We have a turn-up for the books in the weekly Famitsu charts! Not only are there eight new titles in the software sales category, but Sony has taken a firm grasp of the top ten, with seven of the week's best sellers releasing on either the PlayStation 4 or 5.
The best-selling Switch game of the week is SD Gundam Battle Alliance, a multiplayer action RPG set in the hugely popular Gundam universe. The game has charted three separate times — on Switch, PS4, and PS5 — with the Nintendo release of the game placing in second place right behind Earth Defense Force 6 on PS4. The Gundam game managed to sell a respectable 38,634 units on its debut on the hybrid console.
The only other two Switch games amidst the top ten are Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Nintendo Switch Sports, at seven and eight respectively. This is the biggest drop for Nintendo Switch Sports since its release. That means Kirby's Dream Buffet, Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak, and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 have slipped out of the top ten.
Here's the full top ten for the week of 22nd August to 28th August:
- [PS4] Earth Defense Force 6 (D3 Publisher, 08/26/22) – 68,341 (New)
- [NSW] SD Gundam Battle Alliance (Bandai Namco, 08/25/22) – 38,634 (New)
- [PS4] Soul Hackers 2 (ATLUS, 08/25/22) – 31,604 (New)
- [PS5] Earth Defense Force 6 (D3 Publisher, 08/26/22) – 24,363 (New)
- [PS5] Soul Hackers 2 (ATLUS, 08/25/22) – 20,257 (New)
- [PS4] SD Gundam Battle Alliance (Bandai Namco, 08/25/22) – 17,950 (New)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 11,644 (4,802,581)
- [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 10,576 (706,637)
- [PS4] Saints Row (PLAION, 08/23/22) – 10,013 (New)
- [PS5] SD Gundam Battle Alliance (Bandai Namco, 08/25/22) – 9,625 (New)
Software sales have also seen Sony doing incredibly well, with the PlayStation 5 selling nearly 22,000 units. However, it can't make a dent in the Switch OLED's 87,321 units sold. The Switch models are a bit more split up this week, with the OLED a the top, the regular model in third, and the Lite in fifth behind the Xbox Series X.
- Switch OLED Model – 87,321 (2,311,142)
- PlayStation 5 – 21,628 (1,629,033)
- Switch – 17,558 (18,616,044)
- Xbox Series X – 10,044 (154,575)
- Switch Lite – 8,651 (4,870,733)
- Xbox Series S – 6,682 (163,699)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 3,481 (262,312)
- New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 130 (1,188,550)
- PlayStation 4 – 15 (7,819,839)
Let us know what you think of the latest Japanese charts in the comments!