Just weeks after Nintendo wrapped up content development for Animal Crossing: New Horizons, the team at Camelot has now officially released the last of its major updates for Mario Golf: Super Rush.
It adds the new playable characters Shy Guy and Wiggler (yes, Wiggler). Two new levels: Shelltop Sanctuary and All-Star Summit, and two new modes - 'Target Golf' and 'One-On, One-Putt'. Along with this are a number of game balance adjustments and general updates.
Below are the full patch notes, courtesy of Nintendo's official support page:
Ver. 4.0.0 (Released November 23, 2021)
- Added Playable Character, “Wiggler”
- Wiggler has been added as a playable character playable in matches. He is a power-type character that uses his long body to send the ball farther.
- When he uses a Special Shot or is attacked, he will become enraged and power up for a certain amount of time:
- Ball flight distance increases by 1.1 times.
- In "Speed Golf", in addition to distance, running speed and Special Dash speed will be enhanced by 1.25 times. In addition, the Special Dash will change from a straight shot to a special shot that hits the ground and sends out a shockwave.
- His Special Shot has the effect of blowing away balls from its point of impact, as well as the surrounding area, due to the impact of the berries that are launched with it.
- Added Playable Character “Shy Guy”
- Shy Guy has been added as a playable character to choose from in Matches. He is a well-balanced, all-around character that is easy to use in any situation.
- His Special Dash uses the help of the Fly Guys to keep him flying until his gauge runs out, or a button is pressed. Use it at the right time to get an advantage over your opponent.
- His Special Shot has the effect of blowing away balls around its point of impact.
- Added Golf Course, “Shelltop Sanctuary”
- Added the full course “Shelltop Sanctuary”, made entirely of short holes.
- Shelltop Sanctuary, where Cheep Cheeps fly to and fro, is a short course with all of its 18 holes being Par 3.
- Two difficulty levels can be selected: “Amateur”, and “Pro”. Switching between them will greatly change the location of the green.
- Added Golf Course, “All-Star Summit”
- Added the full course “All-Star Summit”, which uses illustrations of Mario and others as a motif.
- This course features familiar characters, and the design of the green and the bunkers is different from other courses, so you can enjoy employing a different kind of strategy.
- The brick blocks strewn throughout the course can be broken by hitting them with a shot, or special dash. Break them to acquire coins that refill your Energy.
- Get on top of the clouds found on the course to travel to opposite banks, or acquire Star Coins to fully charge your Energy.
- Added New Mode, “Target Golf”
- A new mode that allows you to play with just tee shots, without needing to know the detailed rules of golf.
- Players take turns shooting a total of five balls at a circular target, competing for the highest score based on points awarded according to the position they hit. The closer the ball is to the center of the target, the higher the score will. If another player scores in an area first, however, the area will not be scored until the board resets. During play, ball types can change, and high-scoring targets appear that offer a chance for reversal.
- Can be played with Motion Controls.
- In the Play Golf menu, you can play against four other players with a single Joy-Con on a single Nintendo Switch. You can also play against four other players in Local Play and Online Play.
- In the Solo Challenge menu, you can also play the single player challenge content Solo Score Challenge, Target Golf. The challenge is to see how many points you can score before you miss three times, while the ball type and wind direction changes.
- Added New Mode, “One-On, One-Putt”
- One-On, One-Putt has been added to Solo Score Challenge, a mode where you must hit the green on the first swing and then putt into the cup on the second swing. The first shot must be on the green and the second shot must be in the cup.
- You can play this mode on New Donk City and Shelltop Sanctuary, which consist of short courses only, in Amateur and Pro configurations, respectively. In Shelltop Sanctuary, there is a Special difficulty level that requires you to use a special club for each hole.
- Game Balance Adjustments
- Changed the amount of Energy Gauge recovered when obtaining coins from 1% to 4%.
- Adjusted the number of coins that drop around you when you are attacked.
- When attacking another player with Special Dash, the coins dropped by the opponent will now be automatically collected.
- Stamina consumption when dashing with the B button has been reduced.
- When Stamina has completely depleted and the B button is being held down, after a fixed amount of time, Stamina will recover and the player can start dashing again, even if the B button is continuously held down.
- CPUs now aim more to collect the Coins and Hearts on the course than before.
- CPUs will now aim Special Shots and Special Dashes at other players more than before.
- Medals are now displayed on the Main Menu, which allow you to check your completion of challenges and achievements.
- A guide explaining how to play will now display every time at the start of using Motion Controls.
- Spin will no longer be added after Pin Shots, and Flag Shots.
- Adjusted the positioning of some of the garbage cans and benches in New Donk City.
- Fixed an issue where Wario's Special Dash would sometimes hit an invisible wall above other players while going airborne.
- Fixed additional issues to improve playability and game balance.
Have you downloaded this latest update for Mario Golf: Super Rush yet? Notice anything else? Comment below.
[source en-americas-support.nintendo.com, via twitter.com]
did they add a mode where you need to hit the button a third time for accuracy?
So does "last free update" mean the game is getting paid DLC? That's very specific wording, especially after the Animal Crossing expansion, which they said would be the only paid update for the game.
It's nice to finally have what feels like a finished, $60 game. This game has honestly been my biggest gaming disappointment this year, but I look forward to dipping back into it. New Donk City was great, but the last two courses they introduced were pretty meh. The oasis one was okay, but I thought the snow one completely sucked.
I doubt this update will be enough to make the game reach the heights of previous Mario Golf games, and frankly, I think an HD port of World Tour would have been better. But I'm glad to see more content, and if the game gets substantial paid DLC, I might buy it if the course design is better than the ones we've gotten so far. Just remaster some courses from previous games.
Here's hoping Mario Party Superstars also gets the free update treatment with new boards (but I'll pay if I have to), and if this really is the last update, I hope Golden Sun fans are given a bone next. What else does Camelot have to do?
I haven’t purchased the game yet, I was waiting to see if the updates made it worth purchasing. I’m on edge—this puts it pretty close to what I was looking for originally but I’m not quite sure it’s there as I was hoping for a few more courses. If I can get it on sale I think there is enough value to make it worth it.
Whoa. Pretty hefty update! If I didn't have a lot going on right now, this would probably be enough to tip me over the edge, but I'll probably wait til next spring for it to go 33% off or something.
Wow!! Huge update. I'll play this weekend
That's nice, I guess I'm fine with this being the last update. I wish there was still more strategy involved with which club you use in certain situations, though. Sometimes I pull the driver out on the green just for fun, and half the time I actually hit it in.
@StarPoint to be fair there's nothing stopping you from putting with a driver irl
Wiggler is kinda random, but I’m here for it lol
This is the last free update, which is not the same wording as ACNH. So, it's possible there will be paid DLC. Frankly, if that is the case, it better be substantial because people say the base game doesn't have a lot of courses and such.
sigh sorry plum.looks like you have to wait a bit longer.😔
@Not_Soos I'm pretty sure they said basically the exact same thing for Mario Maker 2's final update, so I kinda doubt it
oh right. I should play this again sometime.
@Fighting_Game_Loser I just double-checked, and all they said in the Course World trailer was that it was the "last major update."
I just couldn't get into this version. Mario Golf needs to be as much like the N64 version as possible. Same with MARIO Tennis.
@Not_Soos Oh, ok then. I guess Camelot could possibly come back with a mega dlc some point down the road, but idk what they would do considering they added a lot of main stuff that would probably be included in a dlc pack. Maybe if they added a super big chunk of courses and characters? Or maybe a new type of big mode?
@Waluigi451 Yeah, Wiggler's the man in all Mario sports games
Lol, I just now read the full patch notes.
"Adjusted the positioning of some of the garbage cans and benches in New Donk City."
@SpaceboyScreams Or a hockey stick.
That’s a total of what 5 courses added? That seems pretty good and they made the CPU’s actually not terrible at the game from what I heard
I’ll check out the new courses over the weekend.
I'm really hoping Nintendo does some additional content for Mario Party Superstars with some new boards and mini games.
A great game just got better, can't wait to try the new courses!
Personally I find this massively disappointing. New Donk (and I'm sure Shelltop Sanctuary) is great but it's not really a full course being entirely Par 3s. Only three full courses brings the game to what it should have been at launch. Compared to World Tour and it's robust base game content and largely outstanding DLC this game with it's simplified (or at the very least not classic Mario Golf style) control scheme is a borderline dud. A lack of ability to toggle the gimmicky course hazards and few other options is another major qualm I have with this iteration. The music is generic, uninspired and completely divorced from the spirit of Mario sports titles. Camelot has truly fallen from grace in my eyes. It's too bad because this was one of my absolute most wanted games on switch.
Did they fix that wind stage being the second stage in the campaign? Because that was garbage and almost made me quit entirely. I'm convinced that I am not bad at the game, the windy stage just sucks. ESPECIALLY for level 2 in campaign
Excellent. This makes me crave a potential future update for Mario Party Superstars with more characters and maps. Maybe even a new mode possibly.
Is Nintendo always asking their developers to ensure each of their games have a short lifecycle? I can't help but notice that none of these games ever give an incentive to stay evergreen.
Thank you Nintendo, you made a great game even better. Mario golf is the best golf game out there, and have played them all. This is the best, when it comes to any game, Nintendo makes the highest quality games than anyone else, you don't like their games? Then do not play them and let real gamers have the fun they deserve.
4.0? Damn. Here is hoping to get it all in cart later (probably not).
@ModdedInkling - I am not sure what you're getting at here, you implying they NEED more constant free updates to remain "evergreen?"
Come on, WarioWare and Donkey Kong characters need to start showing up in these kinds of games, some of the old forgotten characters like Plum and Charlie would be nice too.
Sorry but those courses above look super ugly. Look like fan mods. How did they manage to make the Mario universe look so depressing?
@ModdedInkling "Evergreen" is just PR talk to describe a game where the sales aren't front loaded and drop off to almost nothing quickly and instead one that continues to sell consistently over a long period of time. It has nothing to do with how many updates are put out for it.
Awesome additions and the shell course looks amazing, have held off playing even before the last free update DLC, so will now get back into it.
Another LAST free update....
Might get it because there won't be any more updates now
It released with 5 courses, another 5 have been added with the 3 updates plus modes and a few characters ...
It's an ok game for me, but with the updates it's now a solid par. For those on the fence it's probably time to get it. It now has a decent amount of content.
I think they added enough, World Tour is still the best one, but this deserves a 2nd place. Is the one with more characters, more courses (except for World Tour + DLC), have a good story mode (better than World Tour but worse than the GB titles), a good amount of modes (thanks to the updates), and good visuals. It was just "ok" at launch, but now it's pretty solid.
Meh, the additional courses (aside from New Donk) have been disappointing, and designed around speed golf, which the game has really hung its' hat on. For somebody who loved Mario Golf on the N64, the lack of single player tournaments, and any requirement for accuracy / 3-click just kills this game for me.
I tried my best with this game there is just something missing as others have said it’s not a patch on the n64 version just have to play everybody’s golf on vita for my golfing fix
Haven’t played this in a while. Will give it a try
I really tried to like it, but i just can't.
The sacrifices they made to make speed golf possible (a.e. any and all ability to pre-set spin and see it on the guideline) completely ruined the game for me.
Imho, Mario Golf was always strongest when it almost felt like a strategy game. This one...it's great on a flat course, but as soon as elevation is involved, it completely breaks apart.
Sadly, my least favorite game this year and by far my most regretted purchase. And as much as i appreciate these updates, more content doesn't improve a flawed base.
I was looking forward to this game, but when it was released it didn't have the wow factor, it was rather bland and certainly looked incomplete.
Unfortunately the drip feeding of the dlc hasn't encouraged me to want to pick up and play again.
I think I was expecting more of an arcade golf game and while it is an arcade game of sorts its not archadey enough.
@zool Which is ironic, since it's by far the most "Arcady" golf game out there. Everything is designed around having as little prep and setup time as possible, you have items and powerups on courses etc.
What exactly where you looking for is this doesn't seem "arcady" enough?
Because i would go so far as to say that every version before this comes off as a golf sim in comparison
@ModdedInkling Agreed. Ive been wondering this for a while too, which is why I rarely buy Nintendo games now.
What a disasappointment this Mario Golf was for me. As a golf game is pretty pretty bad, the lack of content was only a part of its problems. The core golfing mechanic is broken, its even more aggravating considering how good the GC and 3DS versions were (even if the 3ds dlcs pack was expensive, it added a ton of good content). Hitting a ball out of the sand and into the green with the driver LOL
@Einherjar it is more the courses
rather than the power-up, they bland.
@Jumping_Dead Come on, being able to give the ball a mid-air zig zag spin via QTE gave it back that dash of realism
But yeah, wholeheartedly agreed.
Wait… Wiggler!!!!???!!! He’s the GOAT. I love it when he’s added as a playable character… which sadly is once in a blue moon. It’s a shame that despite being a huge Mario Golf fan, I think this game is mediocre. I’ve played every Mario Golf and loved them all until this entry. Played it for multiple hours at my brothers house and as long time fans we just couldn’t get into it.
I’d consider giving it a go if it was really cheap with Wiggler and the extra game modes. Is it on sale anywhere?
This is amazing! Had a bit of time away from this due to other games but I will defo be back on this over the weekend. Can't wait to finally use Shy Guy and the new course look awesome.
Aw Man, so there won't be a classic single-player tournament? Meh!
This is about what I wanted the game to look like before I buy it. I guess it's time!
"Last Free" = DLC. And/or, future add-ons being part of the "Expansion" pack.
Very Nice, excited to get this game
@PBandSmelly A couple updates ago they changed the requirement from 30 shots to 40. It took me about six tries myself to do it in 30.
@Jayenkai If they do make it part of the expansion pack, then they've made one additional sale of the expansion pack here.
@obeythed1734 The music is absolutely my least favorite part of this game. I played the N64 version a bunch in anticipation of this game and that soundtrack is so catchy and fun to this day. This game I have the music off and listen to my own when I play.
Removed - unconstructive
HUH!? I've been so engrossed in ACNH I didn't even realize this came out yesterday! I am shocked that there are no new battle course arenas and Birdo is still not playable. Hope this has at least one massive paid expansion, as I would love for Diddy or Nabbit to be playable in this game; if not however the free updates to this one have been meatier than expected. Very happy with my purchase.
@B238ben I would say don't get it. Just stick to the previous entries. Even with this update it's missing so much that the previous games offered
Yeah, not being able to swing for accuracy and the lack of CPU difficulty levels is what's holding me back. Maybe I'll grab it on sale
@Dimey @Deepdoop @MJF Accuracy is still in the game. The harder you hit a ball and the worse terrain you're hitting it from, the higher range of accuracy your shot has.
Personally I think if you are going to release a practically empty game at launch with promises of updates. Then the updates should feel substantial enough that it feels more than what you would have gotten with just a typical release. Here we have Nintendo releasing half finished games and finishing them as they go. I hate this practice.
The Mario sports games are really underrated. Mario Golf, Tennis, Strikers, 3-On-3 Hoops, + Sonic at the Olympics, but especially Mario BASEBALL/SLUGGERS. I'd also love a robust, online redone Mario Sports Mix collection featuring other sports for Switch!
But fingers 🤞🏾 Mario Super Sluggers ⚾ & Mario Strikers ⚽ are next!
... or a Golden Sun Remastered Collection and/or new entry from Camelot.
... Wun can only hope.
I wish I could give someone my digital copy for free - cuz I literally get no joy out of playing
With all the DLC together it will have turned out to be a solid Mario Golf outing. The intial release was decent but a little light. I liked it anyway
This is amazing, and it's such a shame we get it now. All this free DLC pretty much negates 80% of the negative opinions in reviewers. Not enough homes, no special Mario courses, not enough modes.... The like!
@Bret maybe 'accuracy' is the wrong word. Sadly, luck determines if a shot goes where you aimed, not skill. If you back off the power, it still doesn't mean the shot will go where you aim. Unforgivable in a golf game. But understandable that they dumbed it down, as they only care about speed golf, hence no 3-click mechanic, no single player tournaments, etc. I've still enjoyed playing it, but most of the DLC courses are awful for single player golf, being designed as speed golf courses instead.
Tap here to load 65 comments
Leave A Comment
Hold on there, you need to login to post a comment...