Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Book Club

Posts 541 to 560 of 584

Rambler

King Kong Theory by Virginie Despentes. Excellent so far

Rambler

XandertheWise

just started reading Hunters of Dune the other day. so far its decent. kind of better than Heretics and Chapterhouse but not totally better.

still cant tell who's the good guys and who the bad guys are supposed to be

XandertheWise

mcmicken

Have been making more of an effort to read the past 2-3 years, try to read 12 in a year varying between fiction and non-fiction so might start lurking here looking for recommendations!

Recently I generally veer towards fantasy and my main series has been Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive which I'm now up-to-date with so exploring a few others. Read some Gabrielle Zevin, Fonda Lee, Joe Abercrombie and a couple of Yahtzee Croshaw's in the past year or so. I was also a fan of Scott Lynch's Gentleman B*stard books but I've kinda lost hope of the next one coming since it's been over 10 years...

I've got some on my Kindle app on the phone (usually non-fiction/self-help stuff) but I generally prefer physical books and visiting small bookstores. What are folks' preferences? Physical or eBooks?

mcmicken

Eel

Ah right. I finished The Goblet of Fire and started The Order of the Phoenix. Globlet of Fire was still nice and fun for the most part.

I believe this is the point in the story where things get somewhat heavier. Beginning with the fact Harry is a bit of an angsty brat right off the start and the ministry just went full-on muggle levels of corrupt.

It’s also the longest book in the series by a long shot. Welp.

———————

Edit: I’m now done with Order of the Phoenix, and Half Blood Prince as well. These are going by fast- which surprises me since they’re not that short.

Order of the Phoenix remains the heaviest one so far… with the unmeasured teen angst, feelings of injustice, and overall sadness.

Half Blood Prince was somewhat of a return to the feeling of the previous entries… Harry is less of a brat and most of the miasma of dread is put in the background to make room for some extra funny moments, teenage romance plot lines, and private exposition sessions with Dumbledore.

Of course I know the major plot points, so the big plot twist wasn’t quite as impactful as I’m sure it would, had I read it before watching the movies, but still… even with that, the sixth book is a breezier read nonetheless (compared to book five).

Now I’ll probably slow down and pace myself to read Deathly Hallows without binge reading it.

———————

Welp I went and binge read the final book as well. Now I’m a little sad because these were supposed to last me a good portion of the year… but hey I suppose that means I liked them.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

moomin

i just started gravity's rainbow

There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the faults of his feet.

Rambler

moomin wrote:

i just started gravity's rainbow

I think the best thing to do with that book is not to try and follow the plot. It's incredible, but very very mad.

Rambler

moomin

i read the first 250-something pages a few years back but got to a point where i paused mid-sentence realizing 'i havent absorbed anything in like ten chapters' and put it down. pynchon's flow is immaculate though. the first 50 pages go by like a breeze

Edited on by moomin

There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the faults of his feet.

Mallow9623

I'm revisiting the Amulet graphic novels by Kazu Kibuishi right now. I haven't been able to get my hands on book 9 yet because it just came out, but I am super excited to read it!

Mallow9623

OctolingKing13

@Mallow9623 WAIT BOOK NINE IS OUT IVE BEEN WAITING FOR YEARS YASSSSSSS

Taylor from Blank Space was my old pfp if anyone gets confused. this is tay from he latest album
I LOVE OCTO SHOT REPLICA
cats are the best

Mallow9623

Yessir! It's called Waverider

Mallow9623

card-crunch78

In honor of the late Akira Toriyama, I picked up a three-in-one of the first three volumes of the original "Dragon Ball" at Barnes & Noble.

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Ryu_Niiyama

Just started Finnegan’s Wake. I don’t know why, I hate stream of consciousness as a narrative device (seriously william faulkner scarred me for life) but whew this is horrible.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Rambler

@Ryu_Niiyama is that Benji's sections in The Sound and the Fury?

I've not read Finnegan's Wake, but Ulysses and Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man are both incredible.

Rambler

Rambler

I bought the complete works of Katherine Mansfield a little while ago, so am going to get stuck into that, as well as getting further into Journey to the East by Hesse

Rambler

AnVold

Just got Robert E. Howard horror stories book and collected works of Ambrose Bierce
Untitled

Edited on by AnVold

GOIDA!
I hear ZOV.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1060-2447-4147 | 3DS Friend Code: 1092-0244-9690 | My Nintendo: Sunstrider

Ryu_Niiyama

@Rambler Yep. Sound and the Fury almost killed my love for reading. I still can’t read it a third time to this day.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

DipperMisterioPines

I am reading a graphic novel called "Marble Season". It is about the life of the 60s Latino childen in the US. Spanish speaking people from the different countries are very diverse. Thus Mexican, European, Colombian, Cuban and Argentine people have bigger problems Understanding each other than British and American people have.

¡No tengas una vaca, chamo!

My Nintendo: ÉlTioFrame

CaleBoi25

The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt

SplatComp

Don't tell the me moon is shining;
show me the glint of light on broken glass.
-Anton Chekhov

Sorry, I can't stop changing my PFP!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3225-4369-7994 | My Nintendo: CaleBoi25

Lazz

I've been re-listening to the Stormlight Archive books by Brandon Sanderson, as Stormlight Book 5 is coming out later this year. Currently on Oathbringer. About 2 years ago I was encouraged to get into the Cosmere and started with the Mistorn books, and have since read/listened to everything that is in the Cosmere collection. All are excellent.

Nick

XandertheWise

finished the last pages of Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters earlier tonight.

this month I'm going to be busy with Stephen King's Needful Things which I still have for paperback along with reading Wheel of Time Book 9 for the first time

XandertheWise

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic