and breeding potential, musculature, meat potential.

Same thing.

Except the "miss" organization that forgets why ratings exist at all and that their show and Senran Kagura share the same audience, and now want to change the tone of the show so that it's not about looks, looks are removed from the show, and it's all about talent and intellectualism. If you've invested or placed advertising budget with them, SELL SELL SELL!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Ehm... that would be "for the players", except lately, they themselves have apparently forgotten the L...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX LOL! Paystation: For the payers.

Much easier than trying to pronounce 'r's in Japan.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia But don't attach your credit card details to your Sony account. You may never know how quickly that data ends up in the wrong hands...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX 1 year, 114 days.

Oh, you weren't asking how many days? Been there, done that, learned the hard way, opened a Paypal account.

NEStalgia

BenGrimm

Just took a trip over to Push Square to have a read and look around, now I’m off for a very long shower and a cup of tea jeez.

BenGrimm

Anti-Matter

Phew...
I have awaken from my sleep.
It's almost 3 am in my place.
Yaay...
I still have 2 hours to go before watching the Direct.

Anti-Matter

SheldonRandoms

Hopefully i'll be able to watch the direct since....
Untitled

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

Anti-Matter

1UP_MARIO wrote:

I’m a father of 4 and I would never want anyone one of my children watching these shows especially my daughters.

LOL 😆
I like to watch America's Next Top Model series and also Britain's Next Top Model. 🤓
ANTM cycle 13, 15, 7, 20 were my favorite cycles to watch especially cycle 20 took a destination on Bali (Indonesia) as international travelling. 🤓

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

SheldonRandoms wrote:

Hopefully i'll be able to watch the direct since....
Untitled

Customer : Is this the Krusty Krab ?
Patrick : NO! THIS IS PATRICK...!!!

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX @Delibheel
Actually about Ann Ward from ANTM cycle 15....

Watch on 32:00.
From Episode 2 of ANTM cycle 15, there was another contestant Anamaria had very skinny body that made the judges concerned, even Diane von Fürstenberg said if someone was not healthy they will lost their beauty. You can see if Anamaria was too skinny than Ann Ward. Ann was skinny but she was very tall (6'2") so her skinny body was natural, while Anamaria was too skinny until you can see her ribs.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic