Forums

Topic: Japan Discussion

Posts 281 to 300 of 843

RR529

On NHK newsline, they showcased a news story about Story 3/11, a series of accounts from survivors of last year's disaster compiled in Manga form. Many of the survivors who contributed to the project said that it makes them feel better to get their stories out.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Lan

Other than video games, I like Japanese mixed martial arts and Maximum the Hormone

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

RR529

Begin Japanology was on today. The subject was the Shamisen, a Japanese, three stringed, Guitar-like instrument.

The instrument originated in Okinawa nearly 500 years ago, where it was influenced by similar instruments imported from China.

It's most well known for it's traditional use within Kabuki and Bunraku theatre. It was also a favorite of traveling monks, thanks to it's portable nature (the instrument is designed to be taken apart into small parts for travel). After the Meiji revolution, it became popular as a family instrument, since it was cheaper than western alternatives.

They highlighted the inspirational life story of a popular professional shamisen player. He has a visual disability, but that actually helped him master the instrument. They also highlighted a small time Japanese-American rocker, who is trying to introduce the instrument to rock. They finished out by saying over the past ten years, the instrument has become a larger part of grade school music programs in Japan (trying to introduce traditional music to the nation's youth).

Pretty interesting episode.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

HADAA

It's shamisen

3DS friend code: 0989 1737 4397

Twitter:

Hokori

Found a phrase lesson thing on YouTube that has 36 lessons that I've seen and has this lady (Konomi) who teaches you stuff, I'm really enjoying it, I hope I learn what I need from it, everyday I feel myself getting closer, but still find myself too far away

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

RR529

J-Melo was on tonight! BENI & Crystal Kay were the featured musicians tonight.

BENI was first up. She sung "Kiss Kiss Kiss" (which I liked), and then "Ti Amo" (which I loved. In English).

Crystal Kay was next. She sung "Superman" (which I liked), and "Forever" (which I liked).

They ended up singing together with "You've Got A Friend" (which was pretty good. In English). While they've known each other since they were young, this was the first time they've officially sung in collaboration.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Magikarp3

I keep seeing BENI come up here and there, since she does English covers of lots of Japanese songs. Her English isn't bad and the translations are usually pretty good. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3OXOYEZUkk

I still like the original a little more though :L

Edited on by Magikarp3

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

RR529

oiiopo wrote:

I keep seeing BENI come up here and there, since she does English covers of lots of Japanese songs. Her English isn't bad and the translations are usually pretty good. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3OXOYEZUkk

I still like the original a little more though :L

Thanks! I'll check that out the next time I go to YouTube (currently on my 3DS, so I can't use your link immediately)!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

I had some things to do today, so unfortunately I missed Itadakimasu! Dining With the Chef today.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Tokyo Fasion Express was on tonight. The subject is how "subculture" has effected fasion in Japan.

They briefly touched upon cosplay, where someone dresses up & acts like their favorite character from anime/games.

They then went into a newer trend, anime-Inspired fasion for adults (clothes with more subtle nods to anime/games). They showcased a shop centered around Gundam influenced apparel, then a shop centered around Neon Genesis Evangelion apparel. Some of the clothes showcase their theme pretty clearly (such as a character graphic tee), while others are much more subtle (almost hidden). For example, the buttons on your otherwise normal dress shirt might have a little logo from the series designed into them. One tropical themed pair of shorts lacks any sort of viewable images, but the colors (green leaves & purple flowers on a black background) are the same as one of the mechs in NGE.

According to an expert, subculture boundaries are breaking down (contemporary fasion is being influenced by the "subculture" fasion).

They also covered the very popular school uniform fashion. There are lots of shops specializing in high end school uniform fasion popping up. The trend is widely popularized by the music group, AKB48.

In the end, they visited a shop more generically influenced by anime/games (lots of bright neon colors, but nothing connected to a particular IP).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Watched a movie today (Akira), so I missed today's episode of Journeys in Japan.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Hokori

It's ok Akiras awesome

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

RR529

Imagine-Nation was on Tonight..

They started out talking about the Metal Gear 25th anniversary in which a Hollywood movie was announced to be in the works. They touched upon MGS Social Ops, the new casual game, along with MGR Rising, the new PS3 game. They also showcased the new Fox Engine.

Then they talked about HAKAIJU, a horror manga. It is about hoards of demons that arise after major earthquakes, and have overrun the cities of Tokyo, Kyoto, & Odaiba. The main character is a high school student who escapes with a few of his classmates, and they now have to survive. The stories are much more violent than your typical Shonen manga, but that shock value has only increased it's popularity (sales propelled to over a million copies). It's popularity has grown large enough, that a live-action adaptation is in the works.

For tonights Creator's Interview, they talked to Yuta Sukegawa. He works for SHIROGUMI INC. His formal work is as a computer graphic & video artist in movies, commercials, & music videos, but in his free time he makes short films, such as the acclaimed The Light. He has won an award in Animefest Zagreb.

Also, @oiiopo, I finally got around to listening to that BENI link you posted. Good stuff!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

J-Melo was on tonight! It was a Viewer Special. David Specter was the special host (hey! he was the subject of Begin Japanology a few weeks ago!).

The first fan request was Namie Amuro. First they showed a montage of recent music videos of hers, then they showed the full music video of "In The Spotlight (Tokyo)".

They said that France has the fastest growing population of people who enjoy Japanese music (and culture overall). They said that this year's "Japan Expo" in Paris was the largest yet.

They showed part of Momoiro Clover Z's performance at the expo. They sung "Otome Senso" (girl war).

They showcased one of Japan's classic pop stars, Hideki Saijo. He sung "Kizudarake No Laura" (wounded Laura), a song from 1974.

They then showed a music video montage of various recent releases (from various artists).

Their final was an interview with Kurei & Iseki (the backups for May J, a musician & usual host of J-Melo). They ended up with a music video of "LIFE", a song of theirs.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Itadakimatsu! Dining with the chef was a repeat today.

It's the episode where they made wings.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Journeys in Japan was on today! The Aizu region in western Fukushima was visited.

They covered local business' & practices. A salt factory, where they harvest salt from spring water, a Geta sandal craftsman, the history of local cuisine, and Naginata practice (a type of martial art).

They also covered the history of Mt. Bandai, a volcanic mountain in the region.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Hokori

I gotta get a job and stop buying so many games... After I get the WiiU I will buy games less and try to save up my money to move to Japan, I'm guessing 10 thousand is what I'll need to start

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

RR529

Yeah, Protesters are trying to storm the Japanese embassy in China, and all Japanese businesses have had to temporarily shut down their operations in China (protesters have tore up Japanese car dealerships for example, busting windows and flipping vehicles).

It's not a pretty sight.

I don't think we're supposed to be talking politics, though...

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Imagine-Nation was on tonight! It wasn't a repeat, but a recap of themes from past episodes. They re-covered Robotics; Notes (game), Wolf Children (anime film), and Library Wars (anime film).

Also had some new info on the recapped themes, such as how well the movies performed in theaters, ect.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.