General Discussion Forum

Topic: Japan Discussion

Showing 261 to 280 of 831

AuthorMessage

RR529

261. Posted:

oiiopo wrote:

Just throwing this here (not sure if it'd fit as well in the music thread) . Could someone recommend some good J-Rock? Something along the lines of this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnf5-qg91B0. J-rock's been a breath of fresh air for me, since it shakes up modern rock just enough to be familiar but still interesting. Also, check out how ordinary the lead singer looks! If I saw him on the street I would never guess that he could fill concert halls.

Maybe you could try SuG, Versailles, or Kodomo Band. They're some more rock centered bands I've seen perform on J-Melo.

One song I like (from Kodomo Band) is Tokyo Dynamite.

Currently Playing:

Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Summoners War: Sky Arena (AND)
Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Bankai

262. Posted:

AKB-48 :D All the J-music you'll ever need.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

RR529

263. Posted:

Does anyone know what's up with the Takeshima Islands? From what I've heard, they're dispited between Japan & South Korea, and it's been flairing up lately. I guess the Japanese PM sent the South Korean president a letter saying that he hopes they can resolve the issue peacefully, but the SK president refuses to even aknowlage the dispute, and in an unprecedented move, refused the letter and sent it back..

Begin Japanology was on today. They interviewed Dave Specter, an American who is a big name in Japanese TV.

He said he's glad that anime & J-pop is popular as-is in the west, but he loves trying to bring over more uniqe Japanese shows to western audiences (both at home, and in his office, he has TVs lined on his walls, so he can catch new programming).

He self learned Japanese in elementary school to impress a Japanese student, and in middle school, he started to read manga. As a testament to how deep and complex the Japanese language is, he says he still learns new words to this day.

During the earthquake in 2011, he appeared on U.S. station "MSNBC", and has since put effort into raising awareness for the victims.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Bankai

264. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

Does anyone know what's up with the Takeshima Islands? From what I've heard, they're dispited between Japan & South Korea, and it's been flairing up lately. I guess the Japanese PM sent the South Korean president a letter saying that he hopes they can resolve the issue peacefully, but the SK president refuses to even aknowlage the dispute, and in an unprecedented move, refused the letter and sent it back..

Yeah no. Firstly, you could quite easily write a book about that dispute, and politics discussions are banned on these forums.

Sorry, bud.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

265. Posted:

yeah... you'll want to do your own research on the topic, RR. Wikipedia is a decent place to start.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

RR529

266. Posted:

^OK then, I just never really heard of it before, so I thought it was larger than it is (apparently it's been disputed for ages).

Guess I'll find other things to talk about.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

267. Posted:

oiiopo wrote:

Just throwing this here (not sure if it'd fit as well in the music thread) . Could someone recommend some good J-Rock? Something along the lines of this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnf5-qg91B0. J-rock's been a breath of fresh air for me, since it shakes up modern rock just enough to be familiar but still interesting. Also, check out how ordinary the lead singer looks! If I saw him on the street I would never guess that he could fill concert halls.

You my friend need a taste of one of my favorite bands ever, Asian Kung-fu Generation. Their music actually varies from J-rock all the way to indie rock. (and the occasional heart warming song here and there.) They're mostly known for their anime opening hits and that saddens me. Some of their best songs are the ones that weren't used for animes. Check'em out if you're in search of J-rock. SID is another fantastic band that has some good J0rock songs. I think they do more J-pop though.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

Hokori

268. Posted:

^SID did USO right? I like that sng from FMAB

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

GuardianKing

269. Posted:

@OtakWiiU Yes they did. Also, excellent english fan dub here:

Here's an excellent fan dub of Ai no Uta, from Pikmin.

My Neopet.
NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage

Hokori

270. Posted:

I don't like fan dubs :( the subs are awesome :)

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

Magikarp3

271. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

oiiopo wrote:

[/div]

You my friend need a taste of one of my favorite bands ever, Asian Kung-fu Generation. Their music actually varies from J-rock all the way to indie rock. (and the occasional heart warming song here and there.) They're mostly known for their anime opening hits and that saddens me. Some of their best songs are the ones that weren't used for animes. Check'em out if you're in search of J-rock. SID is another fantastic band that has some good J0rock songs. I think they do more J-pop though.

You're right, that name only sounds familiar because of my Naruto days :/ I'll be sure to check them out! And @RR529 , I couldn't get into any of those bands because of how their lead singers dress. I don't normally judge by looks, but that kind of style with the blond hair and eyeliner really puts me off.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

RR529

272. Posted:

^If I'm not mistaken, Kodomo Band wasn't like that.

If I see any more rock groups on J-Melo, I'll let you know.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

273. Posted:

LordOtakWiiU wrote:

^SID did USO right? I like that sng from FMAB

They did. That song is absolutely fantastic IMO. Some other animes they have done are Black Butler.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

RR529

274. Posted:

J-Melo was on tonight.

It was all about Traditional Japanese dance! Pretty cool stuff.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

RR529

275. Posted:

A little late in getting to this today, lol. Itadakimasu! Dining with the Chef was on today.

They made Chicken Wings with Soy Beans. It looked really good.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

RR529

276. Posted:

Journeys in Japan was on today. They showcased Kanazawa.

The city has some very traditional areas. They showcased traditional buildings, an artisan that makes ceramic insects, and showcased some traditional entertainment. Really neat episode.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

RR529

277. Posted:

Imagine-Nation was on tonight. Repeat episode (it was the episode where they showcased the works of Norifusa Mita).

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

RR529

278. Posted:

J-Melo was on tonight. The featured group was VAMPS (a little too metal/goth for my tastes :P)

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

KaiserGX

279. Posted:

Anyone willing to show me what the old currency means. Like what a Koban and such are and their value compared to Yen and American money?

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage

The_Fox

280. Posted:

KaiserGX wrote:

Anyone willing to show me what the old currency means. Like what a Koban and such are and their value compared to Yen and American money?

Its value? Three years of worth of rice for one person. Seriously, that's how the value of the koban was originally determined. So take the current price of rice, figure out how much a person would eat in three years and you have your conversion.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11