The Famitsu Japanese charts for the first full week of April are in, and, well, it's a pretty similar story to last week.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land continues to crush the competition. While sales numbers have almost halved compared to last week, Kirby still sold nearly four times more than the next best-selling game, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
No new releases have cracked into this week's top ten either, and Elden Ring is still the only non-Nintendo game up there.
Here are the full figures for the week of 4th April to 10th April:
- [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo, 03/25/22) – 59,960 (550,966)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 16,312 (4,554,586)
- [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 9,580 (2,595,462)
- [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus (The Pokemon Company, 01/28/22) – 8,548 (2,216,676)
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 8,064 (4,840,518)
- [PS4] Elden Ring (FromSoftware, 02/25/22) – 6,190 (323,804)
- [NSW] Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo, 10/29/21) – 5,534 (933,351)
- [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 5,114 (1,998,774)
- [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 5,040 (3,117,477)
- [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 4,556 (7,230,055)
Looking at hardware sales, it feels like the Japanese market has used its copy ability here too. The Switch OLED is still the champion, but the PlayStation 5 and Switch have swapped places, with the hybrid console back in a secure second place. It looks like the Switch is going to hit 20 million sales sometime this year, easily.
- Switch OLED Model – 34,892 (1,559,443)
- Switch – 16,787 (18,176,464)
- PlayStation 5 – 10,573 (1,310,651)
- Switch Lite – 9,483 (4,669,530)
- Xbox Series S – 3,917 (80,504)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 651 (228,756)
- New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 194 (1,184,843)
- Xbox Series X – 151 (92,263)
- PlayStation 4 – 14 (7,819,418)
Let us know what you think of the sales figures, especially Kirby's success, in the comments.
Wow, Switch is over 24 million across the three variants... Incredible!
Switch OLED model has now passed the PS5 (including Digital Edition) in lifetime sales in Japan.
Ring Fit Adventure is a great success story for Nintendo.
Japan belongs to Switch and Nintendo.
GREAT JOB KIRBY
The fact that the PS4 port of Elden Ring is the only one selling over there proves that not every customers in Japan own a PS5 yet. Either that or they are buying the PS4 version thinking they would be able to upgrade to the PS5 one for free avoiding that $70 (around 9000 yenn) price tag that Sony is trying to scam their customers for or just satisfied with just that one due to the cheaper price and better value.
The Switch is on top again, so happy for Kirby. Getting the recognition it finally deserves.
Considering Lite is on its way out that only reason it dropped to 3rd as they will no longer find it profitable to make it instead will concentrate on Switch v2 model and OLED only.
OLED model slaying all comers. Nintendolife commenters couldn’t see the point of it, but they’re renowned for having their fingers on the ball and getting it right. @GrailUK remember not to mention Elden Ring. It’s a very serious thing. Elden Ring is like the 21st century equivalent of prog rock.
@WiltonRoots The fact it's the only non Nintendo game in the charts speaks volumes. Without Elden Ring, I'm sure there would be no Zelda!
Switch is still doing great. Has it had a price drop yet? Has any of the games had one? Blimey. Don't remember a console performing this strongly before without selects etc.
Seeing the gacha game in the thumbnail made me realise that the mushroom enemies (I believe their name is Cappy?) would've been perfect for the design: mushroom on top, adorable shocked face on bottom. Bada bing bada boom, sorted.
It's great to see Kirby doing so well though. Kirby's always one of those series that you hold near and dear to you once you play it so to see it on top yet again means there'll be more opportunities in the future to see the pink puffball strut his stuff which is a win win for everyone in the end. He's just so CUTE.
Well deserved, Kirby.
Did Lego Star Wars not have a big launch in Japan?
@Axecon 🤔Hmmm...It was a global release on April 5th so it should be on the list. Probably in the 15-20th ranking
Love this game a lot but I tell you some of the missions for rescuing Waddle Dees can seriously ***** do one. If their intention was to make the game more challenging then this ain't it Chief this is just making it tedious.
Lol just as well swearing is censored here as I tend to swear like a sailor when I get frustrated.
Don't mind me to whoever sees this I'm just thinking out loud again 😅
Tap here to load 16 comments
Leave A Comment
Hold on there, you need to login to post a comment...