Forums

Topic: Could you flip-flop Metroid and Zelda?

Posts 21 to 27 of 27

SomeBitTripFan

Modern Zelda games are much more linear than Metroid games. You always are pointed to your objective. Metroid on the other hand plops you down in the middle of nowhere and sends you off to figure out what to do. Unless you use hints, the games that follow the "classic" Metroid formula never directly tell you where to go. The only truely unlinear Zelda was the original.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

I-U

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

Modern Zelda games are much more linear than Metroid games. You always are pointed to your objective. Metroid on the other hand plops you down in the middle of nowhere and sends you off to figure out what to do. Unless you use hints, the games that follow the "classic" Metroid formula never directly tell you where to go. The only truely unlinear Zelda was the original.

While Metroid games don't directly tell the player where to go (unless they're Other M and Fusion), they don't have the freedom to where the player can choose where they want to go. Metroid, Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Prime Hunters are the exceptions to that for the most part. I wouldn't call them non-linear though as they maintain a guided feel, aside from the original.

Edited on by I-U

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

King_Boo

@Gregor Why do you want my topic locked? As Nintendo's two main action games I thought this would be a fun discussion, but you've been a negative Nancy on the whole thing. The similarities that two franchises already share are numerous and I just wanted to see if there were any ideas that haven't been used in both franchises that might work. Where Samus gets blaster upgrades, Link upgrades his sword. Where Samus gets new suits, Link gets new tunics. Where Samus gets the morph ball, Link gets a transformation or the beetle.
I don't really think making a Zelda game with a ton of backtracking would be a good idea, in fact I hated it in Skyward Sword, or making Samus lose her blaster and rely on plasma sword would work that well, there's no harm in having "what if?' discussions.

Full name King Boo the Nefarious
3DS FC: 5241-1931-6226
PSN: King_Boo922
Nintendo Network ID: KingBoo
http://www.youtube.com/user/KingBoo922

GuSolarFlare

@King_Boo
seems like @Gregor was banned not much time after his post asking for this thread to be locked..... better not talk more about this.... I don't like talking about banning...

and I like the idea of thinking about "what if?"s it's like this that many amazing games were born!

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

Jaz007

That sounds like Zedla as usual to me.

Jaz007

GuSolarFlare

I thought about another flip-flop they could do that would be cool! a darker zelda in a desolate destroyed hyrule with barely any one alive and focused on exploring the world instead of dungeons(now I think about it, sounds much like the first zelda, except the part of removing the focus on dungeons) and a metroid game more lively with many characters to interact and focus on kind of "dungeons"(but not quite dungeons)... but not mixing the game mechanics(this one's obvious) or equipments(it would be soooo wrong having a Link using guns or a samus limited to a slow firing rate weaker weapon + sword to use as the main weapons)

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

TheKingOfTown

It sounds like you want nothing changed

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.