Forums

Topic: Mega Man 4, 5, and 6: Mixed opinions?

Posts 201 to 220 of 233

MegaStoneSmash91

@Chicken_Brutus Those dolphins were a pain the first few times I played the game, I kept getting hit and missing the letter. Luckily, Wave Man's stage isn't too terribly long or difficult, so going back for it isn't too bad.

@Tasuki You can revisit stages in MM4. MM2 & 3 are the only games where you can't reenter the Robot Master levels.

MM5 does have a few neat gimmicks, most notably Gravity Man's stage. Wave man's stage is an odd one because of the setup. In the first part of the stage there are no enemies to destroy, there are only stage hazards to avoid. All the enemies are in the Jet Ski portion (save for a turret enemy right before the boss shutter). Star Man's stage has the high jumping physics, but that's been done in water levels before (except now it's in space). The other stages are basically just standard stuff, progress forward while defeating enemies in order to reach the boss.

Oh, and here's a little more evidence of how easy it is to get extra lives in the game:
-I have only heard the "game over" tune once, and that's only because I was curious and looked it up because I had never heard it
-Last time I was in Stone Man's stage, I must have gotten at least 10 1-ups just from destroying enemies
-Once when I was in Star Man's stage, I got three 1-ups in a row by defeating the same type of enemy. I destroyed one, it gave me a 1-up. I destroyed the next one, and it gave me a 1-up. I destroyed a third one, and it gave me a 1-up! (it was those little cannons that pop out of the floor when you get close to them)
-I once got 2 1-ups from just one of those Mets that splits up into 3 little ones when you shoot it

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

Tasuki

Lol thats funny about the 1-ups. Just out of curiosity was that in the original on NES or the AC on Gamecube? I am just wondering cause I really didnt get that many 1-ups to drop when I played MM5.

I also forgot that you can go back to the robot masters level in MM4 as well.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

MegaStoneSmash91

It was on the NES, but I'll have to play the AC version and see if something similar happens.

By the way, did you beat 5 & 6? I know you're playing 7 now so if you haven't don't worry. Oh, and did you play the 8-bit version of 7 very much? I know the controls are a problematic situation, but it is a must play. You can also check on the 8-bit version of 8 as well, since they have beta tester videos on Youtube, if you're interested. Here's a video of the 8-bit Grenade Man stage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBDnwl6q1BU&feature=related I think it's progressing nicely.

Beep.
That is all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0896-8068-4007 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-2791-1985 | Nintendo Network ID: MegaStoneSmash91

Tasuki

@MegaStoneSmash91: No I never did beat MM5 I kept dieing in Wilys castle and was getting aggervated so I took a little break from it. I started MM6 the other day and got to Mr. Xs castle but I got tired and stopped for the night. WHen I started MM7 the other night I was too tired to mess around with Mr, Xs castle in MM6 so I just did a few of the robot masters in MM7.

I havent had a chance to go back to any of them since I just got Mafia II the other day and I have been playing that when I have some free time. Looking to get back to them here soon but I just have to find the time lol.

My Backlog

MegaStoneSmash91

You keep dieing, huh? Well, when all else fails, put the game on easy mode ! Maybe not though....

But don't forget about poor old Mega Man, that's exactly what those Mobsters want you to do .

Beep.
That is all.

Tasuki

Lol No I wont forget about Megaman its just with Megaman once I start I dont want to stop so I have to devote at least 2 hours to a MM game especially if its any of the other Megamans than 2 or 3. Those 2 I can usually breeze through in an hour or less. Which I did last night with MM2.

I dont think we talked about these alot but whats your take on the 2 arcade games included on the AC??

My Backlog

MegaStoneSmash91

I consider them to be fun little distractions. They aren't as good as the actual Mega Man games, but they're kind of a neat. Fighting classic Robot Masters with updated visuals and sound is a real treat. They do wear a bit thin if played too often, but they're good every once in a while. They even have some of the Complete Works music in there, as well as some new remixes of other songs. My favorite part of the games is fighting all the Robot Masters, and when I reach the Wily bosses I usually stop playing. They just aren't as much fun to fight as the RMs.

As for the rest of the extras on the Gamecube version of the AC, nothing is really all that great except for the interview. The art pieces and sketches included are a disgrace compared to what's in the Mega Man: Official Complete Works art book. Most of the special music remixes aren't that good, and why did they choose Plant Man's theme to remix when there are better tunes? I can barely tell it's even his theme, anyway. And the Atomic Planet credits are basically useless (although there is some nice artwork shown in the background).

It's too bad the PS2 and XBox versions are superior. The Gamecube (or Wii) is the system out of the 3 I'd rather play these games on, and it has the worst version of the game (it's still an excellent collection of games and extras, but the other versions are better).

Beep.
That is all.

Tasuki

Yeah I know what you mean about wearing thing after playing them too much, I like the fact that they are two players which is kinda neat. I wish that they would make two player Megaman game one player Megaman the other Protoman kinda like NSMBW. I think that would be fun as heck. But yeah they are a fun little distraction in all I wish that they would have included Megaman Soccer as an extra that would have really made my day.

I never did play the PS2 or the Xbox version I know that my brother had the PS2 version cause he never had a Gamecube, and bought it after I bought the Gamecube version. I never got to see him play it so I couldnt compare the versions. But truth be told extras and stuff like that really dont mean that much to me, I mean its kinda a neat little treat but I buy games for the games themselves. Which system offers the better extras dont really mean anything to me.

My Backlog

MegaStoneSmash91

I never played the PS2 or XBox versions either, but I know they are better from what I've read about them. It's not the extras that make them better, it's a few other more important things. The PS2 version does not have reversed controls, the fire button is still fire, and jump is still jump. The PS2 version also includes the Complete Works remixes, but I suppose that's kind of an extra (I'd consider it a plus though). The XBox version also has the remixed music, as well as fully customizable controls (possibly making it the best of the 3). And the music in MM7 sounds more like the original in these versions. They each have slightly different assortments of extras, but it's mostly the same as the Gamecube version.

Beep.
That is all.

Tasuki

Wow thats interesting now I really wonder why the buttons are reversed for the Gamecube version if the PS2 doesnt have that problem. And since they did reverse the buttons on the GC why didnt they put the customizable controls in the GC like they did the Xbox, Now see if I knew that I would have probably bought the PS2 version instead of the GC version. Now I know why when I complained about the buttons being switched to my brother he said that he didnt notice it!

So does either the PS2 or the Xbox version have the good ending to MM7?

My Backlog

MegaStoneSmash91

The buttons were probably reversed because of that big shiny green A-button. "Why make the main button of the game that tiny little red one? No one will want to shoot with that, lets make fire that big important looking green one." (at least, that's what I personnaly think they were doing). And not having customizable controls? I don't think anyone knows why they didn't have those in there. Clearly, it was a bad decision.

And to my knowledge, none of the versions have the Mode 7 animation in the MM7 ending, since it was the fault of the developers (Atomic Planet Entertainment, I think) who apparently could not emulate the effect correctly. Never know though, I've been wrong before.

Beep.
That is all.

Tasuki

Lol that would make sense with the big green A button but they could have at least added the button mapping option like they did in the Xbox version. Oh well.

Since we are on a Megaman topic, Have you ever played the MM Zero series I am thinking of picking it up on the DS so I have something to play on my bus rides to work.

My Backlog

MegaStoneSmash91

Never touched the Zero games, so I can't say much about them. I've watched playthroughs of them on Youtube, but for some reason I don't think I'd be interested in playing them. I'm not sure if it's because of the somewhat altered Mega Man play style, the ranking system, the large amounts of text bubbles, or the difficulty. I do know that a lot of the bosses have really stupid names, which isn't really important. I guess they just don't interest me, but I might give the games a go eventually. Have you ever seen or played the games? I can't really recommend them or anything, since I haven't played them.

On another note, I finally beat Mega Man 7! It took 3 Energy Tanks and a Weapon Tank to beat the Wily capsule, but Wily is down for the count (until MM8 anyway). The ending was pretty satisfying, and the Mode 7 animation was cool. Mega Man looked so awesome walking away from Wily's burning fortress. Now I have to beat it on the AC to see how it's ending is.

Edited on by MegaStoneSmash91

Beep.
That is all.

Dezner

MegaStoneSmash91 wrote:

Now I have to beat it on the AC to see how it's ending is.

A very boring black screen with text scrolling.

Also, play the Zero games!

Wii: 6882-4334-4721-0727 --- PSN: OrangeGouf --- XBL: Orange Gouf

Uguu!

Twitter:

Tasuki

@MegaStoneSmash91: No I havent played the Zero series nor have I even seen them but I have heard alot of people jumping up and down about them so I figured I give them a shot. Congratulations on beating MM7! That must have been some battle to have to use all of those tanks. In the next few days I am hoping to find that out.

@Dezner: I figured that with the ending thats why I am going to have to hunt down me a SNES and a copy of MM7 one of these days so I can see the good ending.

My Backlog

MegaStoneSmash91

Hmmm...the only thing I hear about the Zero games is the high difficulty. I don't hear anything about the music, the bosses, or the endings like with the other Mega Man games. Maybe I just need to hear more praise for the series before I try it out.

And I played MM7 on the AC for a while today, and like the other games, I have some complaints. But, really, it's a lot of little things dealing with the music that you wouldn't notice unless you played the original game. I guess it might not be worth going into more detail, since that's about the gist of it. I did notice a couple other things, but nothing real important.

Beep.
That is all.

MegaStoneSmash91

Has anybody played the other Mega Man spin offs such as Battle Network, ZX, or Star Force? I have no intrest in those games, I'd just like to know how they stack up with Classic Mega Man, and if they're any good.

Beep.
That is all.

Dezner

I need to get back to playing ZX, I somehow got distracted and played something else at the time. I have the first Star Force games, but I haven't even opened them. Maybe someday when I finish the Battle Network series....probably never since I'm only on the third one.

Wii: 6882-4334-4721-0727 --- PSN: OrangeGouf --- XBL: Orange Gouf

Uguu!

Twitter:

Tasuki

The Battle Network games to me just looked like Megaman meets Pokemon so they never really interest me enough to look into them. Never heard of the ZX series or the Star Force series.

(Sorry for the late response I have been outta town camping the past few days).

My Backlog

MegaStoneSmash91

I believe things like Battle Network and Star Force just strayed away from the norm. Mega Man is about platforming and shooting, so the X series and Zero series are still faithful to the Classic series in that respect (although there's more to them than that). Those three versions of Mega Man are still the best use of the Blue Bomber's name. Battle Network, NT Warrior, Legends, and Star Force are spin-offs, and that's all they'll ever be. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure where I was going with this thought anyhow , so I'll just bring up some other topic.

If you had to pick just one song from each game in the Classic series that was your favorite, what would they be?
Mine are:
MM1- Cut Man's stage
MM2- Quick Man's stage
MM3- It's a tie between Snake Man, Spark Man, and Top Man's stages (I just can't pick one)
MM4- Dust Man's stage
MM5- Star Man's stage (the Wily theme is an honorable mention)
MM6- Flame Man's stage
MM7- Freeze Man's stage
MM8- Tengu Man's stage (Playstation version)
MM9- Plug Man's stage
MM10- Solar Man's stage

Maybe I should have asked what your favorite Robot Master song is. Then again, I tend to enjoy the RMs music more than the fortress stage's tunes. Maybe we could just make 2 lists? Or maybe 3?

Beep.
That is all.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.