Sabotage Studios' long awaited RPG Sea Of Stars finally has a release date. The classically-inspired adventure, and prequel to The Messenger, will be launching on 29th August.
But if you can't wait until the tail end of summer to play this absolute stunner, then you don't have to. Nintendo announced during today's Direct that a demo will be available to download on the eShop today.
The brand new trailer — which featured during one of the Direct's sizzle reels — showcases the beautiful world we'll get to explore later this summer, along with the fantastic turn-based combat, which takes a leaf out of Chrono Trigger's book.
For more info on the game, here's what Sabotage Studio has shared, along with some new screenshots:
Sea of Stars follows the story of two Children of the Solstice, joining players with youths Valere and Zale as they face their fated duty of becoming Solstice Warriors. By joining their Sun and Moon powers to cast powerful Eclipse Magic, this duo wields the lone power capable of fighting the monstrous creations of the evil alchemist known as The Fleshmancer. Set to a stunning soundtrack including original works by legendary composer Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger) who joins Sabotage Studio’s composer Eric W. Brown, Sea of Stars is poised as one of the year’s absolute must-play games.
Sea of Stars features:
- Active Turn-Based Combat: Pressing the action button in sync with battle animations strengthens a hero’s attacks and reduces incoming damage during defense. Along with interactive timed attacks, combat features boosting and a strategic “locks” system, providing options for leveraging different damage types in order to hinder enemies while they are preparing powerful attacks or spells, all in an immersive take on the RPG genre; no random encounters, transitions to separate battlefields, or grinding.
- Unshackled Traversal: Swim, climb, vault, jump off or scale ledges as you traverse seamlessly through the world with a navigation system based on platformer expertise that breaks free from classic, bound-to-the-ground tileset movement.
- A Story Rich Adventure: Meet dozens of original characters and progress memorable story arcs throughout a captivating journey. Sometimes epic, sometimes silly, and other times emotional, Sea of Stars explores classic themes of adventure and friendship with heart, while also being chock-full of the unexpected twists and events you’d expect from a Sabotage Studio production.
- All Fun, No Tedium: Enjoy experimenting in combat without fear of hitting a wall requiring grinding or farming for unique items; in Sea of Stars, defeat calls for a change in battle plans, not hours of repetition to better the odds in a rematch.
- A World You Can Touch: There are many ways to hang out in the world of Sea of Stars if you feel inclined to change the pace during your adventures. Sailing, cooking, fishing, stopping by a tavern to listen to a song, or playing the beloved tabletop game known as “Wheels” … every system has been designed to deliver an experience that pays tribute to retro classics, while rethinking conventional elements to offer a smooth and refreshingly modernized experience.
- Radiant Lighting: Dynamic lighting effects pair with a world-influencing day/night cycle to make every area feel truly alive, pushing the traditional visual limits of classically stylized 2D pixel art games - the only way to properly tell the story of heroes conjuring the powers of the Sun and the Moon.
Sea of Stars launches on the Switch eShop on 29th August, whole the demo will be available today. Will you be grabbing the game when it releases? How about the demo? Tell us in the comments!
Looks gorgeous. The Switch RPG library keeps getting better and better. Arguably the best RPG lineup since the PS1.
I might not get the game day 1. I got the demo though so who knows.
Also whole the demo? I think that’s a typo.
Edit:great now I look like a hypocrite because I made a typo as well. -_-
Been waiting for this. It looks extremely polished, but my excitement is purely based on the fact that the team behind The Messenger are making this. That game is fantastic, will play the demo first chance I get.
Hope I'm done with Tears of the Kingdom by then. With that, this and Octopath, this year is going to completely ruin my life.
I'll definitely try the demo some time soon. I've been eager to hear more about this one, so it's nice to know I'll be playing it by this Summer.
I’ll snag the demo later today. Really amped to give this a whirl.
Love the look and feel of this one.
My most anticipated Switch game this year by a mile. Not sure if I want to play the demo or not. Kind of leaning not since I'll just be sad waiting another 6 months.
Nice! Legit a day after my birthday. I don't think it's really a prequel to the messenger. Wasn't that a ninja game? Same creators sure, same world ehhh...bit of a stretch.
Damn I can't wait for this. I'm so glad there's a demo to try.
This is literally the only game I’m still looking forward to, which is pretty sad.
One of a large-ish number I am looking fwd to in particular. Looks great.
So glad that there is a demo! Probably instant buy but I will check demo first, like Octopath Traveler 1 that I indeed purchased it !
the demo totally slaps. I've been staying updated with the goings-on of this game for a long time now and eagerly awaiting more news on it, so I jumped when I saw a demo available! the game looks amazing, feels amazing, and has an overall wonderful aesthetic. Aside from that though, the gameplay is lovely. combat is immersive and challenging, very reminiscent of Chrono Trigger and games like that, but with an active element to it. the characters are awesome and super fun to use too!
This game will be a day one purchase for me hands down.
Was already in the wishlist and there it absolutely stays, looks great!
Yeap I got it on my wishlist, will try the demo after I'm done with the Octopath Traveler II and Wandering Sword demo.
This does look good.
I'm also still excited for Hazlenut Bastille but looks like that game has disappeared into the ether.
One of the games that I have been most interested in. Played enough of the demo last night to reinforce that interest, and then deleted it to avoid spoilers. Looking forward to the full game release.
@BongoBongo123 I was wondering what happened with that game. It seemed pretty far into production.
This finally answered the question "IS THERE FISHING IN THIS JRPG?"
Yes. Yes, there is fishing,
Finished the demo last night, absolutely loved it. I’m not crazy about the character design, but the combat was a blast, and exploring the environments and puzzles was good fun too. Music was fantastic as well; as expected, the whole thing has Chrono Trigger vibes which is just lovely. Ended with a really engaging boss fight. I am 100% sold! 👍🏼
I'll try it once I snap out of the Octopath Traveler 2 demo trance. Right now I'm too mesmerized
Tap here to load 22 comments
Leave A Comment
Hold on there, you need to login to post a comment...